First MX5 NC Power Mod

Hi Everyone

So I’ve had my MX5 for 2.5 years now and have been researching but mainly dithering/delaying getting my engine modded to release more power. I’ve been all over the forums and indeed this one, BBR, Roddisons, Blink, Skuzzle, BBR, Roddisons, Blink Skuzzle…
Basically I know the ins and outs of what’s available to do NA mods on an MX5 and roughly what they cost. To re-phrase the often asked question which of these mods gave YOU the most enjoyment over the stock car and why? I appreciate this is highly subjective and once the quest for extra power starts it often becomes addictive, but bang for buck what was your best mod and why??
FYI my car is stock but on Meister CRD’s and lowered. I love the chassis and it’s a delight to fire down bendy roads but I just feel it’s shackled in the low/medium rev range.
Your experiences, thoughts, recommendations and musings would be most welcome and might help drive me towards a decision.

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2010 NC2
  2. I’m based near: Chester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Power Mods
1 Like

Hi Jimbo,

I have a friend who had throttle bodies on his NA at Blink. Power went to about 185bhp. It was used purely on track, so the additional noise was not an issue. It sounded great, but I would say probably too much for the road, unless you want everyone to look at you.

Upside - pulled all the way through the rev range and was very linear power delivery, very easy to modulate power - especially good on track - relatively simple mod - should be reliable
Downside - does not give the feeling of “taking off” like a turbo, which has a bigger hit and gives more of a thrill. Also was loud

He then sold that car and bought a 300bhp turbo NA. Says that it is unbelievable! goes like you would not believe, but is a real handful and needs a lot of care to drive

Upside - goes like stink - feeling of acceleration is amazing - not loud, so ok for road use too
Downside - very difficult to modulate power - a bit all or nothing - higher potential to break, as it has a lot of ancillary bits that seem to always be costing him money to put right

In summary - they delivered power in a very different way. Both were huge fun, but whilst the first was easier to use, he says the rush of power in the turbo is intoxicating. Also the turbo will give him several years (decades at the current rate) to get to know the car as it cannot be “learned” in a few drives as it is overkill in reality and needs care.

Anyway, thats a starting point from a 3rd party point of view - I am sure you will get a lot more responses… Good luck with whatever you decide - you will definitely have fun!

Not done power mods to my 2010 Sport Tech. I did however install the last available, ever, Jackson Racing supercharger kit to one of my NA’s. 1600, stock 114bhp, after was 190bhp. Kit was just over £2k, fitted in half a day, fuel and power cards for engine management, piggy backed onto ECU, so, roughly £30/bhp, then the rule of diminishing returns kicks in :grin: that car was amazing, I just loved the reliability and its linear power delivery, was only 8psi of boost but car was transformed!
6B1081D8-80C0-42ED-9F6C-2D3725FF46CA
Barrie

2 Likes

I am just picking up the same car as you so will track this thread , I have the car booked in at WIM for Eibachs and geometry and is stock 2.L SE apart from that .

Kind of hoping there is a decent remap available tbh

I guess it all comes down to what you’re willing to spend.

I would go supercharger but I just don’t think it would be money well spent as my car is already 5k and then another 5k, 10k for a 250hp NC, I could go and buy a Jap import EP3, DC5 they will never lose value for that money and it would perform just as well. (I guess that’s personal)

NA route seems like bad value.
BBR 180 is £1450 (with cat)
BBR 200 is £2400 (with cat)

I reckon if you shopped around, used backbox, skuzzle and a remap you’re probably looking at £1000 all in, you’ll gain 10% more torque and 15/20hp.

Fit a 2.5 :grin:

3 Likes

Tbh I’d rather spend 1k on 14" wheels and skinny tyres

That’s a very nice looking engine bay Bettabuilda.
Takes me half a day to get my car up on axle stands and do an oil change never mind fit a supercharger!
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. Seems most people head down the forced induction route but I’m thinking I’ll go gently initially and upgrade the Manifold and remap the car.
I’d love to do the CM Supercharger but it’s as much as my car is worth!
The sound though, god I love superchargers!
Linear power is very appealing I like the twisty roads so turbos might not be the best option for me with the more lumpy power delivery.
The 2.5L engine makes some sense but my engine is sweet as a nut and has got 55K miles on it so hard to justify swapping it out at this time.
Would love to hear from more people…

1 Like

4-1 decat manifold and ECU remap.

