MG4; a significant car?

you cannnot change physics. Batteries don’t work like that so chemistry and battery size defines the capacity as well as how much punch the battery can deliver. It also limits how quickly it can be safely charged without damaging the battery either due to charging rate or heating up during the charging phase. Also the slower the charging the more efficient (and cheaper) it is.

also It will never be a few minutes to recharge them for home use. You won’t have the infrastructure to deliver that amount of energy in that short time interval. Plus you don’t really need that as the car usually will be at home during the night slowly charging up

That may be true for current technology. It wasn’t so long ago that laptops used Ni-Cad batteries that lasted a fraction of the time modern Li-Ion ones do. Now we have NiMH. There is massive world-wide investment in research into new materials and technologies to improve charge-rate and capacity. Never say never.

1 Like

Awful

I use and have used all sorts of chemistry batteries for my other hobby (fairly large rc models)
NiMH is not new far from it
LiPo chemistry has great charge and discharge rate but highly volatile - will never be safe for cars
There are variations of these that use graphene ( single atom carbon bond structure) for even higher charge and discharge rates but they are the same in terms of a short (explosive)

The issue with batteries is energy density, discharge and charge rates, cell monitoring but the most important one is… if you crash it will it explode. And that kind of fire you can’t contain.

I think all EV use LiIon chemistry as its much safer but i think it can’t compare in performance compared to a LiPo. So… Yea IMHO unless something completely new comes along things not gunna change. My best guess is that the hype goes away and the hydrogen fuel cells get adopted more and more into cars

2 Likes

Saw a picture a while back of an accident damaged Tesla in a compound. A month after the incident it was still burning.

I worked for companies involved in industrial process control systems for most of my career. Hydrogen production, storage and transport on industrial scales is problematic because hydrogen is very, very volatile and prone to leakage because of its nature (it’s the smallest molecule in nature so it leaks through most media). The thought of hydrogen stations in the numbers we currently have petrol stations doesn’t fill me with confidence.

1 Like

Solid state batteries look interesting.

https://www.kedglobal.com/ev-batteries/newsView/ked202109240010?gclid=CjwKCAjw-rOaBhA9EiwAUkLV4mj9esl1A7LcyxR9pQYfS10wHmzuHAbO8tIypnHFtHNf_2LuxUkPahoC0Z4QAvD_BwE

Thats why they pressurise it. Cant escape that easy if its liquid. I acknowledge it has its own challenges but IMHO much rather use that technology than batteries.

1 Like

I was working on HCCI during my phd back in 2005 -2008 on the same technology mazda was the pioneer at the time. Mazda released the skyactive x i believe in 2019?

There’s a lot of things that need to happen to get research implemented to a working product

The figures quoted in the list of cars are the ‘official’ ones, and bare little relationship to what the cars are actually capable of in the real world. You’ve only got to look at the same official figures for hybrids (many are 150mpg+) to see that.

IC engines by their very nature are never going to match the energy efficiency of electric motors, and to be honest I don’t thing electric cars efficiency is being questioned, the problem is the energy density of the storage medium (batteries) being very low compared with oil based products.
Until this problem is solved, only company car drivers, possibly those living in densely populated areas who have driveway parking and don’t travel far, and the early adopters who enjoy the latest tech are likely candidates for battery only vehicles.
Just my opinion, but for probably 80% of the population they just aren’t viable. For now.

The energy density with Hydrogen is an issue. Cryogenic storage is not an easy thing to do large scale. How much energy is used producing the hydrogen and keeping it chilled at the cryo temps required?
As you say Hydrogen is leaky you only have to look at the issues NASA are having with the Artemis-1 SLS rocket which has had several hydrogen leaks from the engines and quick disconnect ports delaying the first test flight considerably.

This is very good viewing for those who are perhaps a little side tracked by hydrogen. Watch from 40 mins if you just want to hear about cars & transport although i"d thouroughly recommend listening to it all.

I used to think hydrogen was the answer but its actually part of the problem and is hijacking the issue and merely distracting us.

2 Likes

Talking of hydrogen…

Forget all about your lecy cars - they’re a red herring - if 1/4 of the ars on th eUK roads where electricit’d melt the national grid - imagine a couple o fmillion electric showers being left to run all night

But even if everthing was OK with the (it never will be) have a listen and watch of what you need to do to carry out basic maintenance - brakes, oil, 12 volt battery, spark plugs - yes all in hybrids - some of them in fully lecy cars - don’t waste your money on them!

I yearn for the days of state of the art valve radios and Diphtheria!

1 Like

Yeap quality…Redirecting...
M-m

You do realise FB stuff like that is staged for giggles?

Seriously …get real man, if the blind don’t want to see, fair enough, buy the quality, just trying to show the other side of these great built cars from the areas i deal with ,not the polish and go side.
You know very well I don’t bullsh*t , straight to the point, and stupidly i care about people getting ripped off, i have nothing to prove or gain , I hear people getting moist and flying the flag, just “beware” thats all I am saying with my opinion from the dark side of cars on the subject.
Enjoy, be safe.
M-m

2 Likes

I sometimes wonder what would be happening now in a parallel universe where electricity had been the norm since the dawn of motoring (which, incidentally did feature electric cars). And suppose ICE , petrol powered cars are now being introduced. Imagine the howls of protest - cars with -no! - ten gallons of highly inflammable fuel on board and - no ! - petrol stations in built up areas .Worse still , they have to extract the raw material from the ground in countries who may not like us - who needs all that fuss when we have enough coal of our own? There’d be street protests, petitions and conspiracy theories aplenty . Why ? All because people do not like change and will find any reason to oppose it .

The inconvenient truth is that the ICE is drinking in the last chance saloon .

Generally, people will accept “change” if it’s a really good viable alternative that has the correct price structure and the good infrastructure to support it at the correct price point.

Just one example, if you wanted to go on an extended tour with a car (as a lot of people still do) it would be an absolute nightmare trying to find “suitable” charging points in remote area’s. Indeed the number is limited and won’t change until the demand for them increases.
It’s actually quite “difficult” to find these in busy large towns/cities.
I hear so many stories of people with an EV that plan a trip to recharge, get there only to find only a few of them, too long charging time, in use or out of service.

Currently, the National Grid is “allegedly” finding it difficult to supply power for normal day to day running.
Increase that demand with EV vehicles and where does all that come from.
Under current conditions from no where.

Not an easy answer/solution certainly in the short term due to a lack of proper government/business planning from years and even decades ago.

The EV is good for the day to day commute perhaps, But if I was still working I would have a Hybrid to be on the safe side.

I do feel that our internal combustion engines will be with us for a good few years yet.

Just another opinion. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like