Focusing on the positives rather than the negatives

Hi Mel. I did read your post about you having a wonderful drive out… only for it to be undermined by a shift at work later! Oh, that grey matter between our ears Lol! Hoping too for you that Tues/Wed lets you take you “Freedom 5” for a spin… :slight_smile: I had a couple of sessions with a councillor many moons ago but didn’t stick with it, but I hear what you are saying… Therapy worked well for my sister once she found the right person, but she dropped again when that councillor moved out of her area… Chatting with you guys on here helps more than you know, and I appreciate the new found friendships found here :slight_smile:
Rob

2 Likes

It’s worth looking at the type of pill you’re taking, as well as the dosage. I was on Sertraline for a while and if anything it made me worse. Then there was Citalopram which was better but had lots of negative side effects. For the past year I’ve been on Escitalopram which is wonderful for me. Different pills work differently for different people.
In conjunction with the excellent therapy I was fortunate enough to eventually be signed up for by my GP (I’d been asking for years…) I feel in an OK place for the first time in ages. But I know I’m only the slightest thing away from a relapse. There’s a whole load of other stuff in my head that isn’t for a place like this, but I’m just putting this here to say I empathise and wish you all the best.

(On a practical day-to-day basis, Presently and the audiobook version of this (I couldn’t get on with the book itself) help me enormously.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely! It took me a few attempts to get the right one and now, if I ever had a problem, I wouldn’t want to see anyone else. I haven’t had to speak to her in a few years now but I have the knowledge that her door is always open for me. Might be a strange thing to say but even now, when I get through a difficult situation without having to contact her, I try and remember to give myself a wee thumbs up.
I’ve only ever had to get back in-touch with her once and that was when I was suffering some critical incident stress after I’d been involved with a fatality at work. With my history of PTSD, that could’ve proved dangerous but thankfully, after a few weeks all was well again :blush:

2 Likes

I’m currently taking Fluoxetine, but was on a higher dose a few years ago than I’m on now.
As Mel says, the therapy can be hugely beneficial and something I may reconsider. When I do feel down, I recognise it which is a start, and I tell myself it’s nonsense. I’m like many though, have stuff going round in my head which is troubling mentally, but has little to do with problems in the real world!
I hope and wish you all the best too my friend.
Rob

1 Like

Is good to have her there in the background Mel… and that in itself gives you some strength and security… which is priceless. I’m sorry to hear about you being involved in a fatality at work - the effects of these experiences continue with us for such a long time… even if we don’t know it…
It’s good to talk isn’t it, even on here typing into this little box?!! :smile:
Rob

As the BT man used to say :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Going back a bit for that slogan.

Ex-BT myself so I know about these things. That was replaced by the much more realistic statement below.

If you wanted fast broadband you should have bought a house nearer the exchange. :wink:

3 Likes

Lol, I know- showing my age :roll_eyes::rofl:

I live with bipolar disorder. When I came back to the UK I went for 18 months without an MX5 and became quite ill, without realising why. Then accidentally got back into MX5s again. As I went from 1 to 2 to 3 I got better and better. Saw my doctor for a check up last week and she says if the cops ever stop me for driving out of my area they can ring her direct on her mobile number for a confirmation that my journey is essential.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever had a cap fall off in the slipstream?

I haven’t, over many hundreds of thousands of miles in all 4 models, with the roof only up for maybe 1% of the time when it was too hot (in Australia) for the roof to be down.