Emma Raducanu

Not lost a set all tournament… but in fairness, both these girls were brilliant…! :slight_smile:

1 Like

20th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in New York - so moving, then this, just amazing - So many emotions in so few hours…

2021 US Open Womens Champion - Emma Raducanu… :joy:

Rob

2 Likes

I’m guessing, yes only guessing, she will also win Sports Personality of the Year 2021…

How couldn’t she with that warmth and infectious smile :slight_smile:

Rob

1 Like

That was like watching a public & polite sporting execution of a truly 1st Division Fernandez.
Which renders young Raducanu difficult to add superlatives to.
Not seen the likes of that for a bit.

1 Like

Still buzzing this morning… Too many superlatives to add, but it will be wonderful following Emma, her life and career in tennis… :slight_smile: She will have to get used to some loses as part of the learning curve, and the challenge for her will change as “The Nation Expects”, but in keeping the right people around her and the natural mindset, she has a great future ahead…
And won’t she inspire so may of an even younger generation too…?!

Rob

1 Like

Great match. Neither deserved to lose.

Seeing Fernandez’s expressions and demeanour in that last game, not only had she not given up, I think she still had a genuine belief she would win right up to the last stroke. And she might have.

2 Likes

Agree… If you hadn’t seen the game and only seen the score you could be excused for thinking this had been an easy win for Emma. Leylah’s expression remained consistent up to the last point (You wouldn’t play her at cards would you…?!)
Yes, Leylah had a bit of a meltdown when Emma fell and cut her leg at a crucial match in the game showing even she can feel the pressure…
These two young ladies will hopefully compete during the years ahead like Evert and Navratilova… That’s a tantalising prospect…! :slight_smile:

Rob

2 Likes

Seemed to be lots were watching last night, was a real tv event, we don’t get many, altough the irony will be 20 years ago in New York there was one of course. I thought the comments made by Leylah at the end on the subject of 9/11 were very well chosen. It was great to watch. The problem I have now is that as well as the skateboard and the bmx bike inspired by the Olympics I now need to stump up for a tennis racquet for my 18 month old granddaughter as well. :smiley:

4 Likes

Love this… :slight_smile:

Rob

2 Likes

So a possible 8 times F1 World Champion, Olympic Gold Medalists (Jason Kenny), Olympic Paralympians (Sarah Storey) don’t get a look in?

I sense hype. The latest being a projected billion dollars lifetime earnings, on the back of a single tournament win. Not sure her pattern of success can be easily emulated given its a fairly unique combination of Britiwh coaches, an obscure Chinese sports institute and admiration of Chinese sporting heroes

Blimey Saz.
Bluddy-Grim GB Inc & it’s shareholders needs a whiff of fresh air.
Jason Kenny & Sarah Stone? Had to look them up. Sorry…never heard of them but then I do not watch telly much at all these days.
As for Sir Poke-a-Woke …how many times do you want Sir Personality Bipass to win the gong again?
He’s utterly boring…when not exchanging paint. Verbal Mogadon moment. Plain & simple. Emma seems to light a room up.

2 Likes

OK Saz. Firstly, Lewis Hamilton - Big respect for his acheivements in F1, but sorry, no, the programme title uses the word “Personality”, something he doesn’t have…!
Having not watched the Olympics much this year and not the Paralympics at all, I can’t comment other than again their personal acheivements are amazing…
Yes, I have been caught up in the hype of Emma beginning at Wimbledon, and in the US Open, 10 wins, no sets lost and now Ladies US Champion…
As for personality, she has it in spade loads and probably more than all this years “Sports Personalities” put together…!
Her future in tennis looks bright but no guaranteed and she may never win again…
She will learn lessons through harder times and loses for sure, but I will continue following the “hype”…! :slight_smile:

Rob

3 Likes

You are too literal with “personality”, and its a nonsense to suggest someone doesn’t have a “personality”. Everyone has a “personality”.

The viewer’s shortlist is based on sporting achievement. Those achieving gold at the Olympics or Paralympics have literally achieved the pinnacle of their sport. I never vote in this, but probably there are a lot of people who vote based on what someone looks like, which is probably the way they vote in other walks of life. Such as X-Factor etc.

This woman is just starting her senior sporting career. Odds are, it seems in women’s tennis, she will be a one hit wonder. Needs to win a few more times. To her credit, I have noticed already she is avoiding questions, or answering a different question to the one she was asked. That’s not personality, but cold control.

If it was about something shallow like “personality”, then husband and wife, the Kennys, seem to have loads. As a couple, they would be something like 20 in the world against other countries (or so I read).

The media likes to hype people up, to suck in individuals, such as yourself, in order to break them down again. Copy sells.

I’ve not given any indication who I want to win, or even if I even support the idea of this Award.

The names I have provided were merely a sampling of some of the individuals who have secured sporting achievement, or who might provide sporting achievement of historical proportions (it’s looking less likely that Lewis Hamilton, to use his name and not a euphemism, will achieve an 8th Championship, but if he does, its a record that, literally, cannot be broken in a decade, and probably, rather longer than that). Undoubtedly, there might be others considered, such as Mark Cavendish, Adam Peaty.

Its GB Plc by the way. Inc is so American.

OK.! I’ve got nothing better to do today than debate or even argue with you, but I can’t be asked - You’ve your opinion and I’ve mine…! :ok_hand:

Rob

1 Like

" Eeer we go then…'eer we go.
PLC vs Inc…whossshaat then eh ? Eh?
:joy:

1 Like

It’s a great shame I feel, that a thread which began so positively, with congratulatory comments on Emma Raducanu’s historic win in New York at the weekend, should quickly degenerate into a slanging match over which sportsman (woman) has the most personality.

Everyone has a personality of sorts, and some will like that personality and some will not - it’s human nature.

The trouble with being in the public eye, is that you have to be constantly on your guard about what you say and do - one slip, and there will always be someone to take offence and blow up an innocent mistake into something that was not intended. Again it’s human nature unfortunately, and in the 21st century there seems to me to be even more ‘snowflakes’ willing to slam somebody down.

OK, so I do have a very cynical view on the modern human attitudes towards things, but I just wish there was more live-and-let-live in the world today !

4 Likes

Equally Chris, people around the world today are being shot, displaced, starved, tortured and mass genocided to oblivion in their attempts to achieve freedoms of thought, speech, and self deternination just as we do here with no fear of being “disappeared” before evening noodles.
I appreciate often waking up in Falkirk instead of Pyongyang.
I’ve listened off and on for few years the snippets of experiences my son found with his (cough) “little squad” in downtown Kandahar…when people said the wrong thing in earshot of the wrong sorts.
Cannot imagine Speakers’ Corner going down well there!
So far as I can tell, nobody here today has personalised anything against another…just expressed an opinion. I’d buy Saz a pint tomorrow if the chance arose. And you!

1 Like

1_2021-US-Open-Day-13

Three for the fans… :slight_smile:

Rob

6 Likes

OK…got carried away. :scream:
Half pint…Hoots Mon.

3 Likes