Doin' it all wrong

I have just gone out and bought my first MX-5/Roadster not quite on impulse but pretty close! It is a Cat C insurance write off, so it needs a VIC check but I have just got a 12 month MOT ticket straight off the delivery trailer, so it cannot be that bad.

I will be asking lots of silly questions as time goes on as I’ll need to decide whether to improve and keep this car or sell it on and buy another/look for the special “one” for me.

Now I had better find out how to post pictures. 

Hi Jeremy, good luckWaving 

Welcome jeremy996 we have one rule YOU have to wave at all other mx5’s Big Smile

Alan

G’day mate Welcome to the forum–
Instructions re pics here
.Forum Technical Index

Welcome

greetings Jeremy               Waving

Who’s to say you’ll doing it all wrong…what is the age of your car?? as the older to car the less needs to be wrong with it before it’s ‘cated’…as it’s all to do with the value…the insurance company use big bodyshops at at least £60 per hour so it doesn’t take all before the cost of labour will write it off and thats before the main dealer parts come into it.

If the car has a VIC marker against it you will not be able to tax or change the details on the V5 till it’s removed…the cost is £41 and all they do is simple check that you’ve not ‘rung’ the car.

I’ve had a car that insurance company bodyshop quoted around £2000 to repair and i had it done for £400, yes ok i have used this bodyshop a few times so i do know them the job was fitted in around there work as more of a fill-in but it kept the costs down, a very good job was done and we were both happy.

Hello & welcome to the forum Waving.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Bill

welcome jeremy and good luck with your project Waving

I think I have cracked pictures now, so here come the first silly question. 

My car has an aftermarket gear lever that turns quite freely on the end of the shaft. Is it supposed to? How do I get it off? Can anyone suggest where to source an original/better one?

The gearlever

I’ve also booked the VIC check in Peterborough. Anyone had the pleasure of a VIC check and can describe the process?

If there is a collar on the bottom part of the gear lever knob, try to unscrew it and you may find one or two grub screws that need tightening up.

The VIC test is very easy, all they look at is the vin number to make sure you’ve not ‘rung’ it! and thats it you shouldn’t be there anymore than 20 minutes…happy days…

VIC inspection booked for Thursday 26th May 2011 and paid for. Sneaky that, getting the money in advance.

Gear lever refastened as one grub screw was missing and replaced with sticky tape by previous owner. One new grub screw manufactured and installed! Yipee!

Roll on Thursday! Then it will be all legal.

13:30PM today, it passed! a Eunos Roadster back on the road for the cost of an MOT and a VIC, (not forgetting the eBay damage)!

Now the questions start; following a drive, 80 miles round trip for the VIC, I have some noise from the rear suspension on brisk acceleration; possible diagnosis please?

that;s great news Thumbs up

First off, it may be just road noise. Second check the oil in the diff. is topped up ok.

I’m a newbie here too. Only joined this week Smile Sorry I can’t find a wave thingy.

Got the V5C yesterday and so I’ve taxed and insured the car for use. Used the club insurance scheme, so insurance was £191 for 3000 miles. Now need to get some bugs out.

When accelerating hard the car has a tendency to steer to the right, dodgy suspension bushes? or something else, suggestions for testing welcome.