Have you upgraded the infotainment system? (ND)

The total cost from USA was just short of 180. Just amended post, found I’d made an error, was looking in wrong place doh!!!

1 Like

After a false start got everything apart and new wiring in place. Had a struggle with the getting the old usb/sd box out but won in the end. When I finally got the old unit out and replaced the cables, Black, brown and the original white , tucked the original,now surplus,away, I’m still left with a white plug I didn’t remove from anywhere, have I inadvertently pull out from somewhere, can’t see a home for it.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve only just seen this. Hopefully you’ve got it working, but if not I hope this is helpful.

If it’s at the hub end the other connector should go to the “indicator unit” which is what Mazda call the panel above the hub with the seat heater buttons on it. After running the new cables you’ll have 5 at the hub end;

1 is surplus, tied back & wrapped in foam (mine was Green)
3 go to the new hub (Black, Brown, White)
1 goes to the “indicator unit” (mine was Black and White)

If it’s directly underneath the CMU it’s the hazard warning lights button connector.

If it’s at the CMU I’m stumped. There’s a lot going on back there but only 1 cable is surplus, tied and wrapped (again mine was green). Everything else should plug into the back of the CMU.

Thanks Dodger, that’s it, when I took it all apart that plug came out without me having to remove it caught me out. All up and running, but iffy connections on both phones, drop out a lot, might settle down.

Brilliant, glad I could help :smiley:

I found the hub is quite sensitive to the USB cable used, it only seems to work reliably with Apple MFI certified ones that are in excellent condition.

I first tried to use a short Verbatim MFI one that had been getting regular CarPlay use in my old car (Seat Leon). That also kept dropping out at first, or just not connecting at all.

I’ve since been using one of these almost daily and it seems to be holding up ok. It’s just long enough for the phone to sit in the cubby next to the hub without interfering with the gear stick or flapping about everywhere.

Short Charger Cable (2 Pack 0.2M) Fast Charging 7Inch Wire for Apple iPhone XR/X/8/8 Plus/7/7 Plus/6/6s/Plus/SE/5c/5s/5 iPad Air 2/Mini/Max Cord Charger Station https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KNLLWY5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aCF0EbY6DEWSN

SWMBO is using one of these in her Mazda 6 with the hub inside the centre console armrest, but I found it a little short in the 5.

AmazonBasics Double Braided Nylon USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable - Apple Mfi Certified, Red, 10 Centimeters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0753QQWZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SEF0EbCCY8TPR

Thanks again, ordered, and a couple of Android ones :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

Finally got around to applying the latest update.
As a software developer, I understand all too clearly what could happen if the update failed and could not be recovered; which makes me nervous about performing tasks like this.
However, my nerves were misplaced as the process was very straight forward. I’d encourage other ND owners to perform the update on their MX-5s (provided you feel comfortable to do so).
The update process is well documented in easy to follow steps.
The only thing you need to be aware of is to press the correct buttons on the infotainment system near the handbrake, as the images in the PDF show a different style of infotainment controls.
Take a moment to identify where the required buttons are in your MX5 and you’ll be fine.

As with everything like this, it’s best to follow the instructions laid out in the PDF and not to deviate or think you’ll try an alternative method.

Happy driving - let’s hope we have more “open road / top down” opportunities in 2021.

2 Likes

Just a heads up that the MX5 ND upgrade kits for Apple Carplay & Android Auto for Mazda Connect are now available from sellers on AliExpress for a total cost of c.£90 incl.UK VAT.
I took the gamble and ordered. A genuine kit arrived within 2 weeks and is now successfully installed in my MX5.
The sellers on AliExpress have all the info you need in their adverts, including links to a site with all the necessary software upgrades and the factory manual pages for the trim removal steps.
The sellers add UK VAT to the advertised price when you check out (that’s a genuine post brexit requirement) and ship via airmail.
There shouldn’t be any other costs to pay as UK customs duty is only payable on goods over £135.
It took a leap of faith to place the order, but everything went smoothly with the delivery, the software upgrade and the hardware install.

3 Likes

I got mine from aiexpress yesterday, did the firmware yesterday evening and the hardware today. Best tip is don’t plug your phone in until a mi Ute after you boot up the infotainment system on each journey otherwise CarPlay can be glitchy with the controls. Otherwise it’s solid gold. Total cost £80.

And, as a further update, the Carlinkit2 wireless Carplay adapters also work with my MX5. Got mine from AliExpress for about £60. There’s some talk of unreliability of these wireless adapters on other MX5 forums, but the latest firmware seems to have made a big improvement.
I’ve tucked the adapter out of the way “under” the tray in front of the gearlever and just run the short cable up and into the usb socket.
Its great because I like running Waze to warn me of hazards and speed cameras ahead. I just jump in the car, leave my phone in my pocket, set off driving and waze just appears on the infotainment display…
For longer journeys, where I need to keep my phone chrged, I just swap over to a wired connection but for just bobbing about town, the wireless kit works just great.

