Emma Raducanu

Wow! A new British sensation in the world of women’s tennis… Showed her first true potential at Wimbledon earlier this year, only having to retire during her Fourth Round match. And now after going through the qualifiers all the way to the US Open Final, taking place tomorrow in New York without losing a set! The first qualifier ever to reach a major final in tennis.
Her game is perfect, already the complete player according to Martina Navratilova.
She gives lots of time to the fans post-match and in her interviews, her charm, warmth, modesty and smile are very charming. Win or lose in tomorrows final, she is already a star who may go on to be an icon and ambassador in women’s tennis…
She does play another very promising teenager in tomorrows final - Leylah Fernandez from Canada in I hope will be a very competitive and enjoyable final…
So go Emma go, you can do it… “Ranucando”!! :slight_smile:

Rob

6 Likes

Yes indeed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a tennis player smile so much during a match. A great credit to her sport and an example to sportspeople in general! Go lady go!

5 Likes

Yes, fantastic result.
She is feminine and charming but with strength and focus.
Whilst not born in England, moved here from Canada aged 2 and started playing tennis at 5.
Looking forward to the final tomorrow.

1 Like

Comes across as a really pleasant person…hope she is allowed to stay that way.
The sort of daughter every man would live for.
My other up and coming Great Hope for British flag waving has to be George Russell of course.

2 Likes

Agreed… I don’t follow F1 that closely since it left terrestial television and became so “Americanised”, but hopefully next year with the car and rule changes it will become a little more interesting and competitive…

Rob

1 Like

Both Emma Raducanu and Leylah Fernandez were born in Canada, so Canada wins either way tomorrow night. Fernandez is another chirpy teenager who has had a tremendous tournament and duffed up a number of big hitters including the world no. 2 yesterday who was driven to racket-smashing.

We’ve been following Emma’s matches on Amazon Prime where the coverage has been excellent. Final 9pm Saturday.

2 Likes

Thank you for this - I had no idea.

It’s fantastic to see how she’s doing and how she’s conducting herself too. I think we’ll hear and see a lot from her over the next 10 years. What a fairytale if she wins. And what a summer she’s had.

And yes - @Scottishfiver George Russell. Blisteringly fast and seems to have his head screwed on too

I can think of a few more too. (Marcus Rashford springs to mind). The kids have it covered !

1 Like

Just heard on Newsnight. Annabel Croft says she has the same agent that Maria Sharipova used…! Keeping fit, healthy and relatively injury free are key as I want her tennis career to prosper.There is no doubt she is a marketing and commodities dream though…! Look what she did for Vogue…

1 Like

Help!!! Is it possible for me to watch this final on British TV, and if so how?

It’s on Amazon Prime. You could sign up for a free trial if you’ve not got it already.

Edit: It’s going to be on Channel 4! :+1:

5 Likes

If you’ve had a look already you’ll also have seen that the previous matches are all on replay.

We watched Leylah Fernandez’s match against the heavy-hitting Sabalenka last night as prep for the final. Fernandez’s appearance in the final at 19 in her second year would have been a sensation on its own. She’s beaten 3 of the top 5 ranked players in the world, and former no. 1 Angelique Kerber, on the way to the final.

Great to see Ladies US Open Final being showed live on C4 tonight… Can’t wait! :slight_smile:

Rob

1 Like

Just an hour to go for the final to start - Coverage just about to start (8pm)… Apparently Emma is a fan of Daniel Ricciardo, and just seen him send her a good luck message on C4 F1 qualifying…!

Rob

Will be interesting to see what the C4 viewing figures are later…!

Rob

Very poignant that this epic final is on the 20th Anniversary of the September 11th attacks…
Quite a reflective day for New Yorkers but hoping they’ll find some pleasure in tonights tennis final… :thinking:

It’s “EmmaTime”

Rob

A mistake by Amazon.

Wow… What a game… First set Raducanu !! :slight_smile:

Rob

2 Likes

Well I’m stuck to the TV which doesn’t happen very often nowadays.
Great to see women with such power and tenacity; a contrast to the love island brigade :blush:

■■■!!! She’s done it… WoW

Congratulations Emma…

Amazing. Hats off, kiddo. Unbelievable. What a win.