Driver's door, remote central locking fault

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC2 (2010)
  2. I’m based near: South London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Central Locking Faults

Hello folks, just popped out in the MX5 this morning and discovered the drivers door lock is completely unresponsive to the remote central locking via the key. Previously it has been a bit temperamental, today it failed to lock and unlock every time. I have to manually lock it with the key.

Are there any DIY fixes for this? Will the dealership know how to repair this at a reasonable price?

Cheers!

A very common fault, and strangely mostly on the drivers side.
A new door lock is about £150. No doubt double that from the main dealers, and go with a spare arm for them to rip one off.
A used door lock on eBay about £50.
Or potentially a new motor for about £10.

I collected tons of info recently.

Mx5 city have a new on on offer for £119, but expect carriage to London.

they are £131 of mx5 parts but there’s always a few on eBay i bought mine for 5 squid works fine

I have fitted 2 second hand units to the drivers side in the last few days and neither worked so I’m wondering if there is something else going on, anyone got any ideas ?

@Gunner1
Do you get any movement out of the internal handle, or what you can do, is take the motor off the linkages etc, and connect this to the car, does the little arm move at all. ?

The actuator i have recently fitted appears to work intermittently which is annoying, so i am wondering if it is not the actuator but something else in the system or is it that i have had 2 iffy units and need to buy new. Not sure i want to flush a large amount of cash for it not to work :woozy_face:

Have you considered replacing the small internal motor.

Quick update: the issue seems to have gone away by itself. :thinking:
Let’s hope it stays functional.

It will be back once the sun comes back. when the mechanism gets warm the actuator stops working. I disassembled mine once upon a time and resoldered/ greased the joints I could find and all worked (car sold a year later)

1 Like