Heaven forbid - If there was no MX-5!, what would you drive...?

That looks a really nice car - especially like the wheels - ■■■■■■ to clean I imagine.

If not a TVR wedge (420SEAC ideally!), then definitely one of these. I had one for a test drive in about 2000 and it was fantastic, but as it was going to be a daily driver, I ended up with a Boxster S instead.

I’ve given serious thought to this question before. And wouldn’t mind giving one of these a go.

Still a few out there for not much money.
Whatever it was, it would need to be a convertable…isn’t that the point?

2 Likes

These do seem to have an advantage over the Elise (built in the same factory and based on the same chassis) - better engines (for comparable years) and I believe the entry/exit into/out of the car is easier. The Elise was a pain - literally. They are also a bit cheaper…

3 Likes

But hey…thank god for Mazda eh?

1 Like

There is a turbo version which is pretty quick apparently.

The Wheels are a pig to keep clean, but so worth it. I have the original Estorils too that came with the purchase.
I started off with a 350i Wedge back in 95 & virtually rebuilt it, new 3.9 Big Valve engine, respray & lots more. Loved every minute! Traded it in for the Griff.
The TVR community is fantastic, just like on here. The griff is not a Daily though, I have a NC 25Y Ann car as a daily & a Type R FK8.
Beware if you do buy a TVR they are addictive, you cant help trying to improve them.
Mine is completely original & thats the way its staying but I still want to spend money on it!!

Didn’t they nickname the TVR ‘the widowmaker’?

Possibly - a surfeit of power, light weight and no driver aids. The Porsche 911 GT2 (996 generation) was also called this…

So was the Shelby Cobra I believe.

This is my laptop wallpaper at the moment…! :slight_smile: 67 Shelby 427 Cobra!
The nearest I’ll get to one :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I would also do the same…lovely car. I was luck enough to have a drive, a ‘good’ drive😉, in a coupe…so I can only imagine the convertible to be awesome. The noise they make and the way they handle is amazing…and, they don’t feel like a ‘big’ car.

On the topic of lightweight sports cars, I have recently booked a drive in an Ariel Atom (a Christmas present from my stepdaughter and stepdaughter-in-law).

Has anyone driven one before, and are they as fun as they look?

While we are on Cobra’s. I feel lucky to be in my 30’s and insured on dad’s Dax 427! Only done 250 miles and I think I’ve done most of them!
Do you like my plate present for his 80th? I thought it was a nice find.

3 Likes

Found a better photo. Shows it in it’s true beauty!

10 Likes

A beautiful car, and a very clever numberplate too! :+1:

1 Like

I drive an atom now and then. It will make your MX5 feel fat, soft, slow, inadequate. The best track car I have ever driven by a mile and I have driven most everything.
I have my ARDS licence and scared the instructor to death a few years ago by not telling him :rofl:. I got a job as an instructor off the back of it tho.

1 Like

Awsome car.

1 Like

I spent 6 months considering my future purchase, back in 2019.
The other cars on my shopping list were:

And

They were eventually cast aside when I drove the only MX-5 I ever drove. But I would buy both of them to go with my MK3 if money was no object.

2 Likes

Yes I think they did. With no Driver aids at all its down to you & your Right foot. I just call it old school & that what I love about it.

1 Like

Nice looking even if they are a big lump. What’s the running gear in the Dax?