Fazer 1000 1 : MX5 Mk1 0

1. My model of MX-5 is: __1991 1.6 Eunos Mk1
  2. I’m based near: __Bedford, Luton
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Dent repairs / panel replacement?

Hi
I’m in need of therapy …!
I opened the garage door a few days ago to see that my Yamaha Fazer 1000 had fallen against the MX5 leaving 2 rather nasty dents on the drivers door and rear wing. Once I’d heaved it upright, it became clear that a slow puncture in the bike rear tyre had caused it to drop off the side stand. To my untrained eye the dents look quite nasty and although haven’t punctured the metal, it is definitely creased and stretched.

Anyrate, I’d be keen on any advice that might be out there regarding what level of body work trauma can be dealt with and / or whether panel replacement is the better way forward - and finally if you have any specific recommendations regarding local craftspeople suited to addressing this?

Many thanks
Doug

Can you post photos?

bodywork on anything can be repaired - it’s a balance of time and cost and finish required.

If the dents have not stretched the metal then they will pull out and can then be filled, sanded and repainted - if there is stretch and crease then you pull them out less and fill more… Modern filler is much better than the water absorbing older stuff, so a back-to-normal surface is easily achievable.

The paining is a challenge, especially on an older car, as the paint will have faded and changed colour - a good bodyshop will be able to blend and fade one colour to the other but it will probably mean working on the whole of the panel and possibly the one next to it too. This is likely to be the same if you source a replacement panel, however…

Local recommendations - these are what you need - some areas have great franchisees at things like ChipsAway (though this sounds too much for them) but it’s all down to the individual - some are awful. You need to find people who have used and would recommend a bodyshop - and good ones will spend time chatting to you about the options and likely costs.

It’s also possible to do some (or all) of this yourself. A decent paint finish is mostly in the preparation, so it’s important to get right, but not overly technical, so you could do that part of it. Unless you have access to a spray booth, I’d get an expert to do the actual paint though.

If you’re slightly less worried about having a pristine car, you could also rust-fix and touchup paint anything right through to the metal to stop it rusting, do a quick filler job then cover it with a vinyl sticker like a large circle for a faux race number, or stripes, or similar, to hide it. It may not appeal, which is fine, but is a quick and effective fix.

Many thanks for the responses - hopefully uploaded are 4 images of the 2 dents; however, it’s not easy to get a complete perspective?

Thanks
Doug

Because the damage is on a recessed swage line, I can’t see a dent guy being successful.

think you’re looking at a bidyshop for filler and paint, not dent removal, from the pics. try to get a recommendation, or see stuff they are doing, and chat to them - you’ll know a good one when you find it…

Thanks all. I will start a trawl of potential bodyshops.
Hope you’re all enjoying your cars and bikes!
Doug

Aargh I feel your pain, my SV did the same and squished one of my mountain bikes pretty good. Never would have thought of it til it happened.