Difficulty selecting 1st gear

Just back from viewing a v nice NC 3.5 Sport Tech, apart from the fact it was really difficult to select 1st gear. Gear changing was fine through the box, but whenever you stopped and needed to select first, it was problematic.

Is this likely to be the 6 speed notchy issue (and just treat it to some new gearbox oil) or something else?

Any thoughts?

Highly likely to be that the clutch pedal needs a bit of adjustment to minimise clearance, also the clutch could probably do with new fluid and bleeding. Note:the clutch shares the fluid with the brakes.

There are several topics regarding this on the forum.

I don’t know the 6 speed because I have a 5 speed box in my NC 3.5, mine was awful particularly when cold when I bought it, fixed now by the above.

Roy

3 Likes

If you are viewing to buy. Plan and negotiate for a complete clutch replacement. If it then turns out it can be fixed simply with adjustment and bleeding then happy days.
If it was a simple fix why had it not already been done?

1 Like

Not everyone realises that the clutch pedal is adjustable

1 Like

was it only difficult to engage when the engine (gearbox) was cold?

where was the clutch bite point? right in the carpet?

If the answer to the above 2 are “yes” then you should be able to sort it easily - adjust the pedal / change the 'box oil

2 Likes

As you mention that the rest of the gear selections are OK and the issue is related only to selecting first gear, then my nomination for a cause would be that the gear selector limiter plate is worn and requires replacement.

See this thread on here for experiences.

Link to part on MX5parts.co.uk website.

Milk the issue during negotiations if you intend to buy, but the fix is an easy one.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, but how easy is the easy fix? Joe Bloggs easy or Edd China easy?!

And what about clutch adjustments? How “easy” is this? Unfortunately I don’t have anywhere to complete any in depth procedures, so would probably need to take it to a local garage.

McTrucky’s step-by-step guide to replacement of the NC 6 speed gearbox selection limiter plate.

Only you can decide what is within your abilities.

My personal view; it is a doddle and the most difficult part of the job is getting the window switch unplugged.

If you elect to do the job, whilst you are in there ensure that you have some appropriate oil available to replace / top up the turret.

When I mentioned it, the guy said it had always been like that (he’s had it 4 years), and thought it must be normal to have to find the right “slot” to engage 1st?

Is the clutch biting point somewhere in the carpet??
If so, adjusting the clutch pedal is a pretty simple but rather awkward job.

I am of the view that all this discussion of clutch adjustment is irrelevant to the specific query raised by the OP, who has the specific issue of difficulty physically selecting first gear and first gear only.

OP, I had the same issue with my 70k miles 2009 2.0 Sport Tech. I replaced the gear limiter plate as described and the improvement in the precision of the selection of first gear was remarkable; no more rummaging for a gear at the traffic lights. I have made no adjustments to the clutch pedal mechanism.

4 Likes

When I first had my 2007 NC, engaging first was difficult. However instead of adjusting the clutch, I adjusted the carpet. I found the hook under the seat that stops the carpet moving down under the pedals…

I have this issue with my RF but RRG Mazda won’t recognise it as an issue, very frustrating.

I too have the same problem with 1st gear. It’s also a six speed box.
It’s only notchy when cold, after about five minutes when the engine is warm it’s fine. Just got used to it.

Isnt this to do with the gate ? I recall someone writing in dept about selecting second gear when cold and it is the plastic gate that needed replacing.

1 Like

Do you know, you could be on to something there, Keith.