How much (garage) space do you have

Sloping drive, so I have to use the garage. This chaos is as good as it gets.

Mine was as bad if not worse before lockdown :face_with_peeking_eye::hushed:

2 Likes

This should be continued here…

That doesn’t really show me how much space you have for working on a car.

No matter how much you think you have, it’s never enough.

It’s 12’ x 22’ if that helps :man_facepalming:t2:

I want to see more 8’ setups.

Or, if anyone knows how to jack a car on a sloping drive without being killed.

Like this Range Rover owner

No room in the garage, but if it were in there, probably about the same space as your garages (facing in) right side on both sides, but only half the room at the front.

In my case, half the driveway is sloped, the other relatively flat - but, it’s one of these with a gravel channel down the middle for most of it, and jacks can shift enough to dislodge the car mid-process (I’ve had this happen once) even when on the solid non-gravel section.

I was in a deliberate position of safety, but it still wasn’t a pleasant experience (it was only just a few mm off the ground at this point), this is why I tend to do all my work with the car on the ground - just done the diff and engine oil, and already loosened off the gearbox plug in readiness.

I have a significant slope

If only :upside_down_face:

Very fortunate to have lots of room for now, one of the reasons we jumped on this house, alas, has to come down for an extension only to be built back up again. I’d never complain.

And a sloping drive but not too steep

1 Like

Impressive how you get the car through the french windows :clap:

2 Likes

That is the after picture, extension was built around it…

(A bit like building a boat in a basement.)

2 Likes

I had to turn it on its side. Luckily it’s only small.

1 Like

I took have a sloping drive… It gives me hot sweats parking it in the garage!

Space at the front as modelled by my father.

How do you manage to jack and stand yours? It looks so tight!

Walk sideways. One corner at a time. Its very crampt. Luckily for this job, its just one caliper (replace torn sliding pin boot), when I get the part. I need to get the car in at an angle to give me enough room to sit.

Apparently the previous house owner built a car in this space.

1 Like

An Austin 7?

My Brother in law has a similar size garage, but with a pitched tile roof, built in the heyday of the Austin 7, and yet somehow manages to shelter his Ford Model A Victoria in it.

And after seeing some of those immaculate, tidy pictures, almost as if nothing ever happened in them, I would not dare show my busy shambles.

I built my garage to take two cars widthwise with assorted utilities at the far end; but both long walls are now covered with shelves, cupboards, machines, workbench, so it is still tight for only one! A big clear-out is required, one of these days… Real Soon Now…