GoPro Fixing

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC 2.0 Sport
  2. I’m based near: __Liverpool
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __GoPro fixing position…

I’m headed for a track day in November and I’ll be fixing an action cam to record my “action” (yeah…right).

The plum position I’m guessing is on the passenger roll hoop doodars. Off with the plastic cover, introduce a bracket and mount the camera.

Has anybody any other tips I might need to achieve this with the minimum of fuss ?

Thanks

Add a secondary fixing with a safety strap for when the primary mounting vibrates off!

They often do, and back in the days when I did this for work we always had multiple fixings or added a suitable safety strap, (or more depending on camera value). Sucker mounts don’t hold for long against vibration and safety strap is mandatory.

Consider
a) loss of camera
b) collateral damage to you, car, third parties
c) annoyance and inconvenience at losing that fantastic once in a million shot…

I mount GoPros on lots of different cars that are used for trackdays. My “go to” method is a a simple adhesive pad and shoe on the windscreen slightly to the passenger side and below the rear view mirror. To ensure good adhesion I clean the contact area either with brake cleaner or an alcohol wipe - something to remove any traces of dirt or grease. And I then fairly loosely attach a tie wrap between the fixing bracket and rear view mirror stem. I’ve never had a mount come unstuck.

I personally think the view you get from this camera position is very good, although many people prefer mounting further back in the car so you can see the driver inputs etc. That not a problem for cars with cages, but somewhat more challenging where this isn’t the case. Fixing the the OE roll hoop,(as you’ve already mentioned) should work, but obviously you’d need something like a cage or handle bar camera mount. The only tip with positioning would be to hang it below rather than above the top of the hoop. My only slight concern with the OE hoop is whether it would vibrate at all. Also, of course, you would be able to take a passenger with you.

Here are a couple of vids showing the two different views.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming :+1:

Some ideas for you, all made with one of those cheapie gopro addon kits from eBay around £15 or so.

Should all be self-explanatory! I would also recommend a cable in case of something vibrating loose.

1 Like

The roll bar hoop is the one I’m aiming for I think. I’ve had it on the front screen and while it gets fair footage, it can be a bit boring without some frantic elbow out involvement :smile:

I’d expect a fair bit of vibration and/or movement with all of those fixing arrangements.

1 Like

No better or worse than when my camera was on a double-sucker mount. After all, if you can feel a vibration, then the camera will as well. I have a 3D anti Shake Rattle and Roll camera mount that cost over £100 and that gives images like you see on car mounted cameras on TV. The ones I experimented with give +/- on what you will see from a car safety camera mount.

Right… This is the first time I tried recording a driving video. My NC sounds awesome so I wanted to hear the exhaust noise and the bubbling of the engine in the video (basically what I hear while driving).

For my first attempt I borrowed a GoPro Hero 10 off a mate and I mount it on the wind breaker using a crocodile clip that came with the camera accessories. The result was poor, you cant hear much due to wind noise… Any ideas what I can do to reduce wind noise? I’m not that keen using a sucker on the windscreen (but maybe I have no other choice)

2 Likes

I think you should find an improvement either by connecting an external mic, or alternatively, adding the GoPro media mod.

When I’m doing track vids I tend to use an relatively old GoPro Session and have been known to put a bit of tape over the mic bit. But sound recording isn’t really a high priority for me.

This video is using the Session without tape on.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The GoPro 10 has more than one mic and while I’m waiting for mine to turn up I had a look online and saw that you can buy on amazon a bit of foam for a few quid that goes over the camera and helps reduce wind noise. If that fails I guess then its an external mic or the GoPro media mod as you suggest.

Sound and driving is spot on in your video mate. Love Donnington park, I did that a few times (but on a sports bike) and if I’m honest its my favourite track.

It was my co-owner driving, and he’s very good!

Here are some pics of my GoPro9 with Media Mod. I’ve only ever used it in enclosed cars so can’t say just how effective the sponge cover is.

263672644_3129809133921270_7791579040890458870_n|281x500

1 Like

Hmm, I’ve found over many years that the foam wind-shields are not brilliant in anything more than a faint breeze. They are best when used indoors as spit-gags, and can also reduce rumble from convection-air-currents generated by audiences and central heating.

I’ve not tried any wind-shields with my old Go_Pros because they usually live in their waterproof housings. Also if I want sound I record it separately with decent mics close to the source and not the camera, and if outside I use a “dead-cat” hairy wind-shield appropriate for the type of mic in use.

eg1. for my trusty old Olympus LS14 I use something a bit this one (or plug-in a clip-on personal mic also with “dead-cat”)

eg 2. and for my old professional stick mics an appropriate version of this lives in each kit (all bought many years ago)

Experiment, have fun, it’s amazing what one can achieve with some simple fixtures and lightweight fake fur!

I love how the video is stabilised with the horizon. Superb.

It’s time to upgrade my ski-cameras, but only if I can go skiing again.

May I suggest you try a separate mic out of the air stream? eg a simple plug-in lapel mic with a “dead-cat” m.u.f.f.

1 Like

Could you try attaching it to the rear view mirror??

Cheers, the sponge thingy I bought from amazon has arrived so I will give that a go next week. If that fails I will get the media pod. thanks

Yes the video does looks amazing if only the subject driving was as graceful as the car lol

Its a possibility… if I design and 3d print a custom mount that will allow me to position the camera in front of the rear view mirror. I will see what I can do.

I also have a suction cup that I can try mount on the windscreen and see what type of video comes out but I don’t particularly want to put anything on the windscreen that would reduce my field of view. On the other hand reading comments online people have said suction cups may come off so I’m a bit worried about that because I don’t really want to loose/damage the camera

1 Like

I used a suction cup on my Ducati 996 stuck on the side of the fairing.
It didn’t fall off despite forces and speeds unlikely to be seen from an MX5 :wink:

ducati’s are slow spanner rattlers anyway, it couldn’t possibly fall off that one :wink: