Luggage Rack for a PRHT NC

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC Sport Tech
  2. I’m based near: __South Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Luggage racks

We have a PRHT NC and I’m considering buying a luggage rack for it. I have had a quick search on mx5parts, and I didn’t happen to see one that is suitable for our car?

Thanks
Trev

There is one advertised on the STHT magazine, towards the back pages .

1 Like

Just an opinion.
Would you have enough clearance to open and close the roof with a rack and indeed luggage on? (Hence why you probably can’t find one).
I reckon you wouldn’t, but more than happy to be proved wrong.
(My Bootbag ONLY JUST clears the deck opening and closing. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was thinking that myself, but I will have a look in the STHT mag?

I’ve had my eye on one too, just went to check the link and they’re now out of stock … this is the link, it might help you track one down. As others have said, the thing to watch is the clearance from the deck as it opens.

1 Like

Here is link to a you tube video of a test of the Revo rack Specificaly for a PRHT

Hope this helps

1 Like

I see that the video clearly shows where the lack of clearance is. You have to make the choice hood up or down.

2 Likes

I use the Mazda boot rack made for the Mk2 on my 14 plate PRHT - fits a a treat and looks good in stainless steel - only £50 off ebay

R

1 Like

Any legal beagles in the OC who can confirm the law on obstruction of the high level brake light?

Firstly, a vehicle does not legally have to be fitted with a 3rd brake light as its an “Optional” fitment.
Saying that you probably will not find many modern cars without one fitted.
Con and Use regulations state that only the offside and nearside brake lights are obligatory.
However, if it is fitted then it does have to work.
Therefore, if you obstruct it from view then “technically” it isn’t working because the following traffic can’t see it.
Some EU countries are okay with the obstruction and some are not.
My advice is to wire in a portable strap on/bolt on 3rd brake light to your rack/luggage/bootbag,(as I have).
A simple feed from a brake light circuit with snap in waterproof connections. :+1:

3 Likes

If you have a folding hardtop i would not recommend you fit a luggage rack as this will effect the operation of the roof

1 Like

I think that after seeing the video earlier in the thread, I agree that it is not a good idea. I will stick with bags in the boot.

Get a boot bag. It works for me and with the roof going up and down.
Easy to put on and take off.
No damage or scratches etc.
Also you can just put it on the passenger seat for security if you stop.
Can send some pictures to you if that’s what you are after. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Hi, please do send some pictures as always open to options.
Thanks
Trev

Just did 10 days away at the Lake District…with a dog :+1:.
Bootbag is fantastic.

2 Likes

Must be a red thing!
Wired in a 3rd brake light with waterproof connectors etc to the RH side.

2 Likes

I bought a new rack on eBay a couple of years ago for £150 (see pic). If you have the folding hardtop like mine you have to remember not put anything on the rack whilst opening and closing the roof.

2 Likes

Agreed. :+1:
Racks should be only for the soft top in my opinion.
You could argue the point of making sure you take the luggage off before opening and closing the roof.
But we all know that one day we would forget and suffer the consequences and expense.:flushed:

2 Likes

We used a revo rack on our 2019 road trip to Spain, France, Italy, Austria, Germany & Holland covering 2500 miles in just under one month. The rack was brilliant and easy to remove, & store in the passenger seat/footwell overnight. We carried a small suitcase on the rack.
However, I would tend to agree with some of the comments posted. The case had to be removed from the rack each time the roof was operated which only took a few minutes, BUT!……… it was a pain if it suddenly started raining and the roof was down as I had to get out of the car, remove the case whilst my wife operated the roof, then replace it on the rack.
Also, whilst on the autoroute around Rome, the traffic slowed to a crawl and the temperature was 39 degrees! Because the traffic didn’t come to a complete halt, I was unable to get out & remove the case so we couldn’t put the roof up & switch the air con on. My wife held an umbrella over us for some shade, I’m sure the Italians thought we’d gone mad!

We are planning a trip to Northern Spain & Portugal next June so, we are fitting the rack but not carrying a suitcase on it. We will just use a soft bag which can be folded up & stored under a seat for any food shopping en route to our accommodations as the boot will be rammed!

1 Like

Appreciate this is an old thread … but here’s my experience withe the Revorack on an NC 3.5 PRHT
Not long back from 1780 mile round trip along the NC500 / Scottish Highlands west coast over 8 days with the Revorack carrying a 10 litre fuel can (full) & dry-bag (footwear and coats). Reckon around 15-20Kg max. It was brilliant.

Whenever we did have raise or lower the lid (a few occasions when we couldn’t maintain 40-50mph) it was simple enough to jump out, pop the suckers, and lift/ slide the loaded rack about 8-10" over the lip of the boot to give clearance for the cover moving back in operation. Might be tricky if you’re on your own. Each night it was stowed in the boot with the bag and petrol can sitting on top. We did motorway, some stretches at French speeds, for 800 miles with no consequence from drag - apart from mpg, of course. And best of all, no witness marks left on the paintwork. Really does what it says on the tin.

Must admit I didn’t worry about the 3rd brake light. I’m aware if fitted it must “work” so next time round I think I’ll just pop some black gaffer tape, or something like that over the lens. If any plod really wanted to make a fuss I think I’d be happy to take that argument all the way.

Handy tip: turn the front sucker so the pump button is pointing across the car. When the lid is down you can keep an eye on it in your rear view mirror. I figured if that showed signs of losing vacuum then it would be time to stop and check the others. I also got into the habit of giving them all a top-up squeeze whenever we stopped though they never seemed to need it.

1 Like