Hairdresser's car

I took my wife to her hairdresser this morning & when she had got out I dropped the roof & noticed 2 scruffy yoofs eying the car & me; obviously shoolboys on Easter holls.

I then received remarks relating to age (grey haired old git etc) & “hairdressers cars” .

my wife turned back & saved me just as I was getting into my stride (& out of the car) discussing aforementioned yoofs parentage with suggestions of their obviously abused childhood , the cretinous little shytes then slouched off.

My question is; Is it bad parenting, lack of school discipline or just certain horrible children who are put on this earth to piss me off?   I do normally like kids being a grandpa to 4 girls.

I drove home (2 miles away) via a very relaxing 15 mile detour 

No, not at all.  They are simply jealous.  And sour grapes is the only resource of the inadequate, unimaginative and inarticulate. 

After all, it would have been worse if they had simply ignored the car.

it could almost have been Oscar Wilde saying that Richard 

… except that he’s dead !

I’ve just turned 63. In my 20’s through early 30’s, I drove mostly Triumphs…

Herald, TR4, TR5, TR6, Dolomite Sprint.

A Porsche 911, Red, with whaletale in the 80’s.

Skid-row in the 90’s.

Cheap, old diesels in the 2000’s.

MX5’s were almost invisible cars to me, nothing stylistically that stood out,

If asked I would probably have said… “Girls Car…”.

Till one day, about 5 years ago, my village had a pageant, which included a number of locally owned

sports cars. One was an MX5 Mk1, owned by an acquaintance of my brother. Summer’s day, all hoods down

as I wandered up the line of cars. I paused to chat with the MX5 owner, and glanced into the interior of the car.

First thing I noticed was the handbrake on the passenger side of the gearbox tunnel, in the style of fly-off handbrakes

of old British sportscars, eg Healey 100.

Then I looked at the layout of everything else from the driver’s point of view.

“Oh, that’s really nice…”

The owner said “Take it up the road if you like”.

“Yes, please”.

6 miles of rural B road, curves and swooping hills later… I returned. Exhilarated.

Bought mine 4 weeks ago.

Those kids would think different if they had a go in one.

1 Like

Thankfully a lot of them are “finding” the MX-5.

The “hairdressers car” brigade usually have a masculinity hang-up, afraid of coming out of the closet perhaps 

no hair dyers are left in this vehicle over night!

Is it bad parenting, lack of school discipline or just certain horrible children who are put on this earth to piss me off?

In answer to the question, IMHO its the lack of parts one and two that creates the third.

Ask them what car they drive. Reply will probably be either ‘I don’t drive’ or ‘Saxo / Corsa’. Response to both is the same. ‘You obviously have no knowledge which could give your opinion any valid credence.’ As long as your reply has words of more than one syllable and contains no grunts they will have no idea what you are on about. Any questioning from them would only show their ignorance. They will therefore grunt and walk away. Note, walk away. You of course get to drive away with smug grin and just a little bit of extra loud pedal as you go.

Pedantic truculent old gits of the world unite. Our brains may have forgotten how to grow hair in any colour but grey but we have learnt so much more.

1 Like

I do wonder why ‘Pedantic truculent old gits’ think it worth responding to two scruffy schoolboys at all. 

We’ve all heard, and are all familiar with the stereotypical MX-5 abuse, and thankfully - as enthusiastic owners and drivers - all know better.  Surely your male egos aren’t so fragile that you can’t just completely ignore what are, after all, just puerile playground insults?  

It’s the tip of the iceberg regarding modern kids’ upbringing, lack of discipline & no respect for anyone or anything I’m afraid.

There is a whole generation of kids growing up with no idea about life’s rights, wrongs, norms, respect, discipline, values, etc etc. And “the System” hasn’t helped either, so no more “instant” discipline to instil values early on in life; now it’s “touch me & I’ll call the Police/Social Services/Lawyer” etc etc… and no, I DON’t advocate beating up your kids! Or abuse of any sort. But “6 of the best” at school, or an occasional smack on the bum at home, never turned any of us into raging monsters…

I feel (a bit) better now, time for a drive…

Ducking while awaiting incoming

Mods feel free to delete if it’s too "non-PC!

Bill

1 Like

I just turned 30 this year, and have no grey hair to match my car… ??

I do however completely understand where you are coming from, I feel I am the last generation to care about anyone else and very few kids of today will ever make it to be useful members of society.

Don’t know if I would have said anything… perhaps just exit sideways with a tyre squeal ??

I need this made up into a sticker for the back of my car, very funny

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-HAIRDRESSING-PRODUCTS-LEFT-IN-THIS-CAR-Vinyl-Car-Sticker-EURO-JDM-MX5-/201327838724?hash=item2ee0130604

When I had my mark one a few years back I had people taking the mick too especially as I’m quite a big lad myself.

I just said have a drive and dont brake around corners and tell me if you think its a girls car. They all came back loving it.