Fiat 124 Spider: The ND's Italian cousin?

This was in Stoneacre in Doncaster when my daughter was buying her Peugeot 2008 SUV. Tried to persuade her to get it instead! :grin: was brand new at the time. Quite a discount off screen price!
This was my NC, no idea where my ideas came from. :thinking:

Barrie

3 Likes

There’s a time and a place. Out in the country with no one to bother you can’t beat a noisy exhaust but in the high street it can be anti-social. That said, I don’t see how you can’t smile when you here a V6 F-Type start up, that spitting and crackling sounds awesome to me. Personal taste I suppose.

1 Like

Copper grease every couple of years when you service the car and you shouldn’t have a problem. Probably poorly made, but as with everything proper maintenance stops this issue.

Believe me they’re regarded as anti-social out here in the countryside too, (which, contrary to urban myths, is not any empty wasteland, but a living, working environment!) probably because of the possibility of stampeding livestock and disturbing wildlife, things that wouldn’t occur to urban dwellers. It’s no fun having to extricate your livelihood from hedges or barbed-wire fences after they’ve been terrified by some selfish idiot out for a joy-ride.

2 Likes

I do like the 124, not as much as the ND but it’s a nice car. Although there aren’t that many on the road it would appear to me that a large percentage are in enthusiast hands who will cherish them. I market my wind blockers on eBay under separate listings. The product is the same but my listings are for the two different vehicles. While I do sell more through the ND listings than the 124 listings the ratio isn’t as high as the number of vehicles sold. Don’t have any figures and very unscientific but I still think we will continue to see plenty of well loved Fiatas on the road for many years to come.

This is fair enough but more aimed at those straight piping or with overly noisy exhausts. The 124 with a stock exhaust has to be within legal noise limits and if used with a bit of common sense you can have your fun without disturbing anyone/anything. Clearly redlining by a field of farm animals isn’t sensible.

1 Like

Morris Minors were anti-social…Perp parp fart fart fart parp!

1 Like

I’ve got a Mk1 B2 Ltd and a MK2.5 Sport (and a supercharged Exocet) and at one stage considered adding a Mk4 MX5.
After test driving the Mk4 and an Abarth 124 Spider I bought the Spider.
Chalk and cheese to me.
Each to their own!

6 Likes

Must “confess”…I really prefer the 124 to the ND myself.
Cannot even put my finger on why!
However for me it needs a mental Alfa-ish rip snorting 2 litre twin cam in there…like days gone by.
Imagine it with the V6 Alfa 2.5 litre…

2 Likes

I keep imagining my ND with the glorious sounding V6 from the Mazda 323F - as raced in the BTCC . Very few in line fours sound really special (some Hondas , E30 M3 , Lotus Twin Cam, BDA and nearly every Alfa ) but nearly every V6 sounds wonderful .

That’s the point, if you want to evoke a proper unblown twin cam, then the ND (or any MX-5) is the answer out of those two. I would have been torn, because I also like the look of the ND, but it would have been a much closer contest had the 124 had the Mazda engine. The fact that it has a fraction of the torque of a family hatchback in the mid range is part of the essence.

That was the original idea I believe but the bosses at the Alfa part of the group said “no way”, the car had to be an all Italian build to be an Alfa , hence the Fiatsco.

1 Like

Out of interest, what was it about the 124 that made you want that car? Looks are subjective, but the engine was “better” in the 124 I think, at least until the more powerful 2.0 in the ND came out. I suppose being a turbo, the delivery is very different too.

I couldn’t agree less.

The 2.0 ND1 was a disappointment compared with the 1.5, hence having tried both I went with the 1.5 back in 2017. But I wouldn’t want the 1.4 turbo in preference to either. Practical and easy to drive yes, you could probably put it in third and leave it there, but of no interest to me for a hobby car. Each to their own of course, but a massive missed opportunity putting that engine in the 124.

1 Like

Fair enough - I haven’t driven it - I just understood it was Fiats own engine, as they wanted to make the car more their own, which perhaps suited a different customer. But I agree a turbo will give a different style of driving, with better low down torque, which will suit a more relaxed style. I guess that the 124 is more of a “GT” than the MX5, which is more of a sports car?

1 Like

The ND is good in the corners.
The Spider is equally good in the corners and pulls away more decisively from them.
More rewarding on track.

Sorry, that came out more damningly than I intended - there’s no right and wrong of course, only preferences. And I dare say the 124 might be a bit more relaxing on a long journey. Peace to all 124 owners:)

1 Like

Ha ha.
Peace to all!
As you say…no rights or wrongs…just personal preferences.
We’re lucky to have choices.

2 Likes

No worries - happy to hear opinions - I agree no wrong or right thoughts. Just happy owners!!

2 Likes

It’s like a box of Quality Street. They are all nice but we all have our favourites. Not everyone likes the same ones the best.

However if you don’t think the purple one is best you are deluded.

8 Likes