Heaven forbid - If there was no MX-5!, what would you drive...?

Morgans don’t drive like anything else on the road, well nothing I’ve tried anyway. Thats their charm, or challenge. I liken driving mine to trying to control an angry wasp! But it’s very addictive.

Money no object this would be my choice! Not just buying but garage bills too :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :+1:
TVR

3 Likes

As I’ve owned an Alpine and I use to work restoring Sunbeam Tigers for 3 years, I would fancy a Tiger, but as I have given up with classic cars I think the S2000 would be a good sub for an MX5. If not I’ll just stick with my Landy, not a convertible though. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hopefully that’s a fixable issue, I know a lot of them have a rattle from the roof and you need to keep adjusting the clips.

F20 engine will get 240hp with a few mods, I just see the Honda F series and K series 2.0 are vastly superior to the MZR 2.0, seems like Mazda short changed the NC in that regards.

I would still buy one though, I know a lot of NC owners say there’s vibrations and certain things are the culprit, maybe it’s the same for the S2000. Other option is the GT86!

The roof is off my Landy at the moment and when I rebuild I will think about a hood for the summer.

1 Like

I hope it’s not too cold at the moment :grin:

Don’t worry. It’s only off to see whether I need to replace the chassis or do some repairs that may stretch the life another few years.

1 Like

This was my old car - bought it new in 2013, but sold it in 2018. Hideously expensive to keep, but a great car - however not as involving as the MX5 as it is too good.

Bought an NA and now sold that and am swapping my Golf Gti for an ND so I can have one car. If I could not have an ND or any other MX5, I would look for a TVR wedge. Had an Elise - could not really get in it easily!Porsche

Ive often thought that about modern, technologically-advanced cars - that they might take away some of the raw pleasure of driving.

1 Like

:thinking: probably a newish Fiat Spider or an Audi TT soft top, or if money was no object, probably a Morgan or Jag F-type

Just a reminder, no ND, no “newish” Fiat Spider! Same basic car! Sorry!

That blows that idea then, preferred the Jag anyway

2 Likes

As far as a new car is concerned, there really is no viable alternative if you want a convertible - unless you spend a lot more (hatchbacks turned into a convertible, like the Mini are not really comparable).

As far as older cars are concerned, there is a huge number. However the mechanicals of the MX5 are very robust, which cannot always be said of many cars that we could choose. However most cars will rot and the MX5 is well catered for these days, far better than many competitors. If you need to do a full rust repair job on an MX5, you can do it for a couple of thousand. If you take virtually any competitor, this amount will not go far…

I fancy a Wedge TVR, but they all have big issues and none are really cheap to fix…

I would still be driving my Triumph Spitfire. The one I sold after 14 years to buy my MX5

2 Likes

Right now I keep looking at the new GR Yaris so I feel I have to retract my previous post and say that instead!

With a rear seat delete straight away to remove any people carrying capabilities :joy:

2 Likes

Saw one of these about a week ago in a dark red metallic… Looked good and handy with 4wd :slight_smile:

I would revert to my test list before I bought the MX5.
Jaguar XKR
Aston DB7
Lotus Elise
Boxter S

Funny having test driven all of them I killed a spare two hours at the Mazda garage and bought the MX5 and 8 years later still happy with my decision.
If there was no MX5 it would have been the XKR. Strange car that is big but shrinks around you and feels fun.

1 Like

I haven’t seen one in the wild yet and almost all videos are of white/black ones, not sure what colour I would actually go for though

Boring really, but it would be a mere V6 F-type convertible, nothing too flash.
I always wanted an E-type, the F-type would be a step up to today.

We had a new Griff 500 back in 98, sold it after a couple of years but always regretted it.
So last year after a 20 year gap we bought another one. 97 Vintage with 30k miles & 2 owners.
Whats the point in having money sat in the bank earning nothing when you can have something like this!
Pricewise they are only going up in value if kept in good nick so just look at it as an investment!!

8 Likes