As above, decent 4-1 manifold ( IL motorsport or Racing Beat ) and a remap will give a sportier and more enjoyable drive while keeping reliability.

1 Like

I have the same car [quote=“Jimbo_Ittai, post:1, topic:118370, full:true”]
Hi Everyone

So I’ve had my MX5 for 2.5 years now and have been researching but mainly dithering/delaying getting my engine modded to release more power. I’ve been all over the forums and indeed this one, BBR, Roddisons, Blink, Skuzzle, BBR, Roddisons, Blink Skuzzle…
Basically I know the ins and outs of what’s available to do NA mods on an MX5 and roughly what they cost. To re-phrase the often asked question which of these mods gave YOU the most enjoyment over the stock car and why? I appreciate this is highly subjective and once the quest for extra power starts it often becomes addictive, but bang for buck what was your best mod and why??
FYI my car is stock but on Meister CRD’s and lowered. I love the chassis and it’s a delight to fire down bendy roads but I just feel it’s shackled in the low/medium rev range.
Your experiences, thoughts, recommendations and musings would be most welcome and might help drive me towards a decision.

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2010 NC2
  2. I’m based near: Chester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Power Mods
    [/quote]

Sorry hit the wrong button! I was going to say I have the same car as you and like you, I ummed and aaahed a lot about what power mod to go for. In the end, I went for the BBR 185 kit (new sports catted manifold and remap) and I am very happy with it. Pulls way better from lower down and sounds amazing which was exactly what I was hoping for. The BBR guys are great too. Really know their stuff. Cost about £1450 all in. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I am very impressed with the car featured in the latest owners club magazine.
The guy has squeezed a 4.0 litre V8 quad cam 32 valve Lexus engine into an NA.
Apparently there is no weight penalty relative to the original motor and the installation looks incredibly neat in the pics…
Whether there is sufficient room in an NC engine bay I have no idea but presumably there is likely to be a fair weight penalty compared to a Duratec motor.

Thanks all for your posts, very interesting. So I’m booked into Blink Motorsport for a wheel alignment and their Optimised power package which includes iL manifold, EcuTek remap software including Racerom features. Smart feature is that four separate maps can be stored on the ECU and switched using the cruise control when stationary. 1, low octane 2, high octane, 3, high octane with Racerom features active 4, vallet mode (limited rpm).
The Racerom features are included and include, launch control, throttle auto-blip on downshift and flat foot shifting. Think I’ll only bother with the auto-blip as I doubt I’d ever use the others, not my kind of thing.
Anyway I’m excited and interested to see how it transforms the car and the way I drive it!

2 Likes

I’m excited for you! :slightly_smiling_face: what sort of costs and what performance increase do you expect ( if you don’t mind me asking)
Barrie

Just been on Blink website, looks like £1k + VAT for optimised package with potentially 22bhp increase! :+1:
Barrie

its a touch cheaper than the BBR180 and you don’t get the new back box but essentially the same thing i believe? I’ve just overhauled all the brakes myself so a quick man maths calculation says its costing me about £7-800 to have the upgrade done at Blink🤥

1 Like

Man maths is a great skill! :+1: I have a very nice ILMotorsport back box on mine which I wouldn’t want to change so BLINK looks a good option, plus it’s a heck of a lot nearer for me :nerd_face: is it a drive in/out job, done in the day?

Barrie

Yes its a days job assuming no other issues I guess. Correction: The BBR180 is an identical package actually and doesn’t include new exhaust bits that’s the Super185. So Blink is a tad cheaper and a lot closer to us up north. Blink are good guys, very knowledgeable and nice to deal with plus there’s usually a race car or two to have a nose around whilst your there. Im still trying to figure out the man maths equation to justify the CM supercharger but its too hard for the time being I just can’t balance it…

1 Like

Yes, would think the Corten-Miller upgrade would be very nice indeed! I saw their (Blink) car, the silver NC, at one of the N Wales meets I used to go to before lockdown! Chatted with Frazer about it. North of £5k was a bit beyond me though! :nerd_face:

Your option though, sounds very good value.

Barrie