Given the choice, which model variant would you go for?

MK4 for me definitely   

Over almost the last twenty years I’ve owned several MK1’s, all Eunos, all 1.6 bar one, a 1.8 J2 LTD, all others were classic red. A NC1 base +option pack 1.8 and currently mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech. Loved them all but the two that stand out for me are both in my signature below. The supercharged mk1 and the “1800 GT” the NC1. I regret selling both of them and if I had to pick one of them, I don’t think I could? Never owned a mk2/2.5 and yet to explore the mk4’s. All great in their own way though I think. 

Barrie

My new ND 2 Sport Nav is best so far for me, had a mk2.5 which I really liked and a Mk3 which I didn’t really. But the 4 with the 184ps I love, the burst in 2nd gear is pretty useful. May still BBR it though…

The one they haven’t made . It’s an ND, with the lowered springs as standard and steering borrowed from a Lotus or Porsche - to introduce some feel and feedback. Under the bonnet will be a 200bhp iteration of the lovely little V6 Mazda made years ago , and raced in the BTCC in tne Xedos .

And that is the nearest I will be able to get to a modern  homage to a favourite from long ago - the Fiat Dino Spyder . I’ll take it in a smoky blue or a lively red please.

Oohhhhh …You tease you.

1 Like

having had a mk1, mk2, mk3 the Mk1 makes me smile the most :slight_smile: . although I have not tried a mk4 since the launch edition where I couldn’t get my knees under the wheel! I hear the 2000 models have reach adjustable steering wheels so maybe it’s time to another look.

I get to drive a mint NA Eunos 1.6 regularly (my son’s) and also a new ND 1.5 (my daughter’s). I love both of them. The Eunos is so much cooler than all the others. The mk 2, 2.5, and 3 just don’t look right to me but that’s a personal thing. I’d probably go brand new and stick with the 1.5 as it just has more character and a nicer engine than the 2.0 (which I’ve also driven a lot in RF and soft-top form). It would need a sports exhaust though :slight_smile:

I have been seduced by pop ups.

1 Like

What this thread shows is that everyone should have at least two mx5s.

I’ve driven every model and the ND is a quantum leap forward in terms of driving experience. Got to scratch the itch and get a 184 soon .

Unlike many I thought the NC was a cool design , possibly a little heavy but the PRHT was a work of genius, I think they made a mistake with the RF although it looks nice roof up

1 Like

Currently have a new GT Sport Nav Auto, as nice as it is I still miss my V Spec eunos……….chalk n cheese…………

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

1 Like

Recaro ND + BBR Turbo.

As much as I like my Mk3 1.8, I’d like an RF 2.0 in Red or metallic Grey :blush:

2 Likes

I am without an MX5 right now but will be putting this right as soon as the Covid-19 crisis clears. I am pretty sure that I will get a mk4 1.5, but I did own a JDM RS-ltd. It was amazing!

Difficult…i was always convinced that the NA was the best off them all…untill the ND arrived.
I have an NA and still love it as a fun-car, as a daily i had an NB 1.8 sportive (bought in UK) and it served its purpose as a daily slightly better but …rust was too severe to justify the repair costs so it had to go. I replaced it with the generation that i disliked most; the NC (3.5 2.0 PRHT) .
It had to grow on me because i thaught (still do) it’s not the best looking five ever made (NC1 especialy) and due to its weight and volume its probably the worse handling five (worse in this case is…still great) but as a daily i beleive it can’t be beaten ; comfort is good, room inside is good, PRHT is excellent in winter time and the ride is smooth.
So for the final verdict i would say the winner is 1. ND (great compromise between handling and comfort). 2 and 3 (ex-aquo) NA and NC, they’re extremely different but they serve their own purposes perfectly .NA being the sportiest, NC being the most comfortable.
Lets wait and see what the NE will be…

…the NE will probably be electric :frowning:

If Mazda survives the Blackswan event. There will be some car companies that will disappear. Before the crisis, Aston Martin, JLR and FCA were a bit doubtful.

Difficult as they are all flawed in my opinion, which is why you see so many modified ones!

Only owned Mk1s, albeit five of them. My list is about 99% subjective!

=1. Mk1 - 1.8. Lowered. Basically WOW (RIP - see below) without the terminal rust.
=1. Mk3.75 - Because it doesn’t have the electronic nonsense of the ND that I hate in modern cars, but is a bit less basic than a NA. I also really like the second facelift. Would probably be a hard top too - this is the ‘practical’ one after all.

1. Mk4 - A compromised amalgam of the joint winners. Although I hardly fit - I’ve not the longest legs but I’d be constantly smashing my knee against the dash.

=3. Mk3/3.25 - See above, but not so keen on the looks. Prefer the Mk3 though.

1. Mk2 - Without a front number plate, like in the US. Lovely front end, though I’ve never liked the overall look at much as the Mk1 - I’m a sucker for those lovely lamps… And if you’re going to have a basic car have the original.

2. Mk2.5 - Stick an angular face on a rounded design. No thanks. Not even if it is fettled to be the ultimate expression of original concept. (If you could put the Mk2 nose on the Mk2.5 I’d probably swap places 4 & 5!).

If it came to crunch though & I had to have just one, I’d bring this lovely back from the dead in a moment…

I guess it what you want from it…I had a mk1 auto 1.6 that was nice good for driving the Lake District …enjoyed the hills better being a auto…lots of mg latter I brought a 2.0 RF mk4 nice car but cramped OK for me driving,but no comfortable for passengers …and I did 1500 miles in the first week did not like the handling so had to sort that out when I got back that took the edge of what should have been a nice tour…I now have a mk3 2.0 sport…so if racing round is not your thing them this is a car to have then again iam getting older so slowing down a bit now…over all there is one for every one no bad one…bar for the rust??? Even the mk4 was showing sighs of it at only 18000 miles…