Door Protector

Hi all, in my current garage there are a couple of pieces of carpet on the walls to protect my beloved from any chips and they do come in useful, being a fairly narrow garage. We are hoping to move house and the new garage does not have any such protection. I may well just take the trusty carpet with me, but does anybody have any recommendations for any alternative products?

I screwed some foam pipe insulation to the wall.

1 Like

I have carpet (left by the previous owners) in one garage, and one of these in the other:

31HuyfcYK+L.AC

1 Like

I got some specific for doors sticky foam pads from the internet, just do a search. They work fine for me.

1 Like

Heavy Duty Black Rubber Floor Cable Wire Cover Tidy Protector Safety Trunking Bumper Ramp 1 Metre length

I use this screwed to the wall. (Am#zon)

2 Likes

I got down to the carpet shop and bought some very cheep underlay 4.5 feet width and fitted it to the wall :wink: of the garage and used some old cut offs for the floor :smiley:

1 Like

I use carpet off-cuts for two reasons - 1) They’re readily available, 2) With the pile side facing the car door they’re softer than anything made of rubber or plastic.

3 Likes

Celotex !

1 Like

That’s what I’ve done too.
Works great.

I wish I had a garage :neutral_face:

6 Likes

I’ve two chunks of polystyrene about 1.5 inches thick bolted to the garage walls. Wonderfully forgiving!

1 Like

I’d suggest using 3M helicopter tape on your door edge at the appropriate place.

1 Like

Has anyone fitted any suitable protectors on the doors themselves to avoid chipping when not in these well cosseted garages ? Yes, yes, I do try to open the door carefully but would be happier with an edge protector also. I did try to fit a clear plastic slip on protector once, but it fell off - probably because I didn’t stick it down, as I was reluctant to do so. Any suggestions ?

Look for Ampulla Garage Wall Protector on Amazon

1 Like

deleted

2 Likes

be very carefull using those plastic things that you can stick on the door.

water and muck will build up in the little spaces between the plastic and the door over time and it will cause corrosion.
they also have a nasty habit of marking up your paint work and over time as your paint naturally fades from sun light the covered bit wont.

so yes they protect your edge of your door but they come with downsides?

personally i would just get a bit of that pipe insulation and keep it in the door pocket mesh and when ever you park close to anything just pop it on the end of the door, get out the car and then put it back in the pocket and repeat the process on return.

2 Likes

PLEASE DON’T do what this Mk4 owner did to his.
It was a rubber strip, permanantly stuck on . . . .

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

that cant be real.
its gotta be a photoshop image
PLEASE TELL ME ITS A PRANK!!!

No. It’s real - honest.
I was gobsmacked when I saw it - hence the photo
I saw it over a period of several weeks in the same carpark too