Drifting?

I was reading STHT last night and saw there was some mention of drifting being a feature and wondered what kind of thought had gone into this - whether it was just at the ideas stage or whether it was confirmed with drivers etc.

I only ask because I know I, and at least one other MX5 driver, would be interested in taking part. I can probably think of one other too, which makes three, which is virtually a drift team.

Not that I'm really any good at it but I'm sure I could get some practice in, and if I've got enough notice I can probably get a second bucket seat so I can give passenger rides without inflicting bodily damage to people.

Anyway, I thought I'd just 'touch base' as it were to see what the idea was and if I could take part.

Ta muchly

Chris

I’m in, if anyone wants me. I’m already bucket-seated/harnessed up for passengers. It’d be nice to give rides/demos to try to get across to normal drivers how much these cars are capable of in extreme circumstances.

It sounds like a good idea - gets in the culture of using a track rather than a road as well (as well as proper safety equipment), which can only be a good thing.

Personally, I prefer my tyres to have tread, and seats to have cushioning ability, so I’ll pass!

Drifting as a structured pastime has been going on on tracks for years. Unfortunately it suffers a pretty poor reputation thanks to a selfish minority who treat the roads as their playground, and sensationalist media depictions which lump all drifting in with kids in hatchbacks doing handbrake turns outside McDonalds. And terrible films like Tokyo Drift haven’t helped either.
But the vast majority of us do it properly, in a safe and controlled environment. And when you do it like that, it’s the most fun you can have on four wheels (with the possible exception of driving a Monster Truck, which I have never done…)
Anyway, point is, it was mentioned in STHT that they were thinking of including drifting, so I figured I’d say I’d like to be involved as I never pass up the opportunity to go drifting :) 

Hi, whats the exact process of drifting…am a new driver an my mk1 is my first car but id like to be as experienced as possible but also safe. I’d love to see some drifiting from experienced drivers in safe areas.By the way what is STHT?

STHT = Soft Top Hardtop, the award winning magazine of the MX-5 Owners Club, sent to all Club Members every two months. [:D]

The exact format is not decided yet, so unfortunately it is not something that can be said yes to at the moment.

The current tabled plan is to have a drift demonstration with some of the professional teams, so probably twinning of maybe more.

However, as I say, nothing is fixed or final yet.

Drifting is something of a minority interest on the MX5OC forum, if you want details of safe (and legal) practice venues have a look at the “events” area of the DriftWorks forum (I’m the same Captain Muppet on that forum too). Javelin Track days do events at Barkston Heath in Lincs (including MX5 hire if you don’t want to use your own car), or there are Drift What You Brung days at Santapod - both of those are about once a month. Norfolk Arena also hold regular practice days with free tuition thrown in.

Those nice chaps at Mazda on Track do some drifty stuff too, not sure where, but I’m sure there will be details somewhere around here…

All of the above events will have a selection of drivers from pro to complete beginers - just turn up and chat to people for advice and passenger rides and you’ll pick up loads of tips.

If watching is more your thing most venues let you watch for free, or look out for local rounds of the British Drift Championship 2009 - they should  announce the calender on DW soon (and there should be a couple of us competing in MX5s).

[/offtopic]

Here you go [:D]

http://www.vimeo.com/2331877

Nice driving Nick, looks like a fun track too…

That’s Al at Haynes, where the Spring Rally was. He’s getting rather good at it. [:)]

That is good skills that. Good work on the wand, extending the slide through the faster section. I can’t do that. But I suppose I should at least be proud of the fact I’m now good enough to recognise that that’s what he’s doing there… 

Brawdy airfeild in west wales also gets rented out every so often.  check out http://www.cone-dodgers.co.uk/ for more info on the next (still tbc) event.

Most of this footage was shot there (and some from Santa pod dwyb)

http://www.vimeo.com/2426465

Thanx captain muppet il check that out and that was some nice work there nick!

Jamie - love the cyclops look, shame about the rain :slight_smile:

That conedodgers site wouldn’t have anything to do with Declan would it? I had huge conedodgers stickers on my car when I got it

If i could of helped it i would prefer both lights to work but meeting a stationery sierra does have that affect!

As far as i know it doesnt have anything to do with Declan, it’s something that has been set up by some of the Tramp drift boys to become msa approved. Technically its a motor vehichle testing group. All becasue the army wouldnt rent the airfeild out unless the users were msa approved. It used to go under teh name of Tramp Drift West.

OK Gentlemen, and Ladies, after rather a delay we can confirm Driftworks will be at the 15 - 20 National at Mallory Park on the 12th September. Phil Morison and friends will be out to put on both a morning and afternoon display.

For those in the know and know just how special this is to get these guys here, please spread the word.

Also, for your delight and delectation if you are a licenced Drifter or can suitably persuade us that you are can put up a good show on track in your MX-5, (we’re not after you S13) then you to can take part in this by prior consent.

Anyone thinking of going to JAE on the Saturday think again. It’s going to be quite a day and quite different from your normal event!

I’ve got a BDC semi-Pro license. No twining for me (no door bars on my cage) but I think I can put on a bit of a show.

Mazdachris doesn’t have his licence yet (I think) but he definitely can drift - I’ve seen him and everything. Also he’s done dozens of practice days.

I may be able to help out with this.  I also have a BDC Smi-pro license but also have door bars on my cage so twinning is an option.