Journey of a 19 year old NC1 owner

Yeah, when I first got my Fiesta when I was 17 (it was a 1.1), I ended up paying over £1700 for it in insurance alone. Insurance is mental. Luckily my mx5 is much less than that as I got the 1 years no claims from the fiesta.

1 Like

I just got my MX5 and I am 65 so you are a lucky lad, take care of it. mines a 14 plate in cherry red and despite a few niggles with the dealership its just lovely to look at, I really need to drive it more!

1 Like

They’re amazing aren’t they! Thanks for the kind words and I hope you enjoy your MX5 too :+1:

Matt.
Both my wife & I think you’d be wise to fit a front/rear sweep GoPro or similar.
Young dude in a fancy sports car…you can guess.
My missus stopped getting picked on when we got one for her 5.
Not to mention Plod. Not all of them are Knights of the Road.
I’d also advise you also to keep a print hard copy of your docs ( MOT/Insurance) in the glovebox.
If they “need to check”…or are just being sh***y…they could be ages. The DVLA system is borked.

3 Likes

No worries, I have already purchased a dash cam in preparation! I do need to look at a rear dash cam though. And thanks for the advice regarding insurance details, I’ll make sure to do that!

2 Likes

I have somewhat bad news :frowning:

Someone at my workplace who I’ve had close contacy has inevitably tested positive and now I’ve got to have a PCR Test. If I test positive, it means I’m not going to be able to pick up the car and my dad will have to go for me instead. Unfortunate but that’s just reality right now. Will update later!

Oh no…! Think this covid is going to be around in some shape or form for years… Hoping you get a negative test and the all-clear for Saturday…

Rob

well done and welcome to the club

Looks a great car and at 19 you have started down a good line with an MX5. Hopefully you will get a lot of fun out of it.

A point to remember is that it is rear wheel drive, so will drive differently to your fiesta. My daughters boyfriend got an MR2, which was rear wheel drive too. He was used to a polo. However the first time it rained he spun it and wrote it off. So be careful, especially when the road is not dry. It takes some time to learn how to handle a rear wheel drive car when they start to slip.

Anyway, that warning over, I hope to see you around. I am in Davenham in Cheshire (just outside Northwich). I have a 21 plate ND in Soul Red and I will always have the hood down unless it is raining a lot, so if you see any other MX5’s of any vintage, just wave. Some will wave back and some wont, but do not get hung up about it.

I was coming home past Tatton Park through Knutsford on Tuesday evening and a lime green NC like yours was following me. We briefly waved, but its more difficult when someone is following you.

As far as what to post, basically any questions, adventures and things that others might find interesting - not just about MX5’s. Have a look at the forum and join in, but just have fun!!!

1 Like

Hi Snelly,

Thank you for the warning, I will make sure to bear it in mind. I’m aware of my own personal inexperience and thusly do not plan to push my luck.

Also, it’s funny you should mention tatton Park as I actually work at an office based there! Maybe we’ll see each other!

Many thanks,
Matt

Yes, I usually take the long way home from near Manchester airport. I go past Ashley and the Tatton park, through Knutsford and on to Davenham….far better than down the motorway!

Yeah, there’s some brill roads that way :+1:

Go that way often myself. The best breakfast ever can be had at the Hartford diner (now the A556 diner) been going there 20 years or so now.

Might have to take a look when I get the MX5 :grin:

Welcome to the club, you lucky man! I had to wait until I was 48 to get my first 5. Same colour as yours. Love it.
I hope you don’t test positive, especially when these covid tests can give false positive results.

1 Like

Thanks Christophe,

They are amazing cars and the colour is perfect imo. Got my fingers crossed for results, should be getting them back today :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi, is the “Hartford Diner” on the left just after the blue bridge? I have been past thousands of times, but never stopped.

Well done Kiddo. About 4yrs ago we bought our granddaughter an NC 2l Sport as a 21st birthday/graduation present. As her birthday wasn’t for a few months and secrecy was paramount I had the use of the car for the interim, tough I know, but someone had to do it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the birthday party went down a storm, total surprise, and I thought it about time I sourced my own MX5. I’ve had the NC 3 and a half years now and it never fails to leave me with a silly grin on my face. At 80yrs(young?) I hope I have a few more years NC-ing ahead of me. Enjoy your mx5 motoring. Bob

5 Likes

Yes, that’s the one.

1 Like

Thanks Bob, very nice to hear your story! Only one day till I get mine now! That is, if my results come back negative… :crossed_fingers: