Engine warning light on

Hi all, 

Calling for help from the north east Midlands crew. Our mk2.5 has developed an unknown issue and the engine warning light has come on. However everything seems fine and it drives ok.

I have read various forum posts on this subject and there could be lots of reasons for the light coming on, bottom line is it needs to have its error codes read via obc port.

If the is anyone going to the coopers on Thursday night that has a obc reader and would be kind enough to read the error codes so I can get it fixed, it would be appreciated. 

Please drop me a line with any advice 

Thanks

Claire, Sandy and poorly candice (that’s the car)

Happy to help, as am trying to track down (possibly) the same problem on my Mk2.5. Unfortunately, am away for the next two weeks. First question, is it a constant amber warning light? Second question, can you feel a problem with the engine performance (misfire, stutter etc…). On my car, it appears as a very intermittent misfire, after which the warning light comes on. From what I’ve read on the internet, as you say there are many reasons for this, but if you can’t feel the problem, don’t worry too much. The first thing to check is the plugs, then the HT cables. There are several posts on the internet stating that if you disconnect the battery for about half an hour, that will reset the code, then you can see when it reappears. This worked on mine and after several days, hey presto it reappeared. Let me know how it works out. If no OBDC connector available on Thursday, I have one and will be back in about two weeks, however all it told me was that I had a misfire!!!. D’oh.

If there is a misfire and no error code and you have checked the plugs and leads, a likely cause is coil unit.

Unfortunately coil problems do not produce a specific error code. 

Ok, a bit more detail to see if it helps.

No misfire and engine is running smoothly. Car was serviced 1 week ago, so I have checked all oils and fluids and all are good.

Tick over is smooth and not self reving I. E. Revs  changing by themselves. 

I’m guessing it’s a sensor or electrical issue, hence the need to read the odb port to see what error codes come back.

Colin has a reader that he has used and will bring it on Thursday night, so fingers crossed it may give me a steer in the right direction, otherwise it’s off the the garage

Additional request 

Has anyone got a list of error codes and what they mean?

Thanks a million

Sandy

You are best advised to google the code(s). I usually look up MX5 error code Pxxxx where xxxx is the code.

Most codes are generic but looking up under the particular car could be more helpful.

Here is a link to a  list of OBD codes with some useful explanation…

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/21/0/genericmanufacturer-obd2-codes-and-their-meanings 

Sorry with a code reader about £10 to £15 what is the problem and all the posting for help.

Just buy one and you would have the code by now!

[quote=Drumtochty]
Sorry with a code reader about £10 to £15 what is the problem and all the posting for help.

Just buy one and you would have the code by now![/quote

Thanks, that’s a great help. 

well done Drum so nice to see you are your normal cheerful self!!!

Ok, update for you all. Colin has checked the engine for the error code and it has come back as  P0420

Now according to the Internet it’s the o2 sensor…

There are a number of things that could be causing this p0420 catalyst efficiency code. The most common thing is the catalytic converter itself is no longer functioning properly. The other likely thing is the rear O2 (oxygen) sensor is no longer working properly.

It’s going to the garage on Saturday so will update after that. 

Thanks to Colin and his reader

Thanks

Sandy

Update, 

It’s been to the garage and they checked the sensors and they are working fine. However they then checked the emissions and they are all over the place, plus when you hit the CAT with a hammer you can hear it’s moving around inside… so it’s the CAT not working properly that is sending the emissions out of range and the sensors can’t compensate. 

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Glad we could help. Anytime anybody needs help I’ll do what I can.

Colin and Jan

So have you bought a code reader yet or are you still messing about with other peoples!!!

Hi Drum, hope you are well. All sorted mate, thanks for your advice. 

Can you advise on a good sports exhaust Inc sports cat, if I’m replacing the cat I may as well do all of it.

Thanks mate

For fecks sake, isn’t this club about helping people. Or am I missing something???

Is there really any need to have a go at people who are asking for a little help?

Thank god you’re not a paramedic; lost a limb in an accident, go and get a %$*%ing first aid kit.

Double post due to slow forum.

Hi Sandy

I can personally recommend the MS309 code reader as sold on ebay - available for less than £10 buyitnow or less if you bid on one of the auctions.

Colin probably told you that these readers are generic and will work on all cars with an OBDII socket.

Some of us are stuck in the dark ages and drive cars that were years away from having this diagnostic facility:-)  

Mine is a Bluetooth obd2 ELM327 reader I actually got for my Porsche 996. My Mx5 is a 1995 Mk1 so uses an LED type reader. Only paid about £6 for it.

Colin and Jan.

Hi all, 

Sorry for the delay, however there’s a happy ending to this chain. I met the guys at GoPerform who have fitted a full stainless steel system with sports cat… IT’S FECKING AMAZING!! Sounds Great, looks Great, it’s brilliant! 

Oh yes it fixed the engine light… 

Highly recommended