K&N Air Filters and Typhoon Intakes

Hi guys,

I’m a new MX-5 owner (MK2.5, 1.8i S-VT Sport, 2003) and I was wondering about buying a K&N air filter and a K&N Typhoon Intake to improve performance.  In your opinion, do you think it’s worth it?  Do they make that much of a difference? 

I have a MK3 and did a back to back test with panel filters, K&N oiled V Pipercross non oiled, the piper cross appeared to give the best result and best sound. I sold the K&N panel filter as I did not want to affect the sensor with an oiled filter.

Cheers

Derek

I agree about not using an oiled type air filter to a fuel injected engine where the sensors can get covered in a light mist of oil (K&N is such a type). I fitted one to a BMW I previously owned and the performance went down, rather than up. I eventually saw that there was oil on the MAF sensor; I cleaned it off with carb cleaner and the lost performance came back. I put the original air filter back on.

I have however used K&Ns on other engines with carburettors with very good results.

I have the K&N Induction on my MK2, no difference in performance, but it looks good and sounds lovely.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Is the spring rally in Bristol a good place to pick up parts like air filters?

MX5Parts will be there and I imagine they will be offering discount across their range as usual, so yes, most probably.  

I have a mk2.5 1.8 VVTi, I put in a K and N panel filter in the original air box about 3k miles ago, I believe there was improved throttle response at the time and worth the money.

On Saturday I put on a K and N Typhoon kit, and there is no difference in performance (is has a good heatshield in place), there could be reduced performance (but I have not noticed it), but the noise is amazing. Combined with an MX5 Parts back box it really barks!

Purely on loving the sound, it is worth every penny. Feels more sporty even if it makes no difference to performance. You will find yourself stomping on the accelerator more often, so its a great way to turn money into petrol, into sound!

Oh and MX5 Parts are running a discount over the Easter Weekend so no need to wait until the Spring Rally!

Just keep the money in your bank account or to save hassle if you must spend the money, just put it in the bin. The performace improvement to your car will be the same but you do not have to bother ordering online, waiting for the parcel to arrive and chase it up when it is possibly late and then fit the part to your car.

Hi All,

Was thinking of putting a Ram Air induction kit onto my 2001 1.8 - anyone else tried this filter kit? I had one on a BMW 320ci last year and the noise it made was great, but can’t confirm if there was an increase in performance as the car was pretty slow anyway.

Cheers.

CM84

Any perceived performance increase from a panel filter, or even a massive ram-air system will be 99% placebo effect.

Anyone who says one changed the dynamics of their vehicle at a stroke is probably looking to sell you one

You get the wonderful noise from a typhoon induction style kit, but as you say, no performance increase. Just a nice induction bark!

I know people say don’t waste your money and throw it in the bin instead. but what every floats your boat, we are all different. If a nice induction sound puts a smile on your face, then go for it :wink:

Oh and just to confirm, I don’t sell anything MX5 related! I’m just a fan of MX5’s and a good induction sound!

Exactly my thoughts.  Call me cynical if you like, but car manufacturers spend vast sums developing vehicles and if a simple cheap change would have any measurable benefit (emphasis here on ‘measurable’), believe me they’d do it.  That’s why they use things like paper air filters which are extremely efficient and don’t clog up AFMs.  After spending time and money ‘improving’ their vehicle owners will be looking for benefits and generally ‘testing’ the results.  So, no surprise, it ‘feels’ better.  

JS 

Just to add balance to this… Yes car manufactures spend a lot of money on development. But the MX5 is a prime example of a manufacture that can sometime cut corners. For example I’ve seen a couple of discussions on the new mk4, where new owners have had the bottom stripped and under sealed in places Mazda missed to prevent the rust that most fives suffer with. So they spend money on development and the resonance in the standard Mazda air box is very good and very hard to beat. But as with all manufactures the cost of production means they will not always do everything to the best of their ability for the car. They also need to consider all fuel types across the world and many other regulations they have to reach to be able to import cars to different countries.

I still maintain that a K and N panel filter in the original box felt better (throttle response) and I know somewhere there is a little evidence on others posts that a few BHP where added due to increased air flow (but very negligible). But yes I also agree this could let in rubbish to damage the MAF over a long period of time.

So does the K and N panel filter add a couple of BHP, probably yes but very marginal. Could it cause issues long term? I doubt it but there is a possibility it could.

So does a typhoon induction kit add BHP, possibly not as the Mazda air box is very well designed, but does it sound great? In my opinion yes!

Just my 2p worth not long after I got my 93 import I fitted a K+N 57i induction system , and adjusted ign timing to 14 degs btdc and 4/2/1 ex manifold and cobra? no cat system , wether its any faster more economicalor its the placebo effect --------- Idon’t know ---------- and guess what --------- I dont care !! I like it and thats enough !!!

Hi all,

Rather than a Ram Air kit i have fitted a K&N 57i kit i purchased of ebay (used) and the engine management light camr on straight away. Could this have something to do with the increase air intake - and will the ecu recognise and adjust on it’s own? Spoke to K&N customer services this morning, chap said it could be a small air leak in the trunking around the MAF sensor or something? Weird thing is i fitted it last night - saw the management light on - took it off and put the stock filter box on - management light went off - refitted the K&N this morning, and the light is back on - which makes me think there is no leak?

The guy from K&N also suggested taking the Negative terminal off the battery - leaving for 30mins or so - then re-fitting to try and reset/clear the light - anyone tried this?

Thanks.

That is strange, if you have a mk2.5 can you get the engine code off the ODB2? That will give you some idea. The ECU compensates for additional airflow and increases fuel, I checked the before and after on the ODB2 to get readings. About 6% to 8% increase in fuelling as a result of the change.

Potentially the MAF is faulty on the on the 57i kit?

Hi IanFik,

The guy i got the kit off (when i asked him about it) said that he knew a few people who had put these onto cars - and the management light came on and then went off after around 50 miles or so - which is when i’m assuming the Ecu levels/resets itself?

I’ll get a code reader off ebay for the OBD2 port and see what it says.

Thank you.

As a side note, mine is a 2001 (51 plate) - will this have an obd2 port - either inside the car or in the engine bay?

Thanks