Engine died while driving CEL on

CEL had been on driving a long and I can hear Something hitting the bottom of my car so I stop to check it out. Ive attached the image of what I found.

There was a garage just down the road from where I was so I decided to continue driving with the cable dragging a long the floor. Unfortunately it completely broke before I could get there and the engine completely died. Electrics still working.

The car is now in the garage but I wont get any answers until the earliest Tuesday due to the shop being so busy so can anyone hazard a guess to what wire I have broken? At first I thought Lambda but surely this wont cause engine to stop. Could it be the fuel pump line?

Any help with what it is to put my mind at rest would be appreciated.

P.s I believe the wire became dis lodged from its housing from me scrapping over a speed bump, very slowly how ever still a good scrape.

C

Which model MX5 do you have?
What came first, the CEL or the banging on the underside of your car?

Mk3 CEL first the next time i drove it is when the wire broke and engine died.

There isn’t much under there with wiring to it, it’s hard to see but judging by the fact the engine light came on and it’s not running right, plus the position of the cable it’s probably lambda sensor. Replacing one shouldn’t be too hard to sort but if it’s damaged the loom that won’t be as easy to fix. The O2 sensor is right near were the wire can be seen coming down under the car.

Here it is

The engine completely died it wasn’t running rough at all while the CEL was on. It just died suddenly. Would it then be more likely I have blown a fuse with the ECU or even worse killed it?

I’m not an mx5 expert but I’ve been under mine a lot lately. There isn’t much wiring under the car at all, most is run internally and comes out through grommets or is limited to the engine bay.

You need to really get under it and trace that wire back. Then you can identify the damaged component and circuit, if its protected by a fuse check that etc and see about what’s been damaged and needs replacing. Only once that’s been done can you see if anything else has been knackered as a result. Best case scenario, the wiring is mended and the component it came from replaced and the car will be back to working again.

Thats just how I would go about it.

Ok thank you. I will just have to await the mechanics report and hope for the best. :crossed_fingers:t4:

Definitely :crossed_fingers:. The main hope is that where it’s been dragged it hasn’t damaged the rest if the loom as that would be the biggest headache I’m sure.

When you say damaged the loom do you mean a short?

Anything, shorts, dis breaks etc or even just the tape torn open and can be taped back up. If the wire has been pulled down and dragged it could of pulled out of the loom and caused damage to other wiring as a result, but that’s just worst case. The mechanic will have a good picture of what’s what once they have a look :+1:.

Thank you for taking the time. Have a great day.

Assuming that it’s the oxygen sensor wire, which is what it looks like, the I’d suspect that the 15 Amp ENGINE fuse has blown. It’s in the relay and fuse block under the bonnet.

1 Like

That does make complete sense. All other electrics where functioning as they should. Hopefully then just a new cable and fuse is all that needs doing. :crossed_fingers:t4::crossed_fingers:t4::crossed_fingers:t4::crossed_fingers:t4:

What is CEL?

Check Engine Light

In all honesty if you’d pulled the initial code it probably would of pointed to a sensor code for the O2 but that’s academic now. Doesn’t help. If you pull codes now it’s shut down it will probably throw multiple.

Thanks, never seen it called CEL before.

Or EML…Engine Management Light :+1:

Official name in Europe is MIL. Malfunction Indicator Light.

I’m sure there are some four letter words for that light as well :joy:

2 Likes