Ebay classified or Autotrader?

I’ve sold via Autotrader before, but not tried ebay classified ad. Anyone recommend the latter? Reason for asking is fees seem better value.

Depends what you are selling, car I guess, MX-5?
What about this forum?

Gumtree.

Yep, my ND2, I have put it in the classifieds but having had a surprisingly high Webuyanycar quote, thought I’d try the wider market.

I’ve advertised cars on eBay and Gumtree with a set price no takers or offers. If your price is firm then it’s going to take a while. Always had good results via forums but I’ve not sold a car now for around 7 years.

Looks a nice car, some dealers are wanting good stock right now and will buy cars in. If you are looking to sell quickly I’d give one or two a try, your choice to accept or not.

1 Like

That’s a good shout, I’ll try that route first.

I advertised our Nissan Juke on Autotrader. Cost around £50. In a week had a couple of enquiries that came to nothing. Then I copied the exact details into a free Facebook Marketplace ad, sold in two days after having around half a dozen enquiries. Then had to let a couple of other seriously interested parties know it was sold.

Having said that this forum would be my first place to look for an MX-5.

3 Likes

Took me ages to sell a MX5 via the forum, and in the end, the new owner got it cheap.

Some safety issues associated with Gumtree; sellers and buyers being attacked (stabbed to death) during apparent transactions. Takes a certain amount of stupidity/naivity to go to a darkened carpark to sell/buy a car, but people do, and you mustn’t blame the victim for the actions of a thug.

Recently driving through Leicester, I happened upon a queue of cars on one of the main roads into the centre. I thought at first it was cars waiting at the very busy hand car wash, but no, it was mostly fairly new cars lining up at the “Webuyanycar” office, which was an old petrol station with a small forecourt. Normally they are very quiet, but I don’t know whether thy are now offering good prices for cars, or that there are lots more people with newish cars needing the money. Or both.

1 Like

WBAC are offering strong money atm ,
When I sold my 66 plate sportage in March their offer was £9500 , now it’s £12700 :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

I advertised it on gumtree and eBay with no joy …
Ended up on autotrader , sold in the week :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

Niece got good offer from Arnold Clarke for her AUDI A1 last month :+1:t3::+1:t3:Maybe worth trying

Good luck :wink:

1 Like

Thanks all, for the replies. WBAC have quoted £21,784 so I’ll go Autotrader for a fortnight with a grand or so on top and see what bites.

i’ve used ebay to sell motorbikes - worked really well. Always adverts, never auctions.

When i was looking for the MX5 i used ebay, autotrader and gumtree (though that had least cars)

1 Like

Used car values are bonkers at the moment as dealers look for good stock. Try the following. I reckon you’ll get more than Autotrader and without the hassle of dealing with tyre kickers and knuckle draggers. Motorway pitches dealers looking for stock against each other.
https://www.evanshalshaw.com/shop/car-valuation/?step=Reg-Lookup
https://www.wizzle.co.uk/

1 Like

That looks interesting, I’ll take a look, thanks.

Just a little warning about webac.
They may appear to offer strong money online, however in reality the actual price they offer once they’ve ‘inspected’ the car is likely to be considerably less unless it’s absolutely unmarked and as new. Their online quotes make no allowance for wear and tear or the fact the car is maybe 4 or 5 years old and done 40k. They do seem more concerned about appearance than mechanical condition though, as long as there’s no dash lights on they don’t seem bothered.
Friend had a really tidy 4 year old Kia, 12k miles.
Knocked back 18% on the online price for 3 stone chips and a tiny scuff underneath the front bumper.
Another had a nice spec unmarked (completely) bmwM140 with serious engine issues after an oil filter issue blocked some oil ways.
Filled with 20/50 oil and when cold it idled, sounded quiet when revved to below about 3k, no warning lights but big ends and vanos were shot.
Got knocked back £200 for a tyre so took the money. Payment took 48hours.
He subsequently found out it threw a rod whilst being driven to auction….and was sold as non running/driving. They lost money on that car.

3 Likes

Cheers for the warning, be nice to be able to sell it directly to an enthusiast but we’ll have to see…

Is it definitely a GT as I thought that had the burgundy leather, black mirror caps and BBS wheels?
The WBAC price is good, but also try Evans Halshaw CarStore buying, they were higher for my last 2 sales.

https://www.carstore.com/sell-my-car/

1 Like

I can safely say WBAC doesn’t want my 2004 Jag XJ nor rust free 1996 Mk1; £2k and £150 tops offered.

Giving good prices for good stock is one thing, but how are they going to make money on those cars without ripping people off when they sell them on?

That’s (punters paying too much) been happening for a while now, with the advent of pcp finance deals on used stock.
The price of the car just gets lost /is hidden in the plethora of figures, with salesmen focussing on the monthly cost which is all the customer is interested in a lot of the time.
It’s a bad time to buy a car right now with prices getting silly on new stuff, which is filtering through to used. That, and a shortage of stock.

1 Like

I for one have been looking at Mk3’s (post 2009) I’m finding some 13/14 plate car prices are actually on a par with some 5 year old Mk4’s. Now started looking at MK4’s but have more or less given up and come to my senses. As mentioned above it’s the wrong time to be buying a car, especially the MX-5, great if you’re selling one though.

1 Like

It is definitely a GT, the 2018 model year one.