I might have to part with the Mazda so…

My old mum is 91 years young and struggles to get in and out of my day car (Audi Q5). No way can she get out of the Mazda or SWMBOs BMW so I’m thinking I may need to face the inevitable and replace my NC1 with something more mum focused

I’m reluctantly wondering if I might be ok with either a mini convertible or even a golf convertible. Does anyone have any experience of either or any alternatives. Budget would be around £8k performance not really important but roof down pleasure is.

If it was down to me I’d buy a Honda Jazz and keep the Mazda but in reality that’s not going to happen.

Cheers

1 Like

Sell the Audi, use the money to buy a Jazz and some NC mods.

1 Like

Whatever you decide, take your mum along with you to make sure she’ll be able to get in and out.

1 Like

Can’t see either towing a 1.7 ton caravan!

Jazz maximum towing capacity is 1000kgs, so you just need two of them… :smiley:

Because on the flip side, some vehicles can be too high (as in off the ground) which can be a struggle for some people to easily get into, and it is also worth checking (if your Mother uses them currently) the position of the grab handles on the roof/pillars to help getting in and out.

(you could always show it to your Mother and ask if she likes it :wink: ).

1 Like

“Old mum 91 yrs young”

My late dad …still young at heart used to say to me “I hate getting in and out of your NB but I love it when we’re driving it…ESPECIALLY when the roof is down and we are driving at speed and I’m nicely insulated…warm as toast”

As others have posted ‘Involve Mum in Your Decision…she might surprise you’

Best

2 Likes

ha, ironically I’ve just sold a Morris Minor and yes she was OK in it. Not so great for the 100 mile commute when she visit us though and rubbish when there’s 4 of us and a wheel chair in the car. How folks managed in the 60’s is beyond me. Won’t pull the skin off a rice pud either

And yes she really struggles to get in my Q5 hence the reason for considering a replacement for the Mazda

If it’s collapsible it could go on the boot rack. :wink:

You did say performance didn’t matter :smiley:

I think now you’ve thrown the wheelchair into the mix you’re definitely going to have to take into account storage space. I’d suggest if you haven’t already done so, working out the luggage capacity of a variety of convertibles from online specs might be the way to go since it isn’t just about whether a wheelchair fits, but how easy it is to get it in as well (without throwing your back out, trapping your fingers etc.).

re performance - the Minors are lucky to get to 60 but if they do its 30 plus seconds, even the slowest Golf/Mini is 12 seconds. Her chair will fit in a mini boot, its a light weight version.

Think I’ll go and have a look at a couple and see if I can live with one.

cheers

MINIs are ticking time bombs. The VW Eos was nicely trimmed but leaked a bit.

They are getting a bit old now, but most are lightly used, consider Ford Focus CC. They drive fine, reliable, and cheap to maintain. My dad had one (before dreaded AD), and the roof was utterly reliable, even when in his AD-addled state he tried to lower it in the garage, and the roof kind of crashed. Still worked perfectly afterwards.

Why this sort of car is suggested is the door length. My mother is a paraplegic, and while past using a wheelchair much now, the wide opening doors made it very easy for her to transfer it. The passenger seat on the top of the range CC3 were height adjustable. While there was space in the boot with the top down, I used to sling the folded wheelchair into the back seat.

These Fords were built by Pininfarina, alongide a similar Volvo convertible. The early ones leaked, so much so, Ford brought them all back, took over the Pininfarina plant, and did it right. Looks alright in the right colour combination

The most you’d pay is £5k for a 2011 run out.

I’d save you the bother; Peugeot 308CCs were frankly awful inside and to drive. Tacky.

The brave pill wiill be the 2011 Mercedes E350 on Autotrader now.

An either braver pill would be the Jaguar X150 convertible, which are just about sneaking in to under £8k with higher miles. But tax on them is horrendous.

