"I Hate Cyclists"

I have recently re-joined the club, reading through some (many) of the posts on various topics I came across this comment. I was saddened and dismayed by it, to the point I am not sure I want to remain a member.

I AM A CYCLIST, you don’t know me, so why do you hate me, is it because:

I am 63 years old?
I am the father to 3 young adults?
I am a grandfather to 6 adorable kiddies?
I am divorced after 38 years of marriage?

Or is it because:
I wore the uniform of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces for 40 years?
I was awarded 6 Medals?
I helped carry the body of a dead comrade and watched his blood drip onto my boots?
I have broken so many bones during my service it was easier to tell medics which ones I haven’t?

Or is it because:
I represented the United Kingdom as an Age Group Qualifier at a World Championship Sporting Event?

Or because:
I used to commute 30 miles a day to work on a bicycle?
I have been forced off the road by “punishment” passes, been verbally abused and threatened with physical violence, frequently told I was “in the way” despite travelling twice the distance they have in their car, to do the same as them, get to work.

I suffered, like many in a similar position, with severe depression after my marriage broke up. As someone who had been through the same experience said to me, “I wanted to go to bed and never wake up” I realised I needed to do something when I was sawing a piece of wood and had to fight the urge to run the blade across my own arm. My GP offered me “happy” pills, I took one and threw the rest away, I knew that would not help me beat the black cloud. I got back on my bike, got my running shoes back out (“retired” after my second hip replacement) and by running and cycling I beat the blackness back into the box. It pokes out sometimes, but a run or a cycle usually stops it, that and a stupid Irish Setter called Raff who is always there wanting to play or walk. The last thing I need when I’m on the bike, trying to find a way through the darkness, is some driver giving me abuse/aggression.

Even cyclists deserve a life.

Now you know me, do you still hate me?

10 Likes

Only if:

You feel you have a license to ignore traffic laws such as stopping at red lights.

You insist on always cycling on the road rather than the cycle track provided at great expense.

You grind up long hills on busy roads at 5 mph with a 30 vehicle long queue behind you.

You refuse to sound or even have a bell to warn of your approach from behind on cycle/pedestrian tracks, while failing to slacken speed.
Fail to recognise that bicycles are a dangerous mix with both pedestrians and motor vehicles

I too ride bicycles BTW.

9 Likes

@Tizme not sure I am completely understanding your post. Are you saying that you found a comment or thread about hating cyclists on this forum, and you think this sentiment applies to all members here?

If so, it doesn’t, and if you choose to leave because you think everyone on here hates you because you have a bicycle; then you are quite simply wrong.

I hate inconsiderate and ignorant/arrogant road users that put themselves in danger as well as causing unnecessary inconvenience and frustration to others. They may be cyclists, lorries, school run mums, whatever… I do turn the other cheek, I do accept I have no idea what is going on between their ears, I am very aware that all accidents are avoidable and things like “punishment passes” are nothing short of reckless endangerment and should be prosecuted as such.

Unfortunately many other drivers may have less restraint and understanding than me. Perhaps because I have experience of driving everything from bicycles to “abnormal loads” HGVs on millions of miles all around the world; and nearly died in a SMIDSY motorbike accident about seven years ago.

Life is too short to hate. And your life sounds full of experience of joy and pain and one well lived. Don’t let the ignorance of others disturb you. Let it go and hope they will learn in time.

Also don’t tar everyone with the same brush. On this forum, like any Internet forum, or indeed any group of people, club or pub, you will fine all spectrum of people. Some kind, some plain nasty. Some understanding and some ignorant. We are all ignorant until we have learning, and we need people with experience like yourself to add to that learning.

13 Likes

Well said McTrucky.

I also tried cycling, bought a good bike, but used it 3 times and now it gathers dust in the garage.

Out of safety for myself I decided that unless I was to stick to cycle lanes, which are not really fit for purpose, due to the difficulty/unwillingness to adapt existing roads, that it was not practical to ride on most roads as I was not willing to accept the consequences.

Also many motorists are considerate, but it only takes one, who is either not concentrating on the road, is trying to get somewhere and is running late, or just plain inconsiderate and there could be a collision or just “road rage”, which causes all the positives of a ride to disappear, or even your life.

Whilst I think many things in life are unfair and people are not always kind and considerate, I believe that it is up to each person to weigh up their actions and if they are aware of potential consequences, then make a decision if they are willing to suffer them by pursuing that action.

Therefore, be aware that using the roads as a cyclist is potentially dangerous, so either accept it, or do not do it. I know this is not fair, but I do not see it changing, so it is pointless making an issue unless it will effect a change.

Anyway, this is a forum about MX5’s, so I agree that the original post is probably better being posted elsewhere. If we keep the posts “relevant” and I know there are many alternative threads, but they are not likely to cause division (unless you start arguing about which 1970’s prog rock band is best!!), then the negative side of people is more likely to be kept away and we can all use the forum for positive.

Finished now…

5 Likes

Apologies if my post sounded like I was accusing all members of thinking that, it was not my intention. I wanted to highlight that, as you say, there are ignorant/arrogant road users in all shapes and forms, one group of road user should not be the subject of hate for any reason.

Your final paragraph expressed in a
far better way the point I was trying to make!

