Hoping to buy my first car (likely an NC) by end of year!

Hi!

I have driven my parents’ car for a year but am looking into buying my first car. I was considering a Honda Civic Mk8, Clio 182 or Suzuki Swift Sport but am now pretty sold on an MX-5 (atm the NC2 seems like the right option for me but am open to changing that). I’m hoping to get a ride in some soon to help solidify the decision.

I plan to use it as a daily driver for a few years at least, and potentially upgrade it for use as a track/drift car down the line.

Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to post in the “Buying a ‘5 and Insurance advice” forum? I really want to hear more opinions on the best NC model I could get in good quality at different price points; I would love to only spend £5K (and then spend £1K on rust prevention and initial alignment etc.) but it seems that may creep up to £8-10K for the best options?

Thanks, and nice to be here!

:grin:

Better to spend a bit more and get a later lower mileage NC2 . The older the NC the more extensive the rust problem and it can be soul destroying, I know I’ve been there.

1 Like

I would check out insurance costs on your ‘selection’ as this may be a larger cost than first anticipated there for may have an influence on your choice.
:heart:

1 Like

How much do you think that will set me back if I buy after summer?

I was quoted at ~£600.

I need to look at some quotes for me, been driving a while but im still under 25. Hoping the club insurance can do something for me. Can you get quoted without being a paid member yet I wonder.

1 Like

I think you should get a reasonable NC2 2011/12 for about £8 or £9k would say. But I would still get an AA inspection done before you buy. MXs are usually great mechanically but rust is the biggest issue.

1 Like

If that’s reasonable, how much is a good one?

Does this one attract you?..

2 Likes

I like that one yeah, though probably not looking to buy imminently unfortunately! How much is that and what specs, rust condition etc?

It’s in the for sale section, everything there about it. Fully protected underneath with Dinitrol, all cavities treated. TBH I treat it like a show car, it’s been to a few in my ownership.

1 Like

Stunning car but unfortunately out of my price range!

Could you please help me with understanding a rough guide to what I’ll be getting at intervals between £5-12K (for an MX5 NC2/3)?

E.g.
5-7K: NC2 with rust & >60K mileage;
7-9K: NC2 with low mileage & rust…

I hope to buy around October time and have heard that prices come down slightly in the winter.

You’ll find something. I did in september so not that long ago, on first viewing I dismissed it but after looking at a few others I went back and so far it’s been a gem. Just persevere, look at as many as you can to get a feel for what’s a good one and what isn’t and I’m sure you’ll find something good :+1:

1 Like

Your assumptions are more or less around those prices. Early cosseted cars NC1 can fetch up to £5k with low mileage probably a tad more. Look at NC2’s and anything from £6k to £14k, the top price more likely for a lower mileage last of run out (Mk3.75) of a special edition like the 25th Anniversary. A couple of years ago I saw them at over £17k.

Check out Autotrader for prices although they won’t tell a true price for very low mileage well looked after OC members car if a private sale, they suggest a price to sell at and the seller adjusts. Guessing mines not even listed on their list of models when selling or looking to buy, you have to trawl through the Sport Tech models, it’s got that spec.

Meanwhile, a guide…

1 Like

For reference i just got myself a very low milage well looked after NC2 for 9k, so they are out there.

Personally i would suggest going and looking at as many local ones as possible even though your not looking at buying immediately, it helped me just getting to know the issues to look out for and what each price point will get you.

Dont be afraid to ask to have a look underneath on too its usually a good sign if the seller doesnt get twitchy when you ask! :joy:

Good luck on your search!

2 Likes

Just to add, look underneath before looking at anything else. It could be nice and shiny above, it’s what lies beneath. Main areas, the lower rear wheel arch and that point under the car at the sill. The lower section of the wheel arch is masked by the wheel arch liner so difficult to see, they rust under there.

I took pictures of mine last year, liners removed, refreshed the Dinitrol coating that had been done previously.

2 Likes

I’m 24, and my insurance cost me £480 for my car.
I plan to sort classic insurance out etc. when I hit 25, but from my experience, insurance should be round that ballpark.

My car is a '90 NA so I don’t see much reason as to why an NC is much more than that. Unless you’re buying one that’s been heavily modified?

Insurance costs of course take into account how many years you have been driving (for me, 7 years) and also how much no claims you have (2 years for me).

I wouldn’t write off the possibility of having a parent as a named driver to help bring costs down. My mum is a named driver on my car, but she’s already said “No way” to driving it!

~ Mike

1 Like

Nosty,
What ever you do, as the new owner of a new Suzuki Hybrid Sport, I can sleep easy with it’s 7 year warranty. However, out of warranty you’d be best comparing spares etc with a Merc or summat, which is why Insurance companies dont like them a lot and hike the premiums. You could fully change over all 4 Mx5 callipers for just one rear Suzzy, and they arfe a problematical in Sport spec as 5’s depending on how used. Cannot speak for your other potential choices, and suffice to say our new Suzzy Sport is the best engineered , and the quickest, SALOON 4 door Ive ever bought. Or at least go OCD with ones you inspect…condition and history is all. And if…you do pick a Swift asa keeper, get it properly sealed underneath…the subframes and wishbones included. Avoid older Suzzy 1300cc’s…gearboxes and a few other bits have a poor rep.
Swift 1400cc Turbos like mine do apparently make great track cars though. Plenty 'Ring vids of them doing silly times!

1 Like

dunno how you haven’t sold that yet I think your trying to hard lol
its a nice car If i was looking for one I would be interested in it
the only thing that would put me off is the hard top look great when down but don’t like the look when up but thats just a personal thing
If I get asked if any for sale i will send them your way but i will advise them to get rid of the seats because they will give them a bad back but my backs already bad so would take them off their hands :crazy_face:

Ha Ha! thought you were serious then about the seats😁
I’ve seen a few MX-5’s zooming around since I put it up for sale, made my mind up now though, it goes.
I thought exactly the same about the top on the PRHT, preferred the soft top model and looked good with a matching HT on.
They grew on me and if I bought again would definitely opt for the PRHT, that isn’t in the plans though.:sleepy: