Mazda Mx-5 Steering Feels like it's gliding left and right

Good question.
That part sticking out at an angle looks awful but I’ve got one as well.
There’s nowhere really to tuck it in and I can only assume it’s to funnel airflow onto the brake discs.
Is it?

It’s the brake disc back plate, and is knackered.
the angled part directs a flow of air to the disc, (but I’m not sure it should look like that), it’s main function is to protect the disc from water/sand/stones/mud or whatever.
You usually have to remove the disc/hub assembly to get them off, but they’re not expensive to replace.

What ever its meant to look like it looks the same on the other side so it must be that shape. Ill have a look at replacements for them aswell😂

When i search for brake disc back plate the results don’t look the same, is there another name or a picture you could show me?

Couldn’t find one for the front but you can get the idea from this.

Barrie

The fronts have that angled section, the rears are flat. If you remove the disc by taking off the caliper bracket you can get to the back plate and do the replace or rust converter, prime and paint process on both sides. You will also see what the pads and calipers are like while you do this. Not expensive unless you are costing your time. Maybe a job for the winter if you take the car off the road?

Agreed the fronts seem to be like rocking horse manure. :flushed::+1:

2 Likes

:joy: rare beast indeed! :+1:

Barrie

1 Like

Maybe try a Mazda Dealer, you never know.

2 Likes

Hi, me again😂

I’ve looked pretty much everywhere I can think of, and I can’t seem to find a a a front disc brake back plate anywhere are even googling pictures of it doesn’t seem to exist I’ve searched through pretty much every YouTube video, I can’t find one does angled like mine so maybe they’re possibly change the shape over the years?

Thanks

They’re exactly the same as the ones on my 2006 NC. I wouldn’t worry too much about them short term unless they are hanging off. Just pull off any really crusty bits and, if you want to, clean up what’s left and treat them for now. It maybe doesn’t look very pretty but doesn’t affect braking performance.

1 Like

Hiya, I wouldn’t worry, just take off what’s left of the originals and run without! Yours are probably doing nothing anyway, the shape they’re in :eyes: if a pair pop up anywhere in the future you can always fit at another time.

Barrie

1 Like

Cheers for your help, ill do that then. I would like to replace my brake discs and paint the calipers. Im a complete novice is this something i could do or would you advise me seeking professional help?

TBH, if you’re not feeling competent, I’d leave the brakes to someone who does. You will need a selection of tools and don’t work under a car relying just on a jack, axle stands needed providing you have a decent hardstanding to work from too. Brakes are important so make sure they’re worked on correctly. :+1::+1:

Barrie

1 Like

Very good point tbh, ill just paint the calipers lol

1 Like

Looking at your photos, the discs don’t look too bad. If the pads have got life in them and it stops ok, in a straight line without juddering, I wouldn’t be rush to change anything. Nothing to stop you tarting them up if you want to though!

1 Like

I got 2 Avon ZV7’s fitted for £96 at national tyres a couple of weeks ago…

Ive found a place that will fit 2 for £77 each. Not a bad price

1 Like

£77 each?
I got both for £96 fitted…

Wow i need to find a cheaper place then