MG4; a significant car?

I couldn’t care less what my daily driver is powered by and have no issue with EVs . The poor charging structure is the only disincentive to my owning one. I bow to nobody in my love of a characterful and vocal ICE but most of the cars most of us drive most of the time are almost inaudible, and even when roused tend to produce little more than an anodyne white noise from the engine room . Of course , if every ICE sounded like a Chevy Smallblock V8, a Ferrari V12 or an aircooled Porsche flat six nobody would want to give that soundtrack up - but most ICEs do nothing of the sort , do they ? The few ICE moderns which are highly audible tend be ludicrously overpowered premium German cars whose contrived farting , popping and banging makes them appeal to 14 year olds of all ages.

2 Likes

sorry I also forgot to add the cost of the charging unit at your house… (circa 2k? if not more)
I was simply comparing “fuel costs vs savings” in the simplest manner as I have had enough of people telling me EV’s are cheap to run.

and yea 60mpg for family cars is doable now.

People will dismiss and laugh at MG, but didn’t they do the same with Japenese and Korean car brands.

Aye right enough eh?
After all, the UK built MGs were a paragon of reliability, fit & finish, & bullet proof build & mechanical integrity . :wink:
So saying…the Chinese built MG’s (TFs?) were pretty tacky and even interior smelly when new.
I sat in a couple of examples in a Stirlingshire showroom and it was orange peel & Grand Canyon shut-line city. No wonder they did not take on in the UK by which time they were “market obsolete” anyway. The Demo example was in the workshop getting a tougher Landrover HG fitted as the “original” was weeping like the Torre Canyon.

But that was years back. Things have moved on a lot.

I don’t hear any issues about licence built BMW’s or Volvos or anything else out of China.
My Apple 12 smartphone has been 100%.
Believe me, if by some magic wand all Made in China components or complete products were made to stop, you’d be left with naff all at home or in cars.
Like it or not, China is the main player in global manufacturing supplies.

2 Likes

Your calculations are to simplistic. You have used lots of ‘numbers’ to put over your point of view but the important bits, as usual, are the ‘omissions’.
As a retired accountant when asked ‘what do the numbers mean’ we would always reply ‘what do you want them to mean’.

As an aside, I remember introducing diesel cars into the fleet at work, the opposition was almost unanimous and overwhelming.
Once experienced in ‘normal’ driving most of them expressed the desire to stay with diesel. Those with caravans begged not to go back to petrol.

The attraction of ‘torque’ is quite attractive and very addictive, I fear I may succumb to it in the end!!!
:heart:

1 Like

Be-devilled with cast off but reworked & modded “old” tech GM engines I believe…just like early BMW Minis with engines derived out of those horrid Chrysler Neons. They were shyte too on several levels.

people tell me its cheaper to run an electric car. On the face of it yea it is when people forget to add the purchasing costs into the equation. My calculation is not perfect but its more accurate than just comparing “running costs”.

Don’t forget with conventional IC vehicles you will still have a vehicle that works pretty much to spec after 10y of use. I’m not too sure about the EV one. We could add many things and extrapolate the costs to 10y or 20y of use but then we will have to add replacing the batteries at some point… and that wont be cheap…

true… but what about noise…?

1 Like

Don’t have a home charger, don’t need one. 3-pin from a waterproof outdoor socket works just fine for most. EV’s ARE cheaper to run fact.
I like a nice sounding petrol engine same as any car enthusiast but we need to move on from ICE certainly where new car sales are concerned.
Off course if 100% sustainable bio-fuel happens then that might cause a change in thinking but from what I’ve read the challenges in doing this for the world are just as challenging as getting off of oil.

Hydrogen is probably not going to happen for private vehicles so I think Tesla et al are probably right.

2 Likes

It is addictive……
Don’t get me wrong the MX5 wins the contest for overall driving pleasure but I fired my wife’s Tesla down the military road next to Hadrian’s wall this morning after the school run. It is ridiculous and just the best fun in a straight line, cornering less so. It grips like hell but feels cumbersome and the tyres groan with pain when loading them into a corner.
Of course you don’t have to drive like that but it’s fun once in a while.

