Full set of suspension bolts NC

Hi Guys

2.0 NC 2006

What I need is a set of rear suspension bolts basically. Which bolts? All of them. Why? long story short they are rusty and over used that if they strip any further it becomes an angle grinder job.

All of the bushings need replacing as they are the originals and they have done a good job so far. I don’t want to put the old bolts back.

Is it a e-mail mx5parts job? on ebay everyone is selling used.

You could do some research on jimellismazdaparts.com using the parts diagrams and part numbers listed there. You may find ordering from your local mazda dealer cheaper than mx5parts.

That’s what I’d do, get a quote for the whole shooting match from mx5parts.
What are you thinking regards the bushes, new oem ones or going aftermarket? Superpro or something like that?

I suppose it won’t hurt a quote from both

Yes I was just drafting the email.

Yes polybushings. I read bad reviews about superpro. Was thinking more powerflex. I was looking on here fore recommendations.

Sorry can’t help more than repeat hearsay.
Superpro look awfully expensive, that said, I often suffer from the buy cheap buy twice moral…

1 Like

You will also need the Tow Link Arm bolt most likely.

Mounted on the upright end of the arm and holds the Tow arm into the hub.

Its an anti rotate bolt, steel in aluminium and difficult to remove and frequently needs to be replaced after you beat it into submission!

yes them ones too. I might have done something that didn’t help my cause, but I won’t mention it as it’s a bit embarrassing lol

I would discreetly also comment that if you have not removed a bush from an arm before to prep yourself for a days work each side. If you have a 10Tonne press you stand a chance of doing it in half the time.

On two occasions I resorted to a blow torch to weaken the rubber to enable my vice to force it out, that rubber spits as it burns up.

All you got to do then is get the new bush back in, good luck doing that as well.

All in a cow of a job.

p.s.
I have spare hubs if you got heavy handed…

Have you seen this thread? Comments on bushes etc, worth a read:

1 Like

I have done bushings before and yes they are a pain. Some I pressed, some I burned, some I cut. When I disassembled the rear end to the last bolt, I have spent the money changing the diff bushings as I know I won’t have a chance to do them ever again.

I did all the work on my drive without a 10 ton press and the most basic of tools. I drilled the rubber bushings all around and then used a large threaded bolt with washers as spacers to draw them out. The Superpro were a similar price to original and were available during lockdown and once again easier to fit with the bolt and washer technique. As for how they are whilst driving, I’ll have to wait another mo tb or so as its still at the bodyshop and then I have to rebuild it. I will update as soon as I have driven it.

If you are looking for a full set I would recommend the Skid nation bolts. Good steel and can be torqued up more than standard.
https://skidnation.co.uk/shop/mazda-mx5-nc-mk3-alignment-bolts-set/

As for bushes, I have used Polybush, Powerflex and Superpro as well as a higher density rubber. Always a debate about what is best. I would suggest Polybush (no grease) as a compromise for a fast road car or if you want more track bias and a bearing bush, Power flex have stainless crush tubes. I have had good results with Superpro but would not use the off center camber bushes on an MX5 as there is plenty of adjustment as standard. Any bush you need to grease will require some maintenance so once you have them in cover them over with something clear like Bilt Hamber Dynax UC or Buzzweld UP so they come apart if you need to regrease and you can see their condition.

They look great, I need the rest of the bolts too.

Thanks for the advice on polybushing.