Does my NC have bluetooth?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC 2011
  2. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

Why I don’t seem to have bluetooth. The steering wheel button mutes the audio, despite the manual suggesting it should have bluetooth.

Was it an optional extra?

That button is mute in my NC PRHT

Bose Head unit ?

PRHT here too

Yep, Bose

Then it should have bluetooth. It is however very much of its time. With a compatible phone you can do hands free calls, it wont however stream audio etc.

Thanks, that’s what I thought, hence the headscratching.

I disconnected/reconnected the ROOM fuse in case the Bluetooth module needed a reset but that hasn’t done anything. Might take the panel off to check if it has the module fitted.

But that’s for another day. Ordered an aux Bluetooth dongle for now.

It should have Bluetooth but my first thought is that as the car is about 12/13 years old, is there a compatibility issue with a modern phone! I would expect it to be backward compatible. Secondly, how many phones have been linked to the Bose before, probably unknown, the owners handbook say a max of 7, has the system reached its max number?
Reading through my 2010 handbook, it is long winded method of pairing them. I did a quick google and there is a lot on how so maybe this would be your best way to see how to do it but do delete any old phones already in its memory.

1 Like

There’s the rub. No evidence of anything Bluetooth other than the button on the wheel, which should beep after a short or long press, according to the manual.

But it doesn’t. It mutes the radio, which is what the manual describes it should do when there’s no Bluetooth. Except in that case the button should have MUTE on it.

:thinking:

Just tried mine, ignition sw on aux, radio playing I pushed the button, got the beep, radio muted and the word “listening” appeared on the Bose screen.
There has been a few cases in the past of plugs on the rear of the Bose unit not pushed home fully, could be especially if you’ve only just acquired the vehicle and the previous owner has removed something in that area or reinstated the original audio system.

Pretty sue that it’s all contained within the head unit, ie no separate module.

What happens when/if you look for bluetooth connections with your phone ?

Nothing comes up. Ah, thought I’d read somewhere that there was a separate module behind the seats. I’ll get behind the Bose unit in that case and as @coconino suggests see if there’s anything obvious.

cliveju posted this diagnostic procedure a while back, it’s part way down the thread.

Might help.

The amplifier is behind the seats. Could be that’s what you read about.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the Bluetooth module is behind the glovebox somewhere, t’ll probably have a sticker with the Bluetooth Symbol on it. They do give trouble. With the ignition off, try disconnecting it if you can find it, wait a minute or so, reconnect it then turn the ignition and radio on then try and use it again. If you can’t find the unit give I’ll look up its exact location.

Thank you, will take a look, hopefully tomorrow and report back.

Quite possibly!

Thanks, tried the button presses but alas no joy.

I followed the instructions in the owners handbook. It’s not the best system, a bit clunky compared to more modern ones but it works for phonecalls. Just a shame you can’t stream music over it… For reference mine is bose on a 14 plate :+1:.

For streaming music, you could try a bluetooth module that connects to the headunit’s aux in. Plenty available, no idea what the sound quality is like (probably awful).