Good wheel size for an NA

1. My model of MX-5 is: _NA V Spec 1993
  2. I’m based near: Manchester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Wheels

Does anyone know if Japan Racing JR3 or 12 fit nicely on a stock NA?
My wheel is buckled and I want a new set. Im also riding too low on 45/195 on 14’s and want to up it. They also left a big gap as the tire is too small.

Looking at getting some 15’s from JR ET25. does anyone know if theyre a good straight swap and they won’t rub etc? I use it for a daily drive so I don’t want to roll anything. looking at 7.5 inch wide? what about 8’s are they too wide and will rub on full lock?

thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I have a 1992 eunos on mk4 alloys. 16x 6.5J 195/45 tyres they do rub but only on full lock.

That’s with stock suspension too.

1 Like

Nice. Im looking for 15’s so that’s reassuring but I want to go back up to 195/50 or just not 45 at least. Sorry should have said that. I prefer the bigger tire wall.
that’s a big wheel I didnt know you could go tp 16 without rolling or doing something. nice!

Tire or tyre? Not sure where you are living.

Fitment will depend on a few things; if you have a 1.8 or 1.8 brakes, the discs are bigger (1993 is the cross over year for Eunos Roadsters). Some wheel designs will kiss the front calipers. I would not recommend a 25mm offset.

Why on earth have you fitted 195/45s to a 14" wheel??? You’ve reduced the overall diameter by almost 2", and your speedo accuracy is on the very edge of legality. Hopefully you know that to retain the correct overall diameter on a 15" wheel, you need 195/50 15 tyres. 195s will fit a 8" wheel, but its a bit of a stretch. 205/50 15s will be only 1.5% out. In some cases, this tyre size will catch.

Deep South of Alabama y’all. tis how we say things here.

I have a 1.8 L reg so not sure if mine are bigger or not? anyway of telling by using the VIN number?

When I was 16 I used to have my hair swept across my eyes as I thought it would look cool. Then you grow up and you realise it looks S**t. Same rule can be applied here pal. Thought it would make it look cool and lower, just made it look lower but not very cool.
Ha! I think if any NA speedo was calibrated with stock tYres you’ll find it isn’t exactly accurate.

Thanks for the response, I was aiming for 15" with 195/50 on. What are you referring to when you say 1.5% out?
Ok so would a 195/50 tyre on a 15" 7.5" be the best choice here with no rubbing?

Thanks for the info

I found this helpful in making sure the speedo was accurate.

I lived and worked for a while in the deep south of Alabama, not far from Bayou La Batre.

A 1.8 Roadster will have bigger discs. You vin should start NA8C… If NA6CE…, you have a 1.6.

For MOT, you need +/-10%, within the tolerance of road legal tyres

With 205/50 15, your speedo will be running 1.5% too fast.

7.5" width better. I would not go below 30mm offset.

This style of wheel, which had a 35mm offset, gave problems with 1.8 brakes, so 5mm shims were fitted. Maxilite 15", Meister R Zeta-Pros, out of the box settings

My other car with 15" factory BBS, 45mm offset, on Protechs

Hi, i run 7x15’s with 195/50 tyres no probs… altough i’m not sure about the et value (believe it’s 25) no rubbing!!! Car is lowered (3.5 cms) and i have 1cm wheel spacers (at the rear) hope this helps.
I found this on the Bofi racing website

Mazda MX-5 NA & NB (1989-2005)

Width 7 7.5 8 8.5 9 9.5 10
Minimum Offset
Stock Arches ET25 ET30 ET36 ET42 ET48 X X
Rolled Arches ET12 ET18 ET24 ET30 ET36 ET42 ET48
Pulled Arches ET0 ET6 ET12 ET18 ET24 ET30 ET36
Wide Arches ET-12 ET-6 ET0 ET6 ET12 ET18 ET24
Have this info from Bofi racing:

7.5j et25 will fit fine without rubbing

My 8j et28 only rubbed very slightly on the rears taking bumps at speed so I had to very minorly roll the arches

15" wheels imo are the best size, I always feel like smaller wheels look too small and people end up lowering the car too much to get them to look decent

14" is what the car was designed for, but tyre choice is poor now so I would go for 15".

