It's time I gave something back to the forum

When planning the dashboard removal, I’d intended to remove the seats for better access. Four bolts on each, easily accessible - how hard can it be?

Well, I only managed to get the front bolts out on both seats, the rear bolts were solid. A couple of days of Plusgas didn’t work and there’s no room to get a long breaker bar in there. I gave up trying and did the dashboard job anyway.

Later, while considering changing the differential oil, I’d read that the drain and filler plugs can be difficult to remove – hence the advice to make sure you can remove the filler plug before draining the oil. I tried mine – it wouldn’t budge.

I needed some grunt, so I decided to buy this:

Impact Wrench

And these:

Impact Socket Set

Powe-e-e-r-r-r-r-r. The differential filler plug came out, as did the seat bolts. Now for the oil change.

A quick note about the seat bolts. The rear ones had corroded, locking both the threads and the mating faces. What concerned me was the white powdery deposit. This may just be corrosion of zinc plating, but the greenish sheen on these bolts reminds me of cadmium plated parts. If this is cadmium “white rust” you must be very careful not to inhale or ingest any of this dust.

2 Likes