Lights on all the time

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2014 Mk3.75__
  2. I’m based near: __Burton On Trent
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Lights

On my Mk3.75 the lights are on all the time, at first i thought this was the auto lights but this option is not available and i cannot switch them off. Has any one had this problem before ?

Do they stay on when you switch the ignition off? Surely not…

A little more info needed really…

How/when did this particular fault start?

Does it happen when you insert the key in the ignition or when the engine is running?

Peculiar electrical happenings can occur when water has got into that small fuse board inside the car but also you can’t rule out a switch failure.

As Mick said previously. Sounds like windscreen scuttle grommets leaking and ingress of water into the passenger side fuse box, causing a short.

1 Like

Thanks for info will check passenger side. The lights come on when I turn the ignition on, you can turn the switch on to go to side lights etc. All work main dip etc. Lights off when switching off. Only had this car a few days.

Exactly which lights come on when you turn the ignition on?

All lights on dip beam.

?..?.

Sounds like a previous owner may have wired them to act as DRLs. Either that or there’s a short as previously mentioned.

And check driver’s side grommet as well, some connectors there depending on the angle of the car when parked, eg facing uphill but down slightly on passenger side.

Thankyou for the feedback. Spoken to the place I bought the car from and they say this was an option when this year of car was produce to have it set up as daylight running lights ?

Nope, never had DRL’s on the NC, I have the Mk3.75 and they have been retrofitted to mine.
Best check if your lights have been retrofitted, mine had the indicators changed for switchbacks.
The headlights on yours wouldn’t/shouldn’t be changed to act as DRL’s.

Hi mick, Not sure what you mean by switch backs ? So you had your retrofitted as day light running light.

These here, hope Geoff doesn’t mind showing his video of my car​:grin::thinking:

1 Like

Ooo. That’s different, not seen them before. Makes it individual very nice :+1:t2:.

Hmm, earlier NC only have DLRs as a mod.

But see the Wiki link for the legislation in force for type approval, and check the relevant dates bearing in mind your car is a 3.75. Does the “Type Approval” refer to NC (2005) for all, or separately for each facelift? (I expect someone will clarify.)

Note: it seems sidelights and indicators are not allowed to be used as DRLs (apparently in EU, but we’re in UK)

I modded the Fogs in my NC with the kit from MX5Parts. This allows them to be either DRLs or Fogs or both depending if the Headlights or Fogs are switched Off or On etc as usual. My write-up includes a few pictures to help/confuse the unwary.

1 Like

As I understand, as the NC’s original production started before the introduction of the DRL it was therefore never a requirement for later (facelift) models to come equipped with such lights. The introduction of the ND (a new model/design) required that to incorporate DRL’s.

I didn’t fit the DRL’s on my latest NC, last owner did that job, nice mod too I must add. It’s got to help get me noticed more than not having any at all.

A DRL accessory kit was (is) available for the NC which basically turns the dipped beam headlamps and sidelamps on with the ignition. They could be switched off by switching to side lamps. Part number for the kit is C831-V7-460D

3 Likes

Thanks Robbie, that’s what mine must have :blush:. I was concerned as I thought there may be a fault / run the battery flat.
I am learning about the NC. Thanks.
Terry