Fuel Pump Problem Recall - 2018/2019 NDs

Just got my recall letter today…
Anyone know how long it takes the dealer to fix the problem?

Rob

Mine is booked in for 11 Feb. They said they will need the car for most of the day as there is quite a bit of dismantling to get to the pump.

Booked in for the 16th Feb… I’ve tried to narrow them down to taking the MX-5 either in the morning or afternoon on the day… Approximately a 2 hour job I’ve been told…

Rob

They had mine for half a day, had a courtesy car for the morning so wasn’t put out too much.

THamks Robbie,
Our VIN is 410 series…so hopefully in the clear…
regards
John & Patricia

Out of interest, has anybody who has/is to have their fuel pump replaced had any issues. I had an event when I ran the engine up to maximum revs whilst accelerating hard. The engine management light came on and the car went into limp mode. I checked the engine OBDII DTC fault code which identified the problem as “Insufficient Fuel Rail Pressure”. I left the car to “rest” for a bit and then took it out for a couple of short drives (cycles) and the engine recovered, the engine management light went out and the car drove normally again. I then deleted the fault code and it has never shown the same problem again. I had wondered if the standard fuel pump was not able to supply enough fuel to cope with the BBR Super 220 upgrade, then when I saw this recall I wondered if this had been the cause but as my car has not been recalled I am non the wiser. :thinking:

If your cars not on the recall list then probably best to speak to BBR regarding the EML…

I did talk to BBR and they did not investigate it nor could they explain it. Basically they just shrugged their shoulders.

Cheers.

It may have been air in the LP system which led to a momentary lack of fuel supplied by the new pump to the HP pump. (I assume it’s the LP pump that’s being replaced)

Was the tank too low on fuel?

Enough so under mega acceleration the pickup was no longer 100% submerged because what fuel remaining was all at the back of the tank?

Impressive G forces maybe? :grinning:

No, the tank was nearly full. I checked that there was no vacuum build up in the tank due to a faulty breather as well. If it was the acceleration then :grinning:
Cheers.

1 Like

Hello all.

I have just received my recall letter for my September 2018 MX5-RF 1.5L.

I went to book it in and was surprised when they told me they have to remove the seat/s and a lot of interior trim to access the part.

This though fills me with dread … putting it mildly.

I’ve read on another MX5 forum the Mazda step by step guide of whats involved and I’m dreading it. So much has to be removed.

Has anybody who has had this work completed found any damage, broken clips, scratches, mis-aligned panels afterwards?

I know I have to have it done, but was just interested in hearing peoples experiences so far.

I hope I’ve put this in the right section, wasn’t sure if I needed to start a new thread or not.

Louise

Hi Louise,

For a trained technician it should be no problem to complete this competently. The clips and bolts actually are not difficult to remove and replace without damaging things.

Though always worth having a good check after the job is done that there is no damage, same for any job really.

2 Likes

I was told a day, but it was ready to collect by 12:30 p.m.

Think they’re all coming to be honest! Mine still says no outstanding recalls on Mazda’s site, but I expect that to change. They’re clearly staggering it to avoid being inundated with bookings and there’s also a shortage of parts. However I have every confidence in my Mazda dealer (Oakmere Northwich), they’re brill.

Just check your VIN then you will know for sure.
:heart:

2 Likes

Oh cool looks like I missed that batch then! 408XXX for mine (last 6 digits)

Just a quick update on mine. Took it to Perrys in Mansfield for the recall at 8am today, and it was done and ready to be collected by 11:30.

Rob

1 Like

Does everything interior wise seem ok after being taken apart?

Hi Louise.

When I got it home I dropped the roof to have a look around inside - Was only a quick look as the wind and rain of yesterdays storm was starting, but all looked good and fitted back correctly. Just a few greasy marks here and there that needed a quick wipe off - but all fine.
If anything arises I will post back here.

Rob

1 Like