Depreciation estimate for ND after 1yr?

Good result!

nice looking car :+1:

1 Like

Top work you’ll enjoy that! Really pleased for you.

In regards to headroom the car has a built in fix for that… when it stops raining :smiley:

1 Like

In light to medium rain the roof should still be down. Only heavy or torrential rain or 40+ degree sun should cause the roof to go up.

1 Like

Wiser words have never been spoken

I think that is actually the law.
The other law in our house is opening the dishwasher for an item, and not emptying the thing. Dishwasher Crime is frowned upon; but Top Up motoring is way more heinous.

1 Like

Broke my own rule today. Heavy rain (wipers on speed 2). Roof down. Didn’t get wet. NC2 PRHT.

1 Like

New or used cars generally depreciate by 33% of the purchase price after 3 years and 50% after 5 years. The rate of depreciation eventually slows down when they become cheap cars, where condition is more of a factor is determining their value. NBs, NCs and NDs will comply with those general rules.

NAs are an exception at the moment. Good ones seem to be having negative depreciation.

I have just ordered a new Sport Tech 2.0 in Soul Red. I thought long and hard about depreciation and looked at some 4 year old cars at about £15k-£16k (really fancied a Recaro), but as I will be using finance, they were a similar amount to a new car (mazda have some good low interest deals at the moment).

I realise that after 3 years I would have virtually owned the older car, but will hopefully hang on to some of my initial deposit on the new car. But it will come with a warranty and no ongoing repairs should be needed.

However prices for new cars have gone up recently (CO2 tax), there will be less cars around (as someone previously said, especially 2.0 cars) and it will not be long before you just cannot buy this sort of car. So I bit the bullet and got rid of my NA and am looking forward to a new car. Hopefully if it is worth £15k (trade value) after 3 years I will be happy (ie 50%).

Either way, they are all MX5’s so whatever you get you are a winner!!!

4 Likes

Look forward to seeing your new Sport Tech… Last time I looked, the ND’s with the revised 2.0 (184) were maintaining strong residuals. I bought my July 2018 ND2 SportNav+ when it was almost 2 years old and was just shy of £20k! This was largely like you say, that due to new CO2 taxes increasing the new price which in turn has brought up used values… These great little cars won’t be available for ever - so just enjoy…! And any excuse to put up a pic of mine…!

Looks great.

I did not really like the NB or NC, but they did a really great job with the ND - I am counting down the days…

Also I have never driven one yet, so interesting to see how it goes!!

Expected arrival?

You’ll love it and the way it drives…

I bought my 6 month old nd2 rf in August last year, it had 196miles on the clock and I saved 5k from new price. I would have loved to have ordered a new one, but I’m saving that for the final edition thats bound to come out before the ev( if mazda bother) one.

1 Like

Late Feb/Early March…

I hope that you are right about the residuals ! I bought my ND 2.0 GT Sport Nav+ new in October 2019 and because of winter hibernation and covid restrictions it has only done 1050 miles since.

Congratulations on the order. The 0% finance and some discount does make it attractive.
Don’t hold your breath on having equity at the end of the deal, PCPs very rarely do. But go in aware of this, and if you’re keeping the car at the end anyway, it’s not an issue.
Surprised you have not driven one, big gamble, do you fit, can you get comfortable?

I have done a few PCP deals over the years and know that I usually get 50% of my deposit back, so as the final payment after 3 years is £10k, If it is worth more than £13k I will be happy. If you look at what 3 year old cars are going for now, that should be ok. Also you have to look at the trade value not the market value, as there can be a big difference.

I have sat in one for about 30 seconds and it seemed ok. The NA I had seemed ok and as I am only 5foot 10, I am sure I will be fine as I understand that it is those over 6 foot that struggle…

Anyway, counting the days!!!

1 Like

I’m 6ft and have no problems, find it a little more cramped than my NA mind