Emma Raducanu

Mine’s a “Scotch & Threat” before you ask…! :joy: :tumbler_glass:

Rob

2 Likes

Bog off you.
Nearly had a seizure as it is when I realised I was at the bar first.
Nice Emma phots BTW.
Who knows how long she’ll last but I hope she enjoys getting stinking honking rich in the process!

5 Likes

Hear hear !

1 Like

can I chuck in Marcus Radford as a worthy nominee as well, his achievements going well beyond just his sport.

Interesting to hear Tracey Austin talking about Emma and the US Open this morning on the wireless and she reminded everyone that she won the very same tournament when she was just 16! Although by then she was already very highly ranked.

2 Likes

Assume that’s an autocorrect error not a Gavin Williamson moment… :joy:

1 Like

are you not familiar with Mr Radford, the well know darts player and part time pot man down at my local ? Does a huge amount for charity as well, bless him…

2 Likes

Similar to Ron Benson and Tony Hedges

Emma continues to charm her US audience ( Main inrerview begins at 3.00 minutes)

Rob

I see she was also at the Met Gala with all the over dressed celebs last night as well. What a whirlwind, just back in May she was down the road from me winning a tournament in little old Felixstowe.

1 Like

I really want Emma to succeed as a tennis player because she is so good, but how wonderful does she look at Met Gala 2021 during her lengthened stay in Manhatten? Hasn’t seen family and friends since before going to the US Open… What more awaits this beautiful young lady on returning home…? :slight_smile: (The world is her Oyster)
Rob

2 Likes

I just hope the pressures from the “Commercial” side don’t dominate and ruin her as a sportsperson. I read somewhere that her manager is the same person who managed Maria Sharapova and look what happened there. There are already far too many fashion/lifestyle icons and “influencers” for young people, for goodness sake I hope they don’t turn Emma into one at the expense of her sport.

She’s apparently eying up a Wall Street career. Makes sense to monetise yourself as much as possible, because sporting careers/success can be fleeting. She’s also created an account on Sina Weibo, China’s main social media site, so eying that market of consumers. Chinese State media is also starting coverage, with the emphasis on her cultural background and time spent in China as being key, and cherrypicking quotes, eg hardwork, the importance of family, the resolution of the Chinese people. Some talk of extending to her Chinese citizenship (she’s already dual Canadian-British nationality).

Well the Wall Street career makes sense as both her parents had careers in finance and apparently how they met.

Just shows how mature this young lady is… Always good to have a Plan B and she studied in finance so I’m sure she’ll keep one eye on that for later years… Yes, she does have the same agent as Sharipova, but I don’t think he’ll have complete control… far from…!
At the moment I don’t see Emma becoming just a fashion/lifestyle icon - She is just basking in her immense success of winning the US Open. She was certainly the class-act at Met Gala 2021…! :slight_smile: Don’t see her becoming an “influencer” either… whatever that is…!

Rob

1 Like

From what I’ve seen “influencers” are young “pretty” people who do nothing but dress up and pose on their websites and earn money from the numbers of kids who “click” on it.
PS: Back in the day (1960’s) the style-setters were known as “Faces”.

1 Like

Plenty of money will be thrown her way, it’ll be hard to ignore. Plenty of pressure too, hope it doesn’t ruin her talent.

3 Likes

Great thread this but i have to add my 2p worth about Sports Personality of the year - as a Welshman how it could possibly not be Alun Wyn Jones is beyond me - 160 Wales and Lions caps !

Who ?

:thinking:

1 Like

Don’t forget that the public don’t choose the SPOTY. They just choose one out of a list provided by the BBC so I don’t fancy Alan Wyn thingamebobs chances.

Emma’s back in London now with her family in Bromley - What a seven weeks she’s had away from them, leaving the UK as an A-Level student and returning as Ladies US Open Champion 2001… Quite a while before the Australian Open, though no doubt there will be some tournaments in the meantime… Welcome home Emma :slight_smile:

Rob

c015e1a852d33c452d0de32dfc03e68f

1 Like