Help me modify my NC

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2012 NC2 2.0 Venture Sport Manual
  2. I’m based near: Kent
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Modifications

Hi guys

I thought this would be a fun idea for a thread.

First some background

I’ve had my MX5 for around four months now, and I have already done some work on it (listed below).
I use the car daily for a cross country commute from North West Kent, into Croydon. 75% of my commute is fast country roads, 25% is drudgery through Croydon traffic.

I intend to keep my MX5 long term, eventually turning into a track day and weekend car.

I’ve previously had many high performance cars including several 911’s a Focus RS MT385, a couple of S4’s (one tuned to 420bhp) and various other hot hatches.

My MX5 currently has 72k miles on the clock, and is in generally good condition. A bit of surface rust underneath, and a few blemishes to the paint work, but nothing major.
Since picking it up last year I have done the following:

New set of MisterR Z CRD coil-overs
Full service
Standard wheel alignment
4x new Yohoharma tyres
New front Pads, Rotors and Callipers
New ARB bushes (rear)
Cobalt short shift kit, with 2" extension and weighted metal shift knob
LED headlight bulbs
Chrome delete to front grill and fog light surrounds.
New rear drop links
Front lip “spats”

I am yet to do, but will be doing soon:

Gearbox oil change
Diff oil change
New front drop links
Brake calliper clean & paint (black)

In march, I will have some spare cash (around £3k) to spend on the MX5 to make it generally nicer and even more fun/ engaging.

Below is a list of potential modifications/ improvements I am considering next.
Your task is to choose which mods you would make (or suggest others) up to a total of £3k.

It will be interesting to see the different opinions and options you come up with.
Happy shopping :slight_smile:

|BBR Super 180| £1,300 |
|BBR Super 200| £2,650 |
|Anti-Roll Bars| £250 |
|Wheel refurb| £300 |
|New Wheels| £700 |
|New exhaust Tips| £100 |
|Axle back exhaust| £350 |
|Cat back exhaust| £500 |
|Induction Kit | £200 |
|Fast road alignment| £250 |
|Steering Wheel Spacer| £230 |
|Alcantara Steering Wheel| £180 |
|Black roof wrap| £300 |
|Side skirts| £100 |
|Rear diffuser| £150 |

Pic is of pre chrome delete to front.

1 Like

Try looking at this Thread

Looking through your list, I see you list a ‘fast road’ alignment. Was a re-alignment not done following your coilover fitment? If not, I’d highly recommend that’s done first, and as a priority. To make sure a modification you’ve already done is working as well as it can :+1:

With the BBR options, other routes are possible, as Richard eludes to in his reply. Also note that the BBR prices would be plus fitting. And I’m pretty sure their 200 package is nearer £2k than the price you have listed.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi

Yes, the alignment was done after I fitted the coilovers, thought I had mentioned that?
The BBR prices I’ve listed include fitment and VAT and are direct from their website.

Cheers

Antony

You said a ‘standard wheel alignment’ in your initial list. Just trying to work out what you mean - as a ‘fast road’ alignment is really just an alignment with some custom settings dialled in, rather than the manufacturer recommended settings for standard suspension.

Just means you’ll have ended up paying for alignment twice - but yes, I’d still recommend you get a proper alignment done from your ‘to-do’ list first :+1:

You also need to double-check on BBR pricing, to understand what the fully fitted price including VAT is. Give them a ring.

My suggestion would be to fit the later front bumper and the genuine Mazda front lip and side skirts.

A twin centre exit exhaust, as seen on the Yusho, would be nice too.

Nice looking car :+1:.

As someone that was born and raised in Croydon and now lives in Kent you have my deepest sympathy having to commute there - but at least you get to leave at the end of each day :grin:

You sound like you’re in the same boat I was, bought a car with plans for specific modifications in mind.

Thanks Andy for engaging with the spirit of the thread!

Yes a MK3.75 front bumper is also on my wish list.

I’ll check out the centre exit exhaust, thanks. I didn’t know that was an option. I suppose the rear valance/ diffuser must be altered in some way?

Thanks Dean

Where abouts in Kent are you?

Your car is a bit of “inspo” for me.

Cheers. I always knew if I did eventually get one I’d have to tinker to make it my own. I’m on Sheppey (yes that one) but love it compared to Thornton Heath :+1:.

Yes, there’re some aftermarket options Bastuck, AutoExe etc. This was the supercharged concept.

1 Like

That looks epic :heart_eyes:

You could also continue your no-chrome zone front end with the black headlight inners found on some of the late models.

1 Like

An essential mod I did on my previous NC, and very quickly transferred to my latest car was a small plastic tube for keeping your vaping device in. Essential for all vapers.

Lovely looking NC… exactly the same as my previous MX5 too!

I jumped into photoshop and gave it a few tweaks just out of curiosity… wrapped black roof, mirrors, blacked out headlights and fog lamp rings… :slight_smile:

Something a lil different I suppose haha

5 Likes

bbr super 200 changes the whole feel of the car

i got flashed today going through thornton heath A23 and 20 mph just a cash grab for croydon council

They’ve probably rigged all the cameras down by 5mph as they’re skint!

1 Like

Amazing. When I first looked at this I though “wow that’s a nice looking NC” the realised it was mine. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have seen that if you’re going for a roof wrap your best bet is to get black paint protection film fitted instead of vinyl as it is completely flat like high quality paint. Ordinary vinyl will have that orange peel vinyl look.

1 Like

Hi,

Looks very nice in white. I have a black 2010 Sport Tech and had the BBR 200 conversion with full GT exhaust carried out just over two years ago. No problems with it and it really is good for what it is. Then took it to Rodders for his brake pads, Mesiter CRD and full alignmnet. He lowered by about 25 mm and no issues over speed bumps and it’s a blast in the Peaks! On and Khumo Ecstatics P71s fitted. Dodders also serviced it and did the gearbox oil change. Have fun with it all.

Nick