JAB JAB.. age 54

I had my first jab of AstraZenica (funny how it was called “Oxford” when everything was going well, but “AstraZenica” after possibility of links to blot clots…) and was told to wait in my car for 15 minutes before driving home.

Me and the Missus had ours last night.
I feel ok, however my missus ( who is never ill ) woke up this morning with a banging headache, and mild symptoms like she had a cold.

I took her in to work as I am off on Furlough at the mo, however by 11 o’clock she felt so bad she asked me to come and collect her , this has never happened before.

My own employers have asked that anybody having the jab, could they please try and book it when they are off shift and not the day before they are due back on,This is because of quite a few folk saying that they felt ill afterwards for a couple of days.

We also both had a Lateral flow test early afternoon, just to make sure we didn’t have anything nasty…

both aged 55.

I think our government has done a pretty good job getting this many folk vaccinated in such a short amount of time, back in December I was thinking I wouldn’t get my 1st dose til June, July or August.

4 Likes

Had my AZ done at midday today in Mansfied, at the old Wickes D.I.Y store - I thought I might have to “Do-It-Myself” for a minute…! :rofl: All very efficient and just advised not to drive for 15 minutes. Got my free “Ive had my Covid vaccination” little sticker too:) 2nd one due on 8th June…

2 Likes

…given the current concerns I have contacted my surgery today and have asked for it to be removed… :slight_smile:

Astra Zeneca, and they were the Anglo-Swedish company that made it a reality.

But a substantial portion of the vaccines being delivered and used right now are technically Serum Institute; the AZ vaccine made under licence in India. There was a period when India could manufacture it more quickly than domestic need could use it. Its interesting, because the Serum Institute is the world’s largest manufacturer of vaccines, and incredibly experienced at it, but for Astra Zeneca, this is the first vaccine they have ever made.

The term “Astra Zeneca Vaccine” long predates in usage the current minor health concerns.

For instance, the Scottish governent referred to it as Astra eneca Vaccine in November

as did the NHS

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/receipt-of-refrigerated-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-by-trusts/

and so forth.

Oh, I fully accept that AstraZenica was in use as well - my comment is more about those who, for political reasons, chose to call it the “Oxford” vaccine and who are currently rapidly back-pedalling.

1 Like

There is a BBC online news article that says vaccine production in India,( a major manufacturing/exporting nation), is experiencing problems due to a world shortage of raw materials. Consequently production figures are not being met and supplies to some nations (UK) are facing delay, and others (Nepal) cancellation. So to those putting off the jab I say “get it while you can”.

3 Likes

I think that perception is mistaken; the terms AZ, Astra Zeneca, Oxford Astra-Zeneca, Oxford vaccine are all being used interchangeably. There’s no change going on.

4 Likes

There has been a shortage from the start, but some of it is self-inflicted shortages. Take for instance the vials used; they’re not ordinary glass vials, but even so, the total numbers of vials needed is actually pretty small compared to the overall production by vial manufacturers. But the market is dominated by 3 or 4 manufacturers. At the start, the largest, Schott, weren’t particularly interested, because they doubted they would get paid, and were expected to retool (they wouldn’t be paid in advance, but only on delivery). A significant reason India is also winding back on exports is a spike in cases at home.

Although Astra Zeneca and Serum Institute won’t be making a profit at this, their suppliers are. They’ve agreed a price with government. The UK and EU paid in advance for the vaccines, including the raw materials. The Serum Institute were to supply the UK with 10 milion doses, and had already delivered 5 million. The cost price of the AZ vaccine is about £3 a shot, and, for argument’s sake, about £30 for the others. The ingredients and components are much the same for all vaccines. Shortages could also well be as a result of being priced out in a competitive market.

1 Like

I heard a quote yesterday - not sure who made it…, but someone called the AZ vaccine the “Aldi Vaccine”… That’s fine for me being a loyal Aldi customer :slight_smile: And my once or twice a week visit in the MX-5 is tops… :joy:

Let’s be honest, nobody really cares what it’s CALLED as long as it does what it’s supposed to do! :grin:

2 Likes

been and had my AZ jab today at 2pm…
:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

Just had my second - 62, front-line worker - some say the side effects are worse for the second but no problems yet

2 Likes

How are we all feeling after JAB 1? I had a headache the following day and still feel a little light headed, sore arm has gone :+1:

1 Like

All good… Had my 1st AZ one last Thursday - Got to just over 2 days in a had a sore arm, but now, 5 days in… All good :+1:

1 Like

All good after jab ,
No issues at all :white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

1 Like

The day after my first dose I had the snuffles and wasn’t feeling 100%. Back to normal on day 3, except a slightly sore arm.
I doubt catching covid would be as insignificant, and for once I’m glad I’m no longer a European.
61 btw.

1 Like

never felt a thing

Had my 2nd jab today and feeling fine. Wife and daughter feeling like ■■■■ (rhymes with tap) after having theirs yesterday. Hoping it won’t affect me tomorrow

Had my AZ at 3pm today. Feeling fine now, but got my fingers crossed for the morning. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: