Have you only owned an MX-5 since Covid19 began?

I got my 2018 ND2 2L in July 2020, and I look at some of the pics others have posted here with a certain amount of envy. Seeing the pics of your MX-5’s parked up with others at events or local meetings got me thinking - How many here have bought their MX-5 since Covid19 started?
I can’t be the only one not to have had the pleasure in meeting up with other MX-5er’s…!!

6 Likes

I bought mine on 13th Feb 2020, just before lockdown.
I have never met any other MX-5er’s, but I have waived at a few. Some have even waived back.
So although I cannot be 100% sure, I’d say they look like normal people. All least those who waived back.

3 Likes

I’ve bought 2 since lockdown. Oops!. So yeah I’ve never met anyone but the odd enthusiastic nod and wave which always put a smile on my face!

1 Like

My current MX5 was bought new in October 2019 and immediately garaged to be brought out in Spring 2020 but lockdown ensued. Now my nearly 17 month old car has only 1080 miles on the clock.

1 Like

Bought my 2006 sport in October last year as a retirement present although I will probably carry on working for a short while. Working from home but use it as a ‘daily’ despite having a company car. So trips to the shops basically. Did 20 miles once when I got ‘lost’ on the way to Sainsbury. Wife loves it so we cant wait to get out when we can. So far I have fitted sound proofing in the boot, well worth it, had the wheel alignment done, fixed scuttle and boot leaks. Now we have had a first jabs we can plan a service and then get the underseal done.

1 Like

Hi Ceramic, Bought my recent Mk4 1.5 SE-L back in Aug 20., swapping for my RF. This is my sixth MX5: 3xMK3 Rag Tops, 1xRF 2xMK4 Rag Tops. No regrets, but the black RF used to get dirty a little to easily for me. Still a good car, but as you can see it’s rag tops for me. Enjoy your car!

1 Like

I got my gorgeous 2018 ND1 in Oct and have only done 500mls. The car is waiting for me in the garage and I live for the day when I can take it for a long drive.

1 Like

Yep…bought mine in June 2020 as an early 50th present. Decided it would be perfect to keep me busy during lockdown 1,2,3,4,5,6…

2 Likes

got mine in March, managed a couple of thousand miles so far, looking forward to doing a few club events (hopefully this year). nearly finished sorting through it, just got to visit the mx5 restorer next month

1 Like

Yep, first Five (NB) acquired in Dec 2020

1 Like

Yes, bought mine March 3rd, it was already hand sanitizer and face mask on the train to near Liverpool

1 Like

Bought my rf in August last year. Been looking at mx5s for years thinking I will have to one day get me one… lock down and the thought of life being far to short, made me say sod it and I bought one. Never drove one before or even sat in one so took the chance. Glad I did, won’t be without one now.

2 Likes

It was bad enough for me sinking 4k into my Mk1 resto 19 months back now all revved up and nowhere to go. At least it’s bottomed out in terms of values.
I’d not like at all to be 12/18 months into a PCP + depreciation though. That’s absolutely chronic in terms of zero “fun & use” factor R.O.I. Ruddy awful for 10’s of thousands.
Only pay-back is pretty much zero fuel bills and low-miles “talk it up” residuals.
Let’s all look forward to better days though. I’ll certainly give you all a toot & a quick pop-up “flash to pass”…which is something I never bothered with before.

2 Likes

We got ours in late September 2020. Only done around 3k so far, the first 1 k took less than a month.
My wife daily drives it when not in lockdown and between lockdowns we go out 30-40 miles in one direction and back again or around a little loop from Hailsham to Beachy Head and the villages in the area. I take it shopping if I can which includes a pub pie pickup on Saturday morning and will go to the occasional call as a plumber with lightweight kit on board.
I’ve not met many others, Chris from themx5restorer https://youtube.com/channel/UCffQUnLqyEDu-HvInOioeeQ
when he was in a car park, lots of waves though, as you said above, they seem like normal people :joy:

I noticed each wave brings a smile. It’s like we’ve been dropped into a friendly place just because of a car, I totally get it, the pleasure of ownership is brilliant. Once lockdown is over I’m looking forward to the pub meets and breakfast runs locally. Maybe eventually a proper big event.
Further on We’ll be taking longer trips, Scotland and other domestic stuff and eventually Poland and back via alpine roads I hope.

Problem is that once we’re all free again the roads will be full for months and country car parks will be full,as will the guesthouses you want to stay in wherever your road trip plan takes you.

4 Likes

jan 2020! Managed about 1000 miles

1 Like

I took voluntary redundancy in August 2020 after driving around in boring company diesel estates for 23 years and wanted something which wasn’t a boring diesel estate.
Yep, got it :grinning:

3 Likes

Got my 2018 RF in August and I am looking forward to the warmer weather to put some miles on the clock. I have found the Club helpful and look forward to meeting people face to face.

1 Like

Thanks macclad… I’ve always preferred the Soft Top, but am glad the RF is available to widen the appeal of this wonderful little roadster :slight_smile: May your enjoyment of your car long continue!

1 Like

And caravans will also be free again, but that’s another story…!

2 Likes

Look on the brightside. Its now probably worth more than you paid for it

2 Likes