It's time I gave something back to the forum

The Roadster failed its MOT test in 2019 due to one of the steering gaiters being split. These were replaced by the garage. Months later I noticed that one of the rubber boots on a tie rod end had a very small split in it, so I decided to replace both of them before the next MOT. I chose these as replacements:

Febi Bilstein Tie Rod End 42458

Internet prices vary so you’ll have to find your own seller. I selected these as they appeared to be nigh-on identical to the originals, which meant I might get away with not having to get the tracking re-done immediately – see below.

I’d done this job on another car many years ago using a hammer to split the joints. The joints on the Roadster appeared to be the originals, so expecting a difficult time, I decided to buy a joint splitter.

Draper Expert Ball Joint Separator 28882

Again internet prices vary considerably for this item, so I’ve not suggested a source. There are other types and brands of splitter, but too cheap may mean poor materials – you want to joint to break, not the tool.

There are lots of Youtube videos for this job, covering all the methods of breaking the joint. This excerpt from Wheeler Dealers gives a good explanation.

Wheeler Dealers Video

This one is for the Mazda 323, but uses the splitter

Autodoc Video

In his video, Ed China notes differences between old and new joints, requiring tracking to be re-done. I went a stage further and, before splitting the joint I put a dab of tippex on the tie rod and made a reference measurement from the centre of the joint (the fixed bowl part, not the moving pin) to a point on the tippex, which I marked with a pen. Once the old joint was off I measured from the centre of the joint to the edge and compared it with the new one. This meant I could compensate for any difference. As it happens, the Febi Bilstein joint matched the old one. So far, I’ve not noticed any problems with steering drift or abnormal tyre wear.

1 Like