Foamectomy and airbag sensor?

Hi all,

Turns out, I’m a lot fatter due to lockdown and my hair is much longer. So much so, my hair touches the rag top and it’s annoying. Also I’m 6 foot so that doesn’t help.

I see people have done foamectomys and it seems simple enough however as it’s a 2.5, it has sensors in the seats for the airbag system. Will a foamectomy where the bottom is trimmed impact the sensor working?

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk2.5
  2. I’m based near: Durham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: airbag sensor in mk2.5 seats when removing foam.

You need this:

I had no issues when I did it to the drivers seat in my 2002 Arizona.

Would it be easier to have an haircut when allowed? until then drop the “rag top”

Yes but there’s other things like the ability to look up :slight_smile:
Strangely I think another thing is that I feel like my MK1 had lower seats in them - although maybe a little less cushioned. It’s not to bad after 5 mins as my 18 stone ■■■■ has pushed the seat cushion into submission by then but genuinely would just like to sit a little lower - but all the guides I see - none of them seem to be done on chairs with sensors or things like heating elements so I am unsure if it’s the same kind of thing.

You are correct mind, it’s mostly only coming out on days when the top is down - it’s not a daily driver.

Oh and that airbag emulator looks like the dodgiest thing I could put in a car I also put my 4 year old son in lol. 40 quid for what looks like a resister in duct tape.

Look for set of Mk2 seats, they will fit and sit you lower.:+1:
Not sure if the wiring for the sensors are the same. I went from Mk2 seats and put the 2.5 seats in, definitely sits you higher.

Maybe its “dodgy”, but its to fool a warning lamp. I think you can use it on both seat. No doubt you can do it a lot cheaper by getting the resistors yourself.

Anyhow, isn’t it also dodgy to start chopping up the foam in your seat, affecting the said sensor, in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer?

Instead of essentially ruining the seat (a foamectomy can’t be reversed), consider modified seat rails.

eg

They’re universal, but I don’t see why they can’t be drilled to accept the 12mm bolt that fixes the rails to the seat.

Or get a spare seat for MOT time.

Sumilidon I’m 6’3" and 19st did the Foamectomy on my NB 2.5 18 months back (heated leather ones)
I’ve had no issues with the sensors.
The only issue is the seat becomes more of a bucket and the sides can dig in a bit if your not snake hipped :wink:

2 Likes

The emulator will not fit an Arizona as they are fitted with Ricareo seats which only have 2 sensor wires instead of 3 on a standard MX5. Does anybody know the resistance of the seat pad to build an emulator.

MX5 Arizonas had Recaro seats? I thought they just had the same seats as all the rest/ Just normal high back black leather seats

13652-10-small

They are different. If they were the same they would have a 3 wire air bag system. The seats are also colour coded. Only 1000 sets of seats were made.

According to the wiring diagram the occupancy sensor should be a 3 wire one on facelift MX-5. I’m pretty sure that pre-facelift doesn’t have an occupancy sensor. For the UK market anyway.

This is the mystery. As it I am Arizona the wiring is only 2 wires. The normal wiring is 3 wires and the emulator is 3 wires. What I am trying to find out is the resistance across the seat occupancy sensor pad so that I can make an emulator. Can anyone help?

Are you sure that you’re not looking at a heated seat element connector or something?

No the heated seat connector is the large black plug. The one that I am looking at is a small white 2pin plug on the passenger seat

This is a mystery car. Previously you said the seats were not original.

There were 1000 Arizonas, but they were all delivered with standard black leather seats, based on a non-sport car. The seats were never colour coded.

Possibly you have a car someone has fitted the Japan-only Mazdaspeed seats, which would not have been heated.

No Recaro seats in the catalogues.

Post a photo of the seat. I think you have something aftermarket or out of another car.

Attached photo of the seat

Photo of seat attached

1 Like