1 Like

Em… nope… I just showed you its not as simple to say … Oh look honey we paid 15 quid to go on a 170 mile trip simply forgetting you paid a substantial amount for that oversized moving battery. And 28K is cheap for an EV. Most of them cost 40k plus for a family car (that is not an MG)

“You omitted no/reduced road tax for EV’s in your calculations.”
That’s a subsidy paid for by ramping up my road tax to nearly £300 and the imposition of the Green Levy.
Do you really think that when we are ALL in electric cars we won’t be paying road tax at the same or higher level as before? There’s no such thing as a free lunch.
Look what happened with university tuition fees once we all fell for the student loans sales pitch. They doubled.

If EV’s are heavier and accelerate faster then a simple physics calculation tells you more power/energy is needed. How is that progress?

I think there’s very, very few petrol ‘family cars’ that will average 60mpg, despite what the manufacturers would have you believe.

1 Like

Sorry I thought you’d said “cheaper to run”. Not cheaper to own?

If you compare an ICE car with similar spec to the Tesla M3 we have well your looking at seriously fast Performance cars in the 50-80k bracket.
They will need a lot of taxing, insuring, servicing, tyres, brakes and fuel and certainly not return anywhere near 60mpg maybe half that if your lucky. How do the numbers look now?
It’s not an easy thing to compare different technologies with differing contributory factors.

There are EV’s in America that have covered 250k miles. Yes the battery packs have probably been swapped but the cost of doing this will certainly reduce with mass adoption and constantly improving battery tech.

As for the MG I don’t know if it’s going to be a game changer yet, let’s see how efficient and reliable it is and how much it actually costs to buy.

1 Like

I’m fact iirc the average UK consumption for all passenger cars on the road is around 38 mpg, and as this includes diesel cars, petrol powered ones will be considerably less.

1 Like

Vauxhall Corsa 70.6mpg.
Volkswagen Golf – 68.9mpg.
Toyota Yaris – 68.8mpg.
Vauxhall Astra – 67.3mpg.
Skoda Octavia – 65.7mpg.
Kia Picanto – 58.9mpg.
Suzuki Swift – 57.2mpg
Ford Focus – 56.5mpg

The comparison is meant to compare new IC vs EV car purchase

I would see it as an incentive to help people transition. I still pay the same road tax as you on my other cars. I’d be happy to pay EV Road tax in due course to pay for the improving infrastructure.

Efficiency for one? ICE engines suck compared to electric motors in efficiency terms. As for progress battery tech is improving at an exponential rate, they are getting more energy dense and lighter the same way car engines improved over the years. ICE development is the opposite and is just ringing the neck of an already mature technology.
The EV is charged from the grid, look at how that has progressed in recent years with integrating new technology and its diversification.
Easy to forget that petrol has to be created first from oil which has to be refined and before that it has to be found and exploited. Every part of this process consumes energy and then we burn it in our engines inefficiently and have been doing for many years.

The money to buy the thing comes out from my pocket so cheaper to own and run is what Im comparing.

If you want me to compare something equivalent to a tesla and an m4/m5/m6 i could, but then these cars are not about efficiency and saving fuel. Other factors like prestige and usage, driver comfort, luxury, sound come into play. And those factors are equally important for the people who buy those cars.

Bottom line… all i wanted to show is… owning an EV its not as cheap as they tell you it is…

Absolutely. And when they have improved to the point where it takes a few minutes to recharge them at home or in the street, (probably less than ten years the way they are improving), people will scratch their heads and laugh at the thought of driving to a petrol station and queueing to fill their cars with highly volatile and expensive fossil fuels.

2 Likes

Except Zero Petrol deliver to your door (if you pre-order currently) and work with any IC engine without any fossil fuel involved :smiley: (though I admit on a long journey this may be problematic if there’s no petrol stations left).

Not long now for the 1989 Mk1 owners to reach their tax and MOT exemption status :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with some of your points but respectfully disagree with others you made. Thats the nature of a healthy conversation I guess. Your right to some degree EVs are more expensive to buy but that is balanced by being considerably cheaper to run even at current energy prices.