General car and motoring chit/chat

went to Asda this morning and had to park in the parent and child space because it’s an mx5 and mx5’s have long doors and if I park in a normal space i usually end up having to push the car out of the space so i can get in it!

anyway, I get back to the car to find a huge great big Navaro thing has just pulled in next to me.
the lady driving it climbs down out of the thing, looks at me with my shopping that I’m putting in the passenger seat and says “i that your child then”
so i answered “i have to park in these because of my long doors”
i then demonstrated the fact that i couldn’t open the door fully even in the wider bay!
this seemed to placate her.

as I got in the car I noticed her getting her tribe of children out of the massive gas guzzling, road damaging, planet polluting oversized 4by4.

and I thought to myself “what’s the point in having kids if you are going to drive a car so ridiculously large that it’s basically going to kill the planet before your kids can even grow up”
ok, yes, I’m being hyperbolic but then again when you think just how many soccer mums are out there driving 4by4 gas guzzlers just for the school run it does make you wonder just how much better the environment would be if they drove something more sensible!

and before anyone calls me a hypocrite for driving an mx5, I’ll just point out that my mx5 is ultra-low emission compliant! and I’m pretty sure that all those 8-year-old diesel range rovers and Navarro’s can not say the same.

1 Like

" i usually end up having to push the car out of the space so i can get in it!"

So you can’t get in, assuming you leave the handbrake off in those situations.

Park out of the way, other side of the car park, I do and usually it’s ok.

You see a good deal of drivers park as close to the store as possible. Squeezing in the one last space available, able bodied I’m talking about, I keep as far away as possible.

3 Likes

A couple of years ago I thought people in BMW’s and sportcars were twats when they parked in middle of two parking spaces or at parent and child area.

I didn’t realise the reason why they do that until my mx5 mirror was scratched at a carpark. I also found out that if you park at an empty area in a carpark, there will always be a ■■■■ that will come and park right next to you, even if there is loads of empty space. So I now unfortunately I park the same way as BMW owners … :sweat_smile:

So if the parent & child places were all full then where would you have gone? Disabled bay maybe?

1 Like

diagonally taking 1.5 space :innocent:

lets just say that im a big chap!!! (all of 20 stone)
who incidentatly squeeses himself into a mx5 everyday (its quite a sight)
so i need to be able to fully open the door or else seeing me getting in inst pretty or even funny!

1 Like

i just realised the club store, if all has gone to plan, should be putting up the club numerplate surrounds in the near future!

i really hope things have gone to plan for them as it will great to finally get my rear plate sorted out, straighend out and looking good!

YES FINNALLY
MX5Parts jast emailed me to say my chassis braces are on the way!!
WOOT
only been waiting since they first sold out on novembers black friday to get em!.

on a side note im guessing all the IL Motorsport items are also back in stock now

1 Like

And the 2 seater car pays off again :grinning:

people ring me up for a lift and then when they realise i only have a 2 seater all of a sudden its, oh, um, erm, ok talk to you later!!!

seriously having a 2 seater makes life so much easier!
“sorry i cant be your taxi, i dont have the seats for it!”
i love my mx5 so much more right now!

3 Likes

We’ve been having a clear-out, and buried amongst decades of family memorabilia I came across these two “Company of Veteran Motorists” badges that belonged to my grandfather. The chrome add-on was definitely associated with the 58, and the 59 shows hints of weathering suggesting no add-on.

I know for certain he was a motoring enthusiast in late 1890s and even building and modifying his own vehicles in the very early 20th century.

I’m unsure if the numbers refer to years of membership or simply his years of (safe?) driving (with a license?), because the envelope they were in (from CVM Bush House London WC2) has post marks from 1956 and CVM was only founded in 1936 (apparently, according to the Wiki).

And that is the limit of my knowledge about the original early CVM badges (pre GEM). Does anyone know more?

3 Likes

ive never even heard of the company of veteran motorists

1 Like

Hi RichardFX,
Below is a period advert for the Company of Veteran Motorists, which gives you a bit more information about it!

1 Like

“If you have driven for 10 years with no serious conviction.”

We were discussing the possible meanings for the badge among my group of friends on our walk last Sunday.

We all fit in the 50 to 60 years of driving, and all have been clean for at least 50. Proving, I guess, that the young and stupid (as I once was) are the ones that collect accidents and points (as I did).

1 Like

my new floor mats just arrived and i put them in straight away.
i was rather worried that they wouldnt be the crrect ones,
BUT
i am pleased to report that they are the correct one’s that fit into the fitting studs that are in the carpet just infront of the seats.

if anyone else is looking for mats for a NC2 sport tech.
these are the ones i got and they are the correct fit

1 Like

This is a good example of where not to park on a perfectly legal part of the road.

This is just where the road widens from a width restricted pedestrian crossing twenty-five metres behind me in the kerbside lane and spreads out into a dual carriageway. Normally four or five cars park here.

Somebody not paying attention ran into the offside rear corner of this Swift at speed, didn’t attempt to slow down, and departed even faster. They shunted it from where the chimney pot shadow reaches across into the road all the way along up the kerb and into the crossover.

The skid mark shows how well the handbrake works on a Swift, and the thin gouge is from a bit of wheel arch or something trapped under the front of that rear wheel, the tyre still has pressure.

My pics were taken at about 11.23 on Saturday, and it had been recovered by 13.30.

I was told earlier today (Sunday) there was a serious accident about a mile further on near the big roundabout over the A40, possibly soon after this one. I don’t know if it was the same driver.

1 Like

apparently the chancelor has taken 5pence off the price of fuel!

whats the betting that by time this filters through the oil companys will have stuck the price again anyway!

I’ve just stuck some in for my journey back home tomorrow, it was 6p pl cheaper today. So it seems for now Tesco have knocked 1p off extra, apparently Vat, Sainsbury’s, Asda have done the same I believe.
Every little helps I suppose but how much it goes up from now, who knows.:roll_eyes:

another member is selling a set of extreamly nice Recaro 17inch wheels off of an ND.
iv been mooning over these wheels for the last 3 days ever since i first saw them and this morning i thought “■■■■■■ it im going to make an offer” but as i sat there looking at these fantastic looking wheels i noticed that they wont actually fit on my NC!

for some reason mazda made the NC with a 5 stud hub whilst the NA, NB and ND have 4 stud hubs!
talk about anoying!

Yes, because you need 5 studs on a MX5 with it being so heavy. :rofl:

1 Like

is there a club discount for BBR?