Front facing Camera

Has anyone anyone any suggestions for a front facing camera install on a 2020 MX5 soft top? I’d like one that is discreet and without visible wiring, either to fit personally or get the dealer to fit it.
Any ideas would be much appreciated

I bought this quite a while ago, lovely little and neat camera. Mounted up behind the mirror, all wires behind trim down to fuse box in passenger footwell. I also purchased their hardwire kit for £15 but TBH, plenty of solutions available. Mag mount allows quick removal with no suction cup telltale signs on windscreen. Great solution, or it is for me! :+1:
Barrie

1 Like

Brilliant; thank you. When installing it do you stick the mag base to the window glass or to the actual frame of the windscreen? Presumably the fitting at the camera end then just snaps onto the magnet.

Hiya, the magnetic base plate, I fixed to the windscreen with the supplied double sided tape. The magnet is really strong and it snaps into place very easily. There is the power wire from the camera to disconnect if removing it (USB mini IIRC).
The only thing I found was, if connecting to phone whilst at home, I need to disconnect house WiFi from phone first, it then connects straight away! If you’re somewhere else, then no problem :call_me_hand: The app is good and depending on size of SD card and loop time duration, you can view a heck of a lot of video content later. I have mine piggybacked to a switched live so it only comes to life when I’ve started the car. Very happy with it! Other brands are available though! :sunglasses::sunglasses:
Barrie

1 Like

Have the Garmin Mini hard wired as Barry suggested. Tucks up behind the mirror and discreet.

1 Like

Thank you both :slight_smile:

Mine is a DDPAI mini, very similar to the one recommended. Small and discreet, just what you want. With a WiFi connection to your phone you can watch and download all the footage without needing a screen on the camera.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DDPai-mini2p-Distortionless-Parking-Monitor/dp/B07414XNVW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=DDPAI+mini&qid=1620666524&sr=8-4

At the time it was on offer for £49

I would recommend routing the cable down the drivers side ‘A’ pillar rather than the passenger side. There are no cables on the drivers side. I had an issue on my first ND using the passenger side and trying to fit in more cables which distorted (ever so slightly) how the ‘A’ pillar cover connected back into the head lining cover. (Albeit I was installing welcome lighting cables at the same time).

On my new MX5 all cables run down the drivers side.

I wrote a post about that install here:

Granted it was a bit of a faff getting the cable back across to the passenger side to connect to the accessory socket.

1 Like

Much appreciated; thanks again

If discreet is a key consideration, it may be worth considering those without an integral screen, like the Blackvue products. As they don’t need a large flat plane anywhere, they’re much lower profile and could go up against the headlining and almost disappear.