Electric folding roof

Just taken my mx5 to the local Mazda dealer to check potential issue on electric folding roof , seems to shudder and make noise on the last few seconds of deck closing ,this issue as only started in the last couple of times I’ve opened and closed the roof .mazada have given me a quote for £2764.15  !! To replace both sides deck links (ne52-r1-9lx and ne52-r1-9ly) .I’m still in shock , anybody out there who had similar problems,can anyone recommend taking somewhere else to try and fix.       Thanks , Richard

https://www.caymanautos.co.uk/convertible-hood-repairs/mazda-mx5-convertible-roof-repairs/

They fixed my SLK roof a few years back

Make sure the silver dome head Allen bolts are nice and tight. Have a look at this link for photos…

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=392593

Richard.

To me that sounds a stupid price. Almost saying “ I don’t want the job so go elsewhere “

First thing to check is the dome allen bolts as mentioned above. You never know.
As these roofs are normally very reliable even Mazda dealers have little or no experience of them.
There seems a lot more information on the American web sites as mentioned by Richard above.
Don’t be disheartened by your quote, I’m sure it can be sorted for a lot less given the right information and a competent engineer.
Good luck and please keep us updated.
D

Thanks everyone for your help ,just booked Michael cleverly (Suffolk) (mx5 expert )who has a lot of experience with these roofs and as fixed a few in the past ,fingers crossed he can fix mine !

Just returned from Suffolk after having electric folding roof repaired expertly by Michael cleverly ,no parts needed ,cost less than £100 ,a massive difference from the the quote from the local Mazda dealership (£2750 for new parts) I was told by Mazda technician that deck plate mechanism both sides were completely worn and could fail at anytime !!           Will definitely not be returning to the Mazda dealership ever again !!

1 Like

What did they do?

we need this guys contact details , he sounds like he knows what he’s doing and at a realistic price .

Probably this.

http://www.mx5expert.com/

Hello I seem to be developing the same problem with my electric roof what was the problem and have you contact details for the repairer thank you John c

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Have a look at Keats63 reply, click on the link and when that opens, click on contact us. That will give you their address etc.
If the problem you are experiencing is a noise when the deck opens and closes, if you haven’t already, check the dome bolts are nice and tight. One each side on the deck hinge mechanism facing forward, they need an Allen key.

Richard.

Thankyou for your help am moving forward with this now :+1:

Does anyone know if the cogs on the platform of the electric roof can go out of sync and be synchronised on 2010 nc Thankyou

The two dome head bolts pull the cog sections together and keep them in mesh. If a dome bolt becomes too loose then the cog sections can jump their teeth and go out of sync. with each other.

(In an emergency roof failed situation the dome bolts are both released to allow the deck to be moved manually but in normal service it is essential that the bolts remain tight.)

Richard.

On my recently acquired MX5 have just discovered there appears to be no emergency toolkit for when the powered hardtop fails. Quoted £107 for a replacement - Allen key, eyebolt and two lengths of cord (even my not very technical brain can come up with the cord). Anyone had this issue?