Then there is the Vauxhall Cascada, badged as a Buick in the US. GM spent an enormous sum developing this car, only for Ford et al to bail out. By all accounts a decent car. Based on the Delta 2 platform, so its a cousin to the Astra, but doesn’t share any panels. It was killed off by PSA’s acquisition of GM Europe.

They all seem to be mostly well specced up. Folding cloth roof. Unlike the Ford, designed ground up to be a convertible (which the Eos was as well, but it has problems)

£8k should get a low miles (<40k) 2016 example.

1 Like

Sell the Audi, sell the 1.7 ton caravan, buy the Jazz, buy NC mods, take mum on holiday, win :partying_face:

And by selling the 1.7 ton he could get an older/smaller (and therefore lighter) caravan towable with the Jazz :wink:

I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t be a problem getting in or out…MX-5 aside which I’d keep, one of these would be in the lottery garage if I was so lucky. :pray:
Stunning car.

2 Likes

How about a SAAB, very comfortable and good value. I admit I don’t know how costly they are to run though.

1 Like

I can vouch for the comfort, I had a new 9-3 probably the most comfortable car I’ve ever had

2 Likes

Keep the Mazda or you will regret it and be buying another one. Honda frv, not much choice but steady reliable and do everything car, with some money left to spend on the NC. I say that based on my brother’s choice of frv and s6. My daily is a GR86 so feel free to ignore me, but my 91 year old mum can get in my wife’s fiesta so no issue there

OK a tad more of a reality check. Mum fell last week trying to get I the Audi, fortunately I caught her before she hit the ground but she’s a bit bruised. She like the comfort of the Audi but not the height, tried steps and curbs but they don’t really work for her. Combination of advanced arthritis, osteoporosis and severe lower back problems means stretching and bending is very difficult. She refers to the Morgan as ‘that bloody ugly monstrosity’ and did comment that if she ever managed to get in I’d have to bury her in it because no way would she ever get out again! Thinks the Mazda is pretty but cant understand why anyone want to drive without a roof in this day and age. She keeps commenting on how nice my cousins Zafira is! Context is everything!

2 Likes

‘Mum fell last week and fortunately I caught her’

Dunno your size or your mum size but when dad used to fall I couldn’t lift him [as a female with arthritis, osteoporosis and 1980’s whiplash injury but still a quarter of century short of your mum’s age]

So it would be a question of ‘Dad we have to work together to get you back on your feet’

Total Empathy with your Mum being ‘Grumpy Mum’ …It’s a Challenge when one is no ‘spring chicken’ yourself to do Support when the person is resistant to you doing your best to help…it’s probably a reflection of their frustration that they need help but don’t want to admit it ?

Me old dad used to say ‘Respect the Elders of the Tribe’

Your Mum is one of these so :saluting_face:

Some brill suggestions from other posters re Vehicles ?

Yep…know it’s mega tough but you gotta go with what she wants as I think she will know what is best for her and even though it won’t make sense to you…EMPOWER HER

Kindest

1 Like

Another vote for the EOS. Get a 2.0 TFSi and you have 200bhp (Golf GTi). Most of the leaks are fixable with a little care and effort. Paid £3.5k for my 60k FVWSH excample and have been loving it last 3 summers. Don’t put Mum in the back though or you’ll need a crane to get her out!

Just traded my EOS in for an ND :slight_smile:

Owned for a decade - only got rid of because it was a diesel - so now worth less than it’s next service (coming up on 120K) - and I wanted a MX5.

Apart from servicing costs, it needed one suspension spring (pot hole) and one set of brake pads. Nothing else ever went wrong except…

Leaks - always the same place, top of the a pillar. There is so many different seals meeting there and any small piece of dirt caught between them would cause you to get a wet leg. The worst was when the seal between the sunroof and the driver side top became distorted - by less than 1mm. Took me ages to find where the water was getting in, but the fix was a small piece of rubber inserted into the seal to give it back the proper shape. I did get used to taking a towel to the car to sit on :slight_smile:

Drives like a golf when roof is up, you do really notice the steering when it’s down though!