If polybushes are

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk1__
  2. I’m based near: Edinburgh
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: standard bushes not polybush

Peter,

Can you expand a bit in the narrative on what you are looking for? ie where you will be using the car mainly (road/track), is the suspension modified etc. The more you can put the better responses you will get.

Thanks

Replacing bushes with OEM rubber will certainly give the car a tight “showroom” ride with less play throughout the steering and suspension than it has now (not knowing what mileage is on it).
Replacing with Polybushes will harden the steering sharpness and ride probably up to the point or rattling your teeth out.
A track only car predominantly used on smooth track surfaces, you’d not notice the hardness thru the seat of your pants but you’d appreciate it through the steering precision.
A polybushed roar car, for me, would be a no no

2 Likes

I agree with Reggie747, stick to rubber unless you are serious about having a "solid"ride. Poly bushes need more maintenance and beware you pay for what you get.
MX5 Parts sell some upgraded rubber ones which might give you additional control and some comfort?
Sorry if I just added another alternative. :relaxed:

1 Like

I’m trying to decide on new bushes too. I am seriously considering the IL Motorsport rubber upgrades - (the ones MX5 Parts sells) for my Mk2.5 - but it would be good to hear from somebody who has fitted these before taking the plunge.

One significant advantage of these would be the lack of need for maintenance.

MX5 Parts product description seem to indicate they offer a reasonable compromise between upgraded handling and ride comfort.

Either way, I believe they’re an S.o.B to fit requiring many hours of very hard work to accomplish :weary:

I have recently replaced my poly bushes with genuine Mazda parts and the cars handling has been transformed for the better, in my opinion using the oem parts is really the best option as it’s a big job that you would not want to do twice.
Do the IL ones have the different compounds for the rear lower outer bushes?

I did hear that Dave Pook, a legendary suspension guru, states that OE bushes give by far the best compromise of ride and handling and that he would not recommend polybushes for the road.

OP has a Mk1 like myself which has done about 100K how many bushes are there and what sort of cost would it be to get them all changed?..I’m guessing you would be paying a lot more for labour than for the parts?

SavageGeese review of the NC with mazda engineer Dave Coleman. So it’s not specifically an NA but they talk under the car about bushing compliance and how it affects steering response and handling. I would imagine for the road OEM is best.

Brilliant video Jimbo, every NC owner should see it.

When I first drove an NC after many years in a NB VVT-I Sport it felt so complete and grown up it was, to use the over used word, amazing. Grip is undoubtedly superior and I love my face lift model but I would say a little bit of steering feel and agility has been lost on the way. The superior integrity is definitely worth it though.

2016ND 1.5 SEL
Rubber bushes on rear hub carriers (Knuckles) worn.
Two worn bushes are located both right and left side lower front adjusting (cam bolt) arms.
Think they are the camber adjust links but not sure.
Been suggested by my independent garage that I could replace the worn rubber on these alignment links only (Rear driver and passenger sides). Keeping all other rubbers for a less harsh ride.
Seems like a good idea to keep expense and preserve the ride.
Anyone see pitfalls of this approach.