Hello! Proud new owner of a NC

Hello! Proud new owner of a NC MK3.5 Kuro special edition, and a new member of the club.
My name is Chris and I’m 51 and live in a village just south of Stoke on Trent.
I’ve got a wife and 2 kids and 2 dogs and a cat, and I love motorsport especially MotoGP and Rallying.
Other hobbies are supporting Stoke City, playing guitar in an alternative metal band and sim racing.
I’m part of a few sim racing groups that play GT7, ACC and EAWRC.
For the past 4 years we’ve done online leagues, and at Christmas done charity events and raised thousands of pounds for charities here and in the Netherlands.
I Always had bikes when I was younger and did loads of tracks days and tours abroad watching Foggy and Hodgy and people when World Superbikes was in its heyday.
Bikes went when I had kids, and now rather than be a born again biker I decided to get a sporty little car. I got away with a LOT on my bikes and I think i’m safer in a low powered sports car.
My wife wasn’t keen at first but when she came along for a test drive she loved it, and will be able to come along to the many adventures I have planned.
I purposely wanted an NC as I’m 6’4” and couldn’t fit in any other. My dream would be a bog standard blue NA but that might never happen.
I picked a 1.8 as in my mind I’m buying a sports car, not a performance car. The bonus of the one I’ve bought is that it’s got a few extras like aircon and heated seats. It’s going to be a dry weekend only toy but they are welcome additions nonetheless.

Big 17” alloys I’m not sure about. I was quite happy with the idea of 15” and skinny tyres, but they do look quite nice. I’m considering getting some bronze alloys or getting them powder coated, but part of me wants to keep it original as possible.
What I definitely do want to do is get some mudflaps on it, get some decent mats, and sort out a good phone cradle and get Bluetooth or maybe a new head unit, if anyone’s got any good recommendations let me know!
I plan on being an active member on here and in real life once the weather warms up, so if you see me about please say hello.

9 Likes

That’s a decent introduction, sweet looking NC also

Welcome and enjoy mate :+1:

1 Like

Welcome Chris, nice looking NC. The 1.8 should do you nicely. Have fun.

1 Like

Having come off powered two wheels, I still needed the thrill of it.
Top down in an MX, still gives me that ……Although the knee pads aren’t needed, the awareness of other road users are still acute from biking days.
Enjoy your 4 wheels👍🏻

1 Like

Welcome. Very nice clean car you found there :+1:.

1 Like

Lots of peeps on here with the same sort of history. I’ve bought one recently despite having a lovely TT Coupe. Both under 4K and great fun per £ IMHO!

1 Like

Thank you, I hope so. Just waiting for the garage I got it off to sort a few niggles.
I think it’s tidy underneath. From crawling round and feeling sills I’m hopeful it’s not got the dreaded tin worm they’re reknowned for.
I can certainly see 2 new rear drop links and control arms. Done just over 70k, only minor concern is a 4 year gap in the service history :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Mines 46k and an eight year gap! As someone said; if I had a choice between rust and no service history I’d choose the latter. Good luck to us👍

1 Like

Welcome and enjoy your new toy !
Great cars, great club with many very helpful and knowledgeable people on the forum

1 Like

70k? it’s common for the thermostat to fail around then. Check your coolant temperature. The car should warm up in 5 minutes of driving and the needle sit at half way; 80-90 degrees .
Slightly fiddly job to replace but plenty of info on here . Also check the dreaded scuttle grommets.

and yes, enjoy!

1 Like

It’s got Michelins on (all round?) which is a good start.
Most DIY serviced cars will probably have had evidence of servicing (receipts/dates) that could be lost or taken away by the dealer or last owner before selling.
If I don’t know the service history of a car I buy, sometimes even if I do I still give it an oil change include gear box and diff too just for peace of mind.

2 Likes

Looks like you’ve made the right choice. The car looks like it’s been looked after and sounds like you will be doing the same. I came away from a race car only track car when my little boy came along. Although I still miss them track days the MX5 keeps me sane in the summer months.

Although the wife has just found out that I have bought another MX5😱, which once I’ve managed to rebuild may get me to an odd MX5 track meet. Obviously that’s if she doesn’t kill me before I get to that stage🤞.
Enjoy the car, you will love it in summer. Just watch out for upgrade’itus it’s a condition that hits so many of us :shushing_face::rofl:

1 Like

Hi Junker_Denb
Enjoy ! :sunglasses: :smile: :+1:

1 Like

Good advice, thank you. Membership is paying off already!
The passenger heated seat doesn’t work and an ABS sensor is being replaced, so once I get it back I will have a look.
Also they only told me it only had one key as I was walking to the car to drive home which was kind of annoying, but I’ve seen a few posts on here about replacements so I might end up sorting that out myself.

Yes it has got Michelins all round. It was one of the reasons that made me buy it as a lot of owners would just chuck cheap tyres on it. Made me think it was someone who was looking after it.
Once the weather perks up I’ll do an oil and filter. Never attempted a diff and gearbox oil change but part of why I bought it is to learn a few more skills so I might have a go.

1 Like

Make sure you keep the engine oil topped up and maybe change gear and diff oil. Both fairly simple jobs

1 Like

It should have had a coolant change by now. I’d be inclined to do the serpentine/FEAD belt, too.

1 Like

I feel your pain … :soccer:

Hi Chris,

Great and lovely looking NC. I’ve had my black 3.5 for three years and I love it. Curiously it’s the only car of mine my wife has ever liked driving. In fact today while driving to see her folks in the peaks she told me it was her car now……. so watch out!

Looks lovely! Congratulations and welcome!

1 Like