Lazy seat belt modification

Dickie Dover's MX5 (Mk3 NC1) 'Lazy seat belt' fix.
Yes, ladeez n Gennulmin, I have pretty much sorted my seatbelt's apparent inability to retract at more than glacial speeds, here's how to do it ...

NOTE: I take no responsibility for you doing this. It worked on my car using my 30+ years experience of fettling odd vehicles and sorting my own stupid mistakes - do this mod at your own risk.

Time taken - 10 minutes, 15 if you’re of a nervous disposition, 20 if you stop for a brew between seats
Tools - stanley knife or similar and a big hammer (this is important, ideally use something with a bit of weight about it, bigger than a claw hammer, maybe a good 500g 1/2lb)

Step 1
remove the trim covering the seatbelt hoop by pulling out the plastic pin beside the seat and unclipping the plastic.

test that the seatbelt now goes back quickly when fed vertically. If not then your seatbelt may need replaced.

Step 2
holding the belt material RIGHT out the way, carefully trim back the plastic bar between the belt and the back of the loop (about 1mm thick - no need to go deeper)

Test that the belt now retracts quickly when fed horizontally (ie as of you’re in the seat and unclipping it and handing the belt back to avoid the clip hitting the window.

At this stage, if you reassemble the trim it will not be much better and shaving plastic off the trim panel won’t help so here comes the important part

Step 3
again holding the belt material out the way, use the hammer to hit the top of the loop DOWNWARDS. Use a firm, single, hit at each forward corner to bend the loop down by a small amount.
reinstall the trim panel and test. If it is not much better then hit it again but you only need ~1mm extra space to sort it out. The outside corner may need a shade more ‘percussion’ to improve the angle of dangle.

Once you’re happy, re-install the trim and sit in the car and feel the wave of pleasure that for 10 minutes effort and exactly £zero you’ve sorted something extremely annoying.

You’re welcome.

No automatic alt text available.

In the picture, is that the “trimmed” material being removed?

Barrie

Yes it is.

The places to hit are the top corners of the loop. It’s the angle of the loop in relation to the shoulder of the seat that’s the problem.

If you remove the trim and let the belt run free into the loop you’ll see it form an arc that is impeded by the excess plastic and the trim as standard.

I can only assume this gets worse as the belt edges fray slightly with age.

Once again the old adage is proved.

If you can’t fix it with a hammer you’ve got an electrical problem.

1 Like

To be fair, it took me 15 minutes of thinking and examining before bringing out the hammer. At least 13 minutes longer than normal

Wow. Any thinking time when a hammer is available shows great restraint. Respect.

Added to the list of to do jobs, many thanks.

Thank You! Putting this on my to do list. 

Barrie

Well certain Mk1 cars had an electrical tensioner in then and that has to be tweeked if I remember to get them to retract properly!

Now with added video

https://www.facebook.com/richard.dover.73/videos/1564664230237361/

2 Likes

Fantastic! Credit where due. I think I’ll be attempting this!

AKA taking out the seatbelt relaxer fuse.

Most Mk1 seatbelt retraction issues seem to be down to how dirty the webbing is. The early non-airbag Mk1 reels are very simple, the later ones (1995+) are very different, as I think Mazda on the later cars used a common part irrespective of if an airbag was fitted or not.

A belt can be rewebbed for about ÂŁ35; had my S-Limited belts redone, after noticing a small nick in the webbing, and not willing to take a chance with a part from a scrapped car. Belts came back, in red webbing closely matching original, and with perfect retraction. The supplier had never done a MX5 belt before, and said there were some unique features how Mazda attached the webbing to the reel using welding.

. try yours barrie, ( mind the chrome work )…then i’ll ave a go…

just watched the video, looks simples…

think longest job for you barrie is removing the chrome…

thanks for info RDover 

1 Like

nipped outside to do this top tip…no time like the present . 

i’d say drivers side 75% better , passenger 90% better , thats after cleaning the guides too…but its definitely worth doing…

mine went from needing to be fed back carefully by hand to how it is in the video  no cleaning was done  

relieved it works for others ???

"think longest job for you barrie is removing the chrome… "

Don’t know what you mean Geoff? 

Will definitely be giving this a go as my seatbelt retraction ability is pretty poor?

Barrie

Good post RDover and thanks for taking the time to do the video. 

Thank you RDover for this very useful post! My NC drivers seatbelt is becoming a real nuisance and this definitely looks a good solution!

Just need to source a hammer…