Fuel Pump Problem Recall - 2018/2019 NDs

Apparently there is or may be a recall for 2018/2019 MX-5 NDs as per the article below:

I realise this is an USA article but it mentions the recall being undertaken in markets other than the USA. My early 2019 BBR Super 220 ND has suffered some of the symptoms described, loss of power etc. and has displayed the OBDII fault codes for “Low Fuel Rail Pressure” and "Random Multiple Misfire). In the case of the “Low Fuel Rail Pressure” event the EML (“Engine check light”) came on and the car went into limp mode. After leaving the car for a bit and a couple of driving cycles, the car recovered and I was able to delete the fault code.

I just wondered if anybody else is aware of this recall applying to the UK market or had any contact from Mazda? Maybe I am grasping at straws regarding the problems I have had with my car but it is a bit of a coincidence. Maybe the BBR Super 220 conversion exacerbates the problem as there will be a larger fuel demand under larger fuel demand under high power demand conditions compared to the standard car.

Not listed on the UK Gov recalls list so far.

1 Like

Is it related to the fuel grades or quality in the US?
Don’t they have some high ethanol fuel also?

I REMEMBER the USA having fuel pump problems for the RX~8 Mazda started there recall system 3 years before they got around to doing anything in Europe ….!

2 Likes

Ian, yes, I did check there, thanks.

The article suggests that the recall has not been completed yet “Owners will be notified of the recall fix by Jan. 11, 2022” and Mazda maybe doing one market at a time, which may be exacerbated by supply problems for the various markets. Maybe as exiled-viking suggests, it may be sometime before we see a recall here.

Another couple of articles.

Mazda Fuel Pump Recall Leads to Lawsuit | CarComplaints.com.

//news-primer.com/mazda-fuel-pump-recall-issued-for-impellers/

Oh dear!

Apparently it is a Denso fuel pump problem and is due to the material used for the fuel pump impeller. Doesn’t just affect Mazda cars either but other makes as well.

1 Like

Just received a recall letter for this today. Says to book in with our local Mazda dealer as soon as possible.

1 Like

So, I was correct then. Expecting to see my recall letter soon. If I don’t get one I will contact my nearest dealer.

Cheers Roz.

1 Like

Mine’s a 2019 model so I thought I’d check with the online recall checker, and was surprised to find …

so I’ll need to get it booked in then…

Still not, I wonder what the cut off is.

Between VIN serial numbers 306731 – 404934

4 Likes

Ah! Mine’s VIN …407XXX so that is why it is not listed for the recall.

Thanks Robbie.

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND2
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    Just received the fuel pump recall for my 2019 ND2. Parts and ‘special tool’ not available until March my local dealership informs me!

If you think that that is bad, a friend of mine has had his Alpine A110 sat at the dealers for 3 months waiting for a new set of front brake pads from Renault/Alpine without any delivery due date confirmation. He has now given up and bought a set of aftermarket pads from Life 110 which he had fitted by the dealer. Got the car back on the road only yesterday.

…ta for the heads up, just been on the GOV MOT website and it is saying “no outstanding recalls”, (car new in 2019), but going to dealer on Friday for a warranty job so I will double check with them anyway…

Just have a look at your ‘log book’ or look through the windscreen at the bottom on the nearside and you will have the answer.
:heart:

1 Like

I have a late 18 Super 220. No issues but got the recall letter this morning. Booked in for 28th Feb.

1 Like

The recall was completed on my car about 2 weeks ago.
After which the DVLA recall notice disappeared the same day so they must update their system very quickly! Only just received the formal letter notifying me of the recall today so Head Office must be playing catch up…

Got my recall letter this morning. Will get it booked in today.