3 Likes

It is sad to say that there is little tolerance between the different groups of road users out there today.
If you ride or drive a little bit of road manners goes a long way, give a wave of thanks if someone gives way to you, in the same vane give way to someone either trying to turn or cross. It doesn’t cost a lot to be patient when trying to get around a cyclist and giving them space and as for cyclists you could give a wave of thanks when someone does it, like horse riders, also it doesn’t cost a lot to purchase a bell or say excuse me to worn people when your sharing pathways with pedestrians. And wether you are on two wheels or four it doesn’t mean you have right of way over people who are out walking. Also it seems in these times of Lockdown while the roads have been a bit quieter maybe it’s the time to practice some of these manners.
Stay safe out there everybody.

4 Likes

Without wishing to disrespect contributors to this thread it sort of puts me in mind of that comedy sketch starring John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett (?)
If we all put our minds to it I’d guess we’ve all been cheesed off by someone else’s antics on the road?
I sincerely hope you feel ok Tizme. If you ever need to shoot the breeze, drop me a PM :+1:
Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

You’ll probably find that an inconsiderate person will be the same whether they’re on foot/on a bike/on a motorbike/on a horse/in a car/van/truck or whatever. That’s what they are, wherever they are, inconsiderate!

7 Likes

Just get yourself a big 4x4 also and you’ll get another tirade of insults on here, from a vocal minority.

Just bear in mind that it is only a minority, who complain about a minority of cyclists.

2 Likes

I was out for a drive in the countryside last Autumn on a familiar route I use. Not unexpectantly I came across a large group of cyclists going uphill. They were fairly spread out and difficult to pass so I hung back until it was safe. On reaching the top of the incline the road levelled out and visibility was sufficient for me to carefully pass some of them although the group made no effort to slow down and make it a bit easier. I passed them all except one who was lagging behind the rest after struggling up the previous hill. One of the group turned around and decided to wait for him. When it was safe to do so I managed to get passed the straggler just before a downhill section. Travelling down the hill I was aware that he was ‘going for it’, presumably attempting to catch up with his cycling chums. I gradually slowed as the road ahead narrowed (there were markings) and there were bends ahead. I could see in my mirror the cyclist was travelling quite fast. A lorry rounded a corner at the bottom and started up the hill. I slowed to a halt to let the lorry pass. The next thing I heard was breaks screeching as the cyclist realised what was happening. Unfortunately he didn’t stop in time and went into the back of my mx-5. It was a nasty accident, bad enough to need the attendance of ambulance and police. I was quite shaken, especially as it wasn’t clear just how bad he was injured. The police took statements (the lorry driver witnessed everything) and I swapped my phone details with a member of the cycling group, which had returned to the scene. All very traumatic. The cyclist had cracked ribs and needed stiches but it could have been a lot worse. I kept in touch with his progress in hospital through one of his companions. I never heard from the cyclist. The police investigation concluded with no further action. I informed my insurance company as well of course. I’m relaying the story to show just how easy it is for accidents of this type to happen and how careful we all need to be, both cyclists and drivers. I do not hate the cyclist who went into the back of my car and I hope he doesn’t hate me. I would have liked him to get in touch, but maybe he was advised against that.

2 Likes

I’d have done the same as you in those circumstances. Re the cyclist not getting in touch, it’s my betting that he’d been advised by his solicitor not to do or say anything that could be construed as an admission of blame/fault, nothing personal, just legal.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m guessing too.

1 Like

@MX2000 Presumably you, or your insurance company, were able to claim off his insurance?

1 Like

How many cyclists have insurance? Unless there is a household policy that would cover you?

1 Like

Hi. My insurance company said it would be very difficult to claim off the cyclist, especially as not many have insurance. The story I’m pleased to say though has a happy ending, as the damage was minor (no dents, just a scuff - these mazda’s are pretty tough!) which my local dealer managed to polish out. You can probably imagine how pleased I was with that.

2 Likes

I would be interested to hear @Tizme comments on the insurance issue. It could have been a very different matter if serious damage had been done to your MX-5.

A very good friend of ours is a very keen cyclist, and a paid-up member of a local club (but it’s not doing much with lockdown.)
As a club they have insurance to cover the group when out on a run, but she has also insured herself. It paid for a bit of private medical care recently when she was knocked off just cycling to our local shops and cracked her hip, and covered almost a thousand pounds of damage to her bike.

1 Like

I doubt whether a bicycle could cause SERIOUS damage to a car in a collision.

1 Like

You must be kidding. In Portsmouth last year I had a tw#t on a mountain bike drag his pedal along the door of my 5 which cost me £450. It would have cost a lot more if I had caught him !

When I lived in Cambridge, and cycled everywhere, a brand new two-tone Austin Cambridge just about managed to half overtake me on Hills Road and then immediately turned left into Bateman Street. So I had to go left as well, but was now unable to balance properly, effectively trapped and almost hung-up on the car.

The rat-trap ends on the right pedal chewed up both passenger doors and the rear wing, the brake lever and handle bar scraped the windows and doors, and I dented the roof hammering on it.

He was persuaded to stop by his wife, only just before I would be wiped out by the parked cars.
He reminded me of Mr Magoo, with thick glasses and pork-pie hat.

I was satisfied by the damage to the car, none to the bike or me, and the little bits of maroon(?) paint on the bike chrome were valued trophies when I got back to school.

2 Likes