From before the Miata even went on sale, Mazda was fitting 15" wheels.

While most cars were marketed with 14" wheels, its not correct to say the NA was designed with a 14" wheel only in mind. Given the wheel package fitted to the clubman spec M2-1001 by Mazda, I suspect the Mazda engineers knew a bit more about unsprung weight tolerance.

Ever since I brought my first MX5 in 1995, the chat on the lists, forums, was about 185/60 14 tyre choice; its never been very good. The variety of 2023 185/60 14 tyres is probably about the same as it was in 1995. The original factory tyres were Bridgestone SF-325, which were specially designed for the car. But user reviews at the time pretty roundly condemmed them.

Current brands in the original size listing on the popular tyre sizes
Autogreen
Hankook
Goodyear
Dunlop
Continental
Michelin
Kumho
Toyo
Dynamo
Tomket
Pace
Radar
Nankang
Yokohama
Uniroyal
Pirelli
Vredestein
Barum
Goodride
Nexen
Maxxis
Kapsen
Fullrun
Roadstone
Matador

There are tyres to suit all budgets and intents.

What you really mean is that 195/50 15 tyres can be cheaper.

in my experience you get a very good value tyre in the 195/50x15 . I would always go for the best tyre you can although if you want cheap the Kumho Ecsta HS52 is very cheap with a surprisingly good review in Auto Express

What I really mean is that good UHP tyres in 14" are now rare. It used to be between Goodyear Eagle F1 and Toyo T1R but neither are still made. There are tyres in that size (and a surprising number of winter tyres, possibly old stock) but not of the quality that used to be available.

Oh sorry I was only joking about the Alabama. I just thought your response was funny. Im based in Manchester. Slightly less exotic!

Thanks for the reply and update. Why do you recommend and an offset not less than 30? Ive never bought wheels before so all this is new to me. The Japan Racing ones I’ve been looking at all seam to be 25? Does that just mean they’re stick out 20 mm more than the factory 45 offset. At leat thats what someone told me is the factory offset on my daisy euros wheels.

so 195/50 will be a standard tyre with the speedo running ‘correct’. Although im quite sure my speedo is way out ragardless.

Thanks for the pics, looking sharp.

Ha yes this was my idea when I fitted 195/45 on 14" but then I didnt get road to buying and lowering springs so it just looks silly with a huge gap in the wheel are. Thanks for the info. What tyres do you run on 8J? et 28’s which means it rubs a big at the back?

ITs between the JR3 and JR12’s im looking at as they look quite similar to the daisy wheels and come in a highly polished silver to replicate the chrome look of the daisies. but one of them only comes in 8" wide I think so was wondering if its too wide for daily drive.

Thanks thats super useful. Good to know yours doesn’t rub. So if the tyres im looking at are 7.5 and et 25. will that mean they may rub. According to this chart at least of not being et 30. The 8" also I think are et 25 so thats even worse?

They will rub.

I’ll post this again for those that didn’t see it.

So if you have a 15 x 7J wheel with a 30 offset, will it fit?

Width in inches so 7" x 25.4 to give the wheel width (they are wider than this, but this is good enough) 177.8 (you can round it up to 178.

Divide that by 2 to give you half the width and then take away the offset 178/2 - 30 = 59mm.

So here are the important figures.

For MK1 cars, if that final figure is below 66 , for normal tyres and suspension you will require no body mods to fit the wheels.
For MK2 cars the figure is 78

If you go above these figures you are likely to need to roll your arches. Spastic camber is not a solution and it will cost you more in tyres that the cost of rolling.

If you fit big tyres the situation will be different, so 225 50 15 tyres would require the arches rolling and pulling if you are at the 78 figure for instance.

Is this the same front and rear? Or could you have wider in the rear? Say, if you’re running more power for instance.