1 Like

Do you have a link to where you got yours from?
We’ve just bought a new CX-5 and although I’m sure I read somewhere that it had wireless CarPlay, it doesn’t - much to the wife’s disgust.
Even a £15k Kia has wireless, why not a £40k Mazda, especially as it’s standard in the US apparently.

I’m wary of these aftermarket kits after having read bad things about them, mainly relating to BMW’s admittedly, and it’s good to find someone that’s actually bought one and is using it without problems. If it works, this and a wireless charging pad would make life really easy for her.
Anything for a quiet life…

1 Like

This is where I got mine from. There are many stores selling the same product on AliExpress and I just chose the cheapest that I could find for the same product. It worked so well in my golf that I just gambled and ordered a second from the same store for the mazda. It came in less than a week…
There are a few forum posts suggesting mixed experiences, but mine has been OK in my golf and in the MX5 so far. The MX5 one did "drop out half way through a 2 hour journey the other day but then reconnected itself without me doing anything… Not sure if that was a one-off or if it may recur as its still early days for me.
It also uses your phone battery a lot as its running the phone’s GPS when you’re using Waze for navigation. For long journeys, I’ll swap to the wired connection, to keep the phone charged, but the wireless adapter is great for just jumping in around town, leaving my phone in my pocket and having Waze just appear on the head unit to warn me of hazards ahead…
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002519045009.html

Really helpful, thank you. I’ll order one and see how she gets on.
There were stories of bmw refusing warranty on their cars dur to aftermarket CarPlay/adapters being used which apparently interferes with their software, hence my reticence.

Hello there. I’m in the market for an early 2.0 ND RF from a franchise dealer, but only want one with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto as currently have something contemporary with it and will be trading back in time slightly. Is anything with the full nav set-up retro-fittable by the main dealer? I’m far too cowardly to hit it myself and I have a chain of personal installation disasters going back 20-odd years to support the notion I simply cannot be trusted! Thanks.

Yes, Mazda accessory Apple Car Play can be retro-fitted by a main dealer.

2 Likes

@JohnnyComeLately My sport nav convertible only had the standard Mazda entertainment system in it. I got them to add the Apple Car Play / Android Auto box to it as a retrofit.
Having read your question carefully, the only other thing I’d add is if you go for an older ND you might not get some of the sensors you’re used to. E.g. if you like the reassurance of having the speed limit indicator on the dash an older model might not have them.
Having driven other cars, there are a few features I miss on my MX-5 because I’m so used to having them available.
Good luck choosing your new RF, and remember we need to see the pictures when you’ve got it!

1 Like

Cheers for this. That’s what I wanted to hear! Ta.

Cheers for this - it’s this sort of thing that I would otherwise be blissfully unaware of! I imagine it will be 2017/2018 vintage but before the 184PS upgrade. This isn’t a roadsign recognition thing you’re talking about (am I right in thinking this isn’t available on UK NDs full stop?), just the speed limit you would set for yourself - do you still get the speed limit functionality, but there’s no display?

It may be a while before I get it. I have flitted about with the idea of getting an NC a year or so back as I’ve been eyeing them up for a while, but it suddenly started looking a bit old, especially if I was going to be living with it for another 4 or 5 years. I really like it still, but I just had to have an eye on the longer term. Comparatively speaking, the ND seems a bit more awkward visually (especially as an RF), but I certainly like it and it looks easier to live with and it fits in the garage with a bit more margin!

I just need to make sure I buy at a price I’m happy with and it will be a cash purchase so there will be no dressing it up, and that I get a good one I’m coming from something contemporary but with no more tech I’m bothered with once I get CarPlay sorted on it, so it will be just be a case of living with an atmospheric engine for the first time in 20 years! I would love to get a 184 but I can’t justify it given my mileage is less than a quarter of what it was before Covid hence I can get it with the knowledge I’m likely to keep it for 4/5 years. Went off on a bit of a tangent there… But they are popping up with some peachy numbers at the moment Used Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav 2dr Convertible | Harpenden, Westcroft & Grays | Brayleys Cars.

Version 1 of the ND is pretty limited on the bells and whistles Mazda added to the car when you compare it to the current version of the ND. There have been several significant updates to the ND since its launch in late 2015. The updates included more engine power, probably to address the number of people who were adding mods - e.g. BBR racing. They’ve also added various electronic features like speed limit recognition which some may also consider a welcome addition to their 5. There are a ton of articles online which describe the new features or updates of each model year. On my MX-5 blog I only showcase the limited editions. Maybe I missed a trick and should have covered this too.
This is the perfect time of year to buy as the value of a 5 rises and falls depending on the weather. Nobody told me this until I’d bought my 5 in the midst of a heatwave [sigh].
Good luck with finding your new 5.

1 Like

Oh and just for fun - my blog is here: https://www.mx5blog.co.uk